PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,560 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Strict £200 budget for me for August from 26th July - 24 August.
    I move to my new house on 25th so GC coinciding nicely with this. I will have little to no fresh and frozen stuff, and just a couple of tins. Lots of dry goods like lentils, quinoa, rice etc.

My new home is going to be a new start for me in many many ways. I'm determined to take this opportunity to change how I shop and how much I store! Because one thing I learned while packing is that I keep far too much in stock.

I want to aim for about £40 a week - this should give me a little surplus in case I need any extras this month. I'm having to pay double on a lot of bills and along with increased rent and more petrol money, I now have no choice but to stay on budget.

I'll try and keep following CRANKY's example and post what I'm eating each day. I like doing that :)

There's a good chance I won't post now till I'm in my new place, so good luck everyone and I'll update the budgets as and when - you guys know I always catch up :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My July budget isn't over yet, but I know I will have smashed it after the last week (on my last week and currently £39.06/£120)

As soon as the 1st of August starts, I'll be on my new budget. This week I'll be dropping £10 a week and putting that straight into extra savings. My budget for August will be £80.

This will be the second time I have taken part in this, so just trying to find my sweet spot for grocery spending budget.
  • Thrifty_Martha
    Options
    Hi All
    This is my first time of posting and I am taking the opportunity to make changes with a new month and a new way of food shopping to help reduce costs. Month will last from 26 July to 27 August - this month budget is high at £200 due to low freezer and store cupboards as we have been living out of these for the last couple of months and now I need to do a complete restock. Planning to do a large online delivery and then shop as and when for fresh foods from local c***. Will update as necessary.

Take Care
    Martha
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 July 2019 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread, Elsiepac. Your continued running of the Grocery Challenge is much appreciated. Good luck with the move.

Please put me down for £120 for August. Our month will follow the calendar, running from 1st August to 31st. This is for two adults, for all groceries, excluding meat. (The Meat Fund is separate.)

Many thanks,

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hello, can I join in please?
    I used to post here a lot, but then left when I paid off my debt..now I’m in £10k of debt again and money is really tight.

I am feeding 2 teens and 2 adults, 2 dogs and 1 cat for £300 a month...or trying to!

I got paid 3 days ago and already spent £200 of my £300 budget, so feeling scared about only having £100 left for the month.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We are still in July as we go by calender month.

2 adults, the OH and I, and the budget is to cover all food (apart from date night) and non alcoholic drinks. August goes 1st to 31st.

Budget £200.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 July 2019 at 1:12PM
    Options
    Please may I join? I am a newbie, and just reading the rules

2 adults, budget £150

I have just been reading all the budget meal links, and making meal plans.

Thank you x
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • LIzzieM
    LIzzieM Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi, can you pop me on for a budget of £100 for August please? I'll finally be able to defrost the freezer between the 1st/2nd of the month then will do a big restock on the 3rd. Thank you, Lizzie
    Attempting £40 grocery only for the month of October.
    Let's see....
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you, elsiepac!

I'm going to up the ante a bit to £450 now. (Feeding 4+ adults with 3 different diets, 14 chickens, 3 cats and 2 cockatiels, plus toiletries & cleaning stuff. More mouths to feed most weekends!)

July was a bit of an anomaly, with 3 twenty-something birthdays in the household, and I'd just added the animal food & bulk-buys back in to the main grocery total, so came unstuck somewhat. I've realised I can cut back on the cat food now that the one who reacted badly to any grains has crossed the Rainbow Bridge, but the bulk-buy total has gone up now I'm making nearly all of our own bread & snacks. There should be a corresponding drop in the grocery total but I haven't spotted it yet!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    edited 24 July 2019 at 3:41PM
    Options
    Thank you elsiepac

I haven't participated in the challenge for quite a few months, I have been keeping a tight eye these last couple weeks on our spending on groceries.

I would love to download a simple easy to understand spreadsheet but dont know where to find one. One that I can track groceries fuel toiletries, snacks out that sort of thing. Maybe someone knows of one and I would appreciate the help.

Please add me for £400
    I feed 3/4 adults daily and a 5th at weekends and at least 4 fluffie friends :)
    Hi to all and all the best for the month of August.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure