PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Sunday 18th August 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.

Comments

• silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 August 2019 at 7:07AM
    Good morning all

Welcome to Smallholding and DIMW

It's raining at the moment but forecast says it should brighten and be dry by late morning.

In case it helps anyone else I thought I would let you know the information I was given, by a N*tional coach booking office,was wrong. You don't need a Disabled discount card to use journey/travel assist. I have been offered the help we need and there is a lounge we can use. The person I spoke to was lovely and so helpful.

Not sure what we'll be doing today, not much.

Take care all
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone

SO - thanks for starting us off, sounds like a more positive result to your enquiry x

Hugs to those that want/need one, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and myself up enjoying first cuppas, he's watching catchup tv, and I'm on here whilst enjoying my porridge. DS1 still in his pit, and DS2 settled and ok.

Bright clear sunny start to the day, but damp underfoot so we've had rain during the night at some point, but forecast going forward looks better than this past week.

Dinner last night ended up being takeaway pizza and chips - DS2 picked it up on his way home from being out and it was delicious as always - little independent shop been there for a good while now and quality and prices are very good value. Late lunch/early dinner today will be what we should have had yesterday - menfolk will be having steak and ale pies, chips, peas and gravy. I'll be having fishcakes and caponata/stir fry type dish that I'll throw together as I feel whilst I'm cooking.

Yesterday I got done what I wanted in the morning, then DH and myself went to look at cars and it ended up being a spendy one as we've found a new to us car that we're going to part-ex our existing one for - very well looked after, clean and tidy, low mileage and slightly bigger than what we have, and when I rang the insurance company to organise the change after doing a price comparison on one of the sites, what should have been a quick change of vehicle (as nothing else has changed) became an hour long phone call being shoved from one dept to another - in summary the price comparison site gave me an excellent price from the same insurer - cutting the monthly cost in half from what we are currently paying - we're going from a more expensive make of car to a cheaper but still very good make, but the cost difference is a lot. Apparently "they" couldn't find the quote and couldn't match it ..... until I gave them the quote reference from the comparison site .... then realised that they really needed to honour it .... but then all the faff started having to cancel the old policy, but incur a cancellation charge, but as taking another policy with them, they waiver that, transferred to a dept to then set up the new policy .... hence the hour long phone call, advisor was just doing his job and was good but what a faff! we got there in the end, I await the documentation hopefully that is all correct! Car is to be collected next weekend. So spendy but insurance is less than half of what we were paying.

Today we're going to visit my parents who are having a few days away in there caravan - hope dad is managing with mum ok, she's difficult and hard work all the time now - this past 6 weeks or so she's getting worse. We'll visit DH's grandad at the same time as he's in the same area.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Morning folks and thanks SILVER-OLDIE. We have blue sky and sun this morning! But wouldn't you just know it - rain is forecast for this evening!! Welcome to SMALLHOLDING and DIMY. Our numbers are dwindling on here so new posters are always welcome .Nice to "meet" you both.

DD and family got back from the IOW last night after a much better journey than going down. BUT they got home to find the electric off and the contents of both freezers defrosting. She was trying to salvage what she could, intending to cook and re-freeze it, but a lot would need to be chucked. The fault is obviously with their supply as their neighbours weren't without electricity.

I had a bargainous trip out to Otley yesterday. St Gemma's didn't let me down - all books 50p and a brand new, with tags, pair of Wallis white jeans, size 12 and petite for 99p. Perfect for my stumpy little legs! Bargains in the Everything 20p shop too. Tesco bottle gift bags for my Xmas stash and a Tchaikovsky Poetry and Passion cd, brand new still in cellophane. And some yummy strawberries off the market!

A lazy pottering day is planned but with my family that is subject to change! Have a good day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) for the poorlies, sad, worried or lonely. Take care one and all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Good morning, and thanks SO for starting, and welcome to the new posters, we need you!!

Glad you got sorted out with your car insurance NMLC , it was worth the long phone call

It seems fine here, yesterday was windy and sunny, I got a lot of washing dry.

Sounds as if you had a good day yesterday TA.

Don't know what delights today will bring, same old same old I expect.

Anyway, hope you all have a good day
    Take care folks xx
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning All

Woke up to rain battering the windows again, set to be showery so the washing may stay inside. The bedding dried yesterday, I just got home and took it in when the heavens opened.

