Internation al return for damaged item as the seller?

Hopefully straight forward just been a long time since I had to fufill a return let alone an international one.

I'm a private ebay seller, sold a working hard disk drive, securely and appropriately packaged and sent with full cover and tracking via royal mail to Cyprus.

Buyer is now claiming (2 weeks after being sent) it's not working, clicking noise when installed and likely damaged in post, totally believable.

So, they started a claim on ebay and ebay are pushing me to pay postal costs, I have stated I am unable to send/attack label as it's in another country, I have messaged buyer to explain and asked them to arrange postage with appropriate packaging and cover, also asked for pictures of original packaging if possible and receipt and proof of postage when done.

So my main query is, I have to pay for the return postage correct? Can I claim this back by any means? Be it through a claim with royal mail for original postage (I'm assuming that will only cover the original post out), or perhaps through paypal? I know paypal usually cover postage costs but this would be more applicable to the buyer in this case right? Which, assuming they are registered for (they paid with paypal), essentially means, they can not only get me to pay for return postage costs but also claim it back with paypal, basically making money for free?

I know I'm missing something here, so any pointers appreciated.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Proving damage via courier/post is difficult and you may struggle to reclaim the costs of the damage.

That aside, as a return for SNAD you need to pay the returns postage.

Paypal don't "usually" cover postage costs, they have a reimbursement scheme and I have no idea if it is applicable in Cyprus.

Have you checked with the buyer if they have registered and if they are eligible for the scheme?
  • GabbaGabbaHey
    GabbaGabbaHey Posts: 1,074
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do you really want the broken disk back? What are you going to do with it?

It might be easier to just issue a refund and tell the buyer not to return it.
    Philip
  • Probably makes more sense. I suppose it would be dependant on whether I can make a successful claim on it for damage, past occurrences of a similar nature with royal mail have actually been processed successfully quickly as I recall. The other possibility, long shot, is warranty, as it was removed from a laptop with warranty for an upgrade, it's WD and they're pretty decent with warranty.

I always take pictures of everything and evidence of working condition prior, as well as packing stages which have probably contributed to successful claims in the past.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,035
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Probably makes more sense. I suppose it would be dependant on whether I can make a successful claim on it for damage, past occurrences of a similar nature with royal mail have actually been processed successfully quickly as I recall. The other possibility, long shot, is warranty, as it was removed from a laptop with warranty for an upgrade, it's WD and they're pretty decent with warranty.

I always take pictures of everything and evidence of working condition prior, as well as packing stages which have probably contributed to successful claims in the past.

You are unlikely to get anywhere with a claim against a courier without all original packaging and the item. Also, have you double checked your courier t and c's to make sure item was even covered, many do not cover PC parts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin wrote: »
    You are unlikely to get anywhere with a claim against a courier without all original packaging and the item. Also, have you double checked your courier t and c's to make sure item was even covered, many do not cover PC parts.

Just double checked and there's no exclusions against my item, including the destination for damage or loss.

Just waiting to hear back from buyer in regards to original packaging. I do have it photographed in packing stages and completion which has been sufficient before regardless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure