Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 6th Aug 19, 8:10 AM
    • 9,540Posts
    • 2,551Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Japanese Schoolkids
    • 6th Aug 19, 8:10 AM
    Japanese Schoolkids 6th Aug 19 at 8:10 AM
    I have just read that ALL Japanese schoolkids must have black hair - those that don't are forced to die their hair black
    Amazing or what ?
Page 1
    • mattvolatile
    • By mattvolatile 6th Aug 19, 8:32 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    mattvolatile
    • 6th Aug 19, 8:32 AM
    • 6th Aug 19, 8:32 AM
    Not quite -- it's only done particularly harsh schools! But there was a huge lawsuit when one student developed an allergic reaction, and so now those rules are soon likely to be prohibited.
    • CARRYONFILM12
    • By CARRYONFILM12 9th Aug 19, 10:57 PM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    CARRYONFILM12
    • 9th Aug 19, 10:57 PM
    • 9th Aug 19, 10:57 PM
    I have just read that ALL Japanese schoolkids must have black hair - those that don't are forced to die their hair black
    Amazing or what ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Always thought the Japanese are weird.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 10th Aug 19, 6:41 AM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 5,461 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 10th Aug 19, 6:41 AM
    • 10th Aug 19, 6:41 AM
    Amazing or what ?
    Surely if you die hair it will fall out as the follicles wither and die.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 10th Aug 19, 7:50 AM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 2,530 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 10th Aug 19, 7:50 AM
    • 10th Aug 19, 7:50 AM
    Conformity is the national passion in Japan. BTW The national passion in America it is food, and in the UK it is alcohol.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 10th Aug 19, 9:10 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 10th Aug 19, 9:10 AM
    • 10th Aug 19, 9:10 AM
    Surely if you die hair it will fall out as the follicles wither and die.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    What!?!

Been colouring mine for 28 years, still got a full head of hair.
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 10th Aug 19, 9:57 AM
    • 617 Posts
    • 1,412 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    • 10th Aug 19, 9:57 AM
    • 10th Aug 19, 9:57 AM
    What!?!

Been colouring mine for 28 years, still got a full head of hair.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    You probably dye your hair rather than die it
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 10th Aug 19, 10:01 AM
    • 617 Posts
    • 1,412 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    • 10th Aug 19, 10:01 AM
    • 10th Aug 19, 10:01 AM
    Amazing or what ?
    Does that include overseas student studying in Japanese schools?

Asian children tend to have naturally black hair anyway so can't see a problem with them but if a Scandinavian child is forced to dye their hair I'm sure there would be a bit of an uproar.
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 10th Aug 19, 11:55 AM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    • 10th Aug 19, 11:55 AM
    • 10th Aug 19, 11:55 AM
    It is conformity, however in most schools now if they prove that their natural hair colour is x and not the colour they are wanting then the school allows the difference. It's what they call a 'natural hair colour registry'. There are other exceptions, such as allergies etc.
    Most schools that are strict about the hair colour rules are private schools where the majority will even get foreigners to conform, whereas public schools are less likely to get foreigners to conform to the hair colour rules though yes it does still happen.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 10th Aug 19, 2:02 PM
    • 4,873 Posts
    • 8,274 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Always thought the Japanese are weird.
    Originally posted by CARRYONFILM12
    Weird ain't the word that springs to my mind; it's much worse.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 11th Aug 19, 10:22 AM
    • 23,347 Posts
    • 58,481 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    We could normalise ginger kids by insisting all schoolchildren here dye their hair ginger

[edit. very tongue in cheek - I am not saying that ginger children are not normal.]
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 11th Aug 19, 11:05 AM
    • 617 Posts
    • 1,412 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    We could normalise ginger kids by insisting all schoolchildren here dye their hair ginger

[edit. very tongue in cheek - I am not saying that ginger children are not normal.]
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    You don't need to say it, it is a proven fact anyway
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 11th Aug 19, 1:37 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 7,186 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    When I joined the WRAF in the 1970s our uniform tights were a horrible 'american tan' colour. We could get away with something a little less orange with our day to day dress, but had to wear the official NAAFI tights for ceremonial parades.

The WRAF Warrant Officer (WOW) in charge of us was obsessed with 'the right tights'. When we mustered on parade, the first thing she checked was the colour of our legs - and woe betide anyone who had just returned from leave with a tan, as they were no longer 'uniform colour'.

Then we had a West Indian lass posted in. On our first parade, the WOW was beside herself. She made the poor girl layer on 3 or 4 pairs of tights before she decided that she no longer stuck out like a sore thumb. The current PC brigade would have a fit !

P.S. Tights were later changed to a more flattering/universal 'barely black', much to everyone's relief!
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 12-08-2019 at 5:21 PM.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 11th Aug 19, 2:36 PM
    • 4,873 Posts
    • 8,274 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Did you catch "Catch 22", Silvertabby? Your post reminded me of that because of the idiotic, blind adherence to pointless regulations. (To hell with winning the war, you need to parade correctly! Don't swing your arms outside of an x degree arc!)

I would be really interested to read your memoirs; your life sounds as if it has been fascinating.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 11th Aug 19, 3:31 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 7,186 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Did you catch "Catch 22", Silvertabby? Your post reminded me of that because of the idiotic, blind adherence to pointless regulations. (To hell with winning the war, you need to parade correctly! Don't swing your arms outside of an x degree arc!)

I would be really interested to read your memoirs; your life sounds as if it has been fascinating.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    No, but I read the book some time ago. I think the rule with the tights was that we had to wear the official colour - but our legs would never look the exactly the same as everyone has a different skin tone. The WOW, however, liked to take things to extremes. I remember one barrack block inspection when she found one girl had a number of very ornate candles. They hadn't been lit, and each one had a label with a name on it, so they had clearly been bought as presents. But the WOW declared them to be a fire hazard, and confiscated them by throwing them into a carrier bag. They were all ruined.

Yes, lots of happy (and not so happy) memories and a whole heap of stories to tell. Perhaps I will write that book now I'm retired !
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Aug 19, 3:37 PM
    • 9,936 Posts
    • 34,134 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I read of the conformity thing & thought that's got to play hob with fire drills etc as how do you know Who is missing? Plus further down the security line, what about gait?

(Says she with a pack of scouts of all sizes shapes & colours even when soaking wet.)
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 12th Aug 19, 8:49 AM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 14,873 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Asian children tend to have naturally black hair anyway so can't see a problem with them but if a Scandinavian child is forced to dye their hair I'm sure there would be a bit of an uproar.
    Originally posted by duncanthedog
    Some have dark brown hair - particularly if they are from a mixed background.
    It is conformity, however in most schools now if they prove that their natural hair colour is x and not the colour they are wanting then the school allows the difference. It's what they call a 'natural hair colour registry'. There are other exceptions, such as allergies etc.
    Most schools that are strict about the hair colour rules are private schools where the majority will even get foreigners to conform, whereas public schools are less likely to get foreigners to conform to the hair colour rules though yes it does still happen.
    Originally posted by Doom_and_Gloom
    Presumably it has an element of stopping kids turning up with anime hair (pink, purple, blue etc). Hence I've heard of a UK school with the rule "if dyed, hair must be a natural colour" which allows for bottle blondes or for gingers to disguise themselves. The loophole with that would be silver/grey though.
    Last edited by NBLondon; 12-08-2019 at 8:50 AM. Reason: Korrect spellink
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,579Posts Today

7,132Users online

Martin's Twitter