Welcome to Smallholding and DIMW, good to see you.
    Good news re the coach help SO.
    Happy new car nmlc!
    Glad the family had a smooth journey TA, not so good about the freezer.

I dug up a row of potatoes from the allotment yesterday, there are thousands! The neighbours will all be getting a bag. Made potato wedges for my tea and they were lovely.

Nothing much planned for today but must sort out the plastic box cupboard, deep joy!

Have a good Sunday, take care. XX
  • Hiya,
    Thank you all for the warm welcomes :j

I am doing C25K so just heading out on Week 5, Day 3 which is 20 mins solid running ... bit apprehensive as only done 2 lots of 8 mins before but going to give it a whirl. OH is treating me and his Mum to breakfast at the local cafe after. Might go for a ride if horses aren't too soggy and then home to do a roast. I picked up 3 cooked chickens in Morrison's on Fri night for 50p each. I have stripped them off and had some yesterday but will do roast with them today and then make soup with the rest (and maybe a pie?!) along with some left over veggies. HM yorkies and a HM lemon sponge for pud. What containers do people use to freeze stuff in when they batch cook?

Need to give the house a good clean this afternoon as letting agent is coming over in the morning to take some pics and get this house on the market. Exciting times!

Luv SH77 x
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,293 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Morning Everyone,

Just popped on to say Hello to everyone. I do read the posts every day.

Well we managed to go on holiday for a week to Cornwall. I did not think we would go, as mom was not well just before we went, but she has picked up. It was so lovely to just relax and the time and week went so fast.

I am hoping to hang out my washing today, but it has forecast rain.

I hope all of the folks that do not post anymore on here are Ok .

Have a nice Sunday everyone and welcome to all the newbies.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good morning everyone :hello:

Yay, my smilies are back :j:j. Welcome to Smallholding and DIMW, hope you will stick around, it's lovely to meet new people.

It's a bright and sunny morning here. Phoebe left for work at 6am and we have the grandchildren staying as their mum and stepdad were celebrating their third anniversary. I can't believe it's been 3 years since they got married. It seems to have flown by.

Steve had some brilliant news yesterday. He got a letter about his PPI claim and they have offered him £6500. We are over the moon as he will be able to buy a much better car now.

nmlc, great news about your car. I hope the paperwork comes through with no problems xx
    I love comps, glad to hear you had a lovely holiday in Cornwall. It's certainly a beautiful part of the country and good to hear your mum is a bit better too xx
    smallholding, I use the silver takeaway style dishes when I am cooking for the freezer as I can just write on the cardboard lids what the contents are and the date of freezing xx

Steve will be cooking a lovely roast pork dinner in a bit and the kids will load the dishwasher afterwards. I have bought him a rhubarb pie as a treat for his pudding as it is his favourite.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all

Pouring with rain here really lashing down, it was meant to be sunny today !! its still saying it will stop at 11 and the sun will come out, I hope so as we had planned to bbq tonight we will have to cook it indoors otherwise !

We put the new blinds up in the conservatory yesterday I cant tell you the difference it makes the old ones were a kind of velour roman blind in a mushroom colour which never worked properly, I have hated them since we moved in years ago so we changed then to a white roller blind which can be wiped down, I also took the curtains down from the patio doors intending to wash them but I have decided I dont like them any more so will get some new ones (they were second hand 10 years ago !!)

Will need to do the overnight oats today ready for work tomorrow OH calls them his 'power pack' as I make him a huge one and it keeps him going all day, and mine are actually just fruit and yogurt
    now, I dont mind going back to work as I know its only 21 working days till my big holiday so I can manage that !!

I have some washing on the go which will have to go in the td and OH needs to wash his work clothes.

Right better get on have good days all xx
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Welcome to new folk! You’re not new now!
    Great PPI news dumpling. Lovely to get a new car.
    nmlc- well done with the insurance phone call. So worth it. Enjoy your new car when you get it.
    TA - love hearing about your shopping bargains.
    Small holding - I use a mix of marg tubs and those click lock boxes. I like batch cooking and freezing. Means easy teas when I get in from work which is good as it can be busy.
    Sunny and windy here today. Day of pottering I think. I need to defrost the freezer but I’ve been saying that for months now so it’s unlikely to be done today.
    Hope you have as good a day as possible folks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport