Taking the scenic route from chaos to calm!!!

Comments

• seahorsey
    seahorsey Posts: 203 Forumite
    Thank you Starmummy - I hate, hate, hate hills. I must admit more often than not they beat me and I take the opportunity to walk for a few strides and catch my breath! I’ve got a half at the end of May which was booked last Autumn. Training has been hit and miss so Sunday was make or break to see if put myself through it or not. Think I’m going to go for it :j

Took DS to a local farm park yesterday. They often have offers on during term time with reduced entry fees. Would usually cost us £16 -£17 for the two of us to go, but yesterday we both got in for the total of £6. He loves it there, but I cannot usually justify the cost. We took a picnic and were literally there all day. Total cost for the day £7.30 (entry plus an ice cream for DS). I’m determined he won’t miss out whilst we’re on this journey so need to take advantage of these cheap (or preferably free!) days out. We’re very lucky as we’re spoilt for gorgeous parks locally.

Need to pop to Aldi for a few bits later. Running out of washing liquid, fabric conditioner and a few other bits. Will leave food shopping until the weekend though as we have plenty.

House wise, looking to tackle our bedroom today. It’s a general dumping ground! Will set the timer for 30 mins and see how we get on......

Have fun x
  • seahorsey
    Just done a quick stocktake of the freezer and cupboards - plenty to keep us going! I’ve meal planned for a couple of weeks with minimum stuff needed.

Also, forgot I need to return some running leggings, materials not what I was expecting so I’ve requested a refund number and will get them in the post today.
  • seahorsey
    Morning!
    I’ve been missing in action for a couple of days. Not really a massive amount to report.

Looking forward to a long bank holiday weekend. Nothing much planned. I have a local 5 mile ‘race’ on Sunday but other than that nothing outside the ordinary. Will just be nice to have another short week at work - I could get very used to it!!!!

Money wise, things are ticking along. Spends on fuel and a quick Aldi run. Weekends are always a bit of a stumbling point, so need to be mindful of this. There’s plenty to get done around the house to keep us occupied!

Have a great bank holiday weekend x x x
  • seahorsey
    Good morning.....
    Doesn’t look like Bank Holiday weather is going to be up to much today, just checked the forecast and it’s rain here from about 10am. So much for a morning at the park. I do have a couple of errands to run in town so will nip in and get them done early.

Yesterday’s food shopping was much better - £64 as opposed to the usual £85-£95. Have got a couple of bits to pick up at Aldi but shouldn’t be more than £7. Meal planning has definitely helped.

Had my race in the morning, I was actually really pleased and pleasantly surprised with my time. Aching a wee bit this morning, but as they say - no pain, no gain.......

Two fb / eBay sales over the weekend. Only £12 but every little helps. I’ve had the vets bill through - my estimate was £3 out! So my target for the month is to recoup the money for this through eBay and fb sales. So I’m currently standing at £12.00 / £183.00. Got loads to list so need to crack on with it!

Have a great BH x
  • :hello: Seahorsey

Have a great Bank Holiday!
    Wobbling my way out of debt one month at a time

Credit Card £0/£3,161 0% interest PAID IN FULL 29/01/2021
    Loan £0/£23,179 5.4% PAID IN FULL 31/08/2020
    Total £0/£26,340 100%
    DEBT FREE AS OF 29/01/2021

wobbling-my-way-out-of-debt

• seahorsey
    Good morning!
    Managed to survive the BH with minimum spends. The Aldi shop came to £8.12, so in total the weekly shop was between £13-23 cheaper than our usual. Definitely a step in the right direction. I’ve used the last of a couple of frozen bits, so may factor in an Iceland visit at the weekend as they are so much cheaper on some of the branded bits we buy.

It looks like it’s going to be a miserable, gloomy week here this week. We have a pass for a local play centre so looks like that might be favourite for keeping DS occupied later in the week.

Had another small eBay sale yesterday, so currently sat at £20.04 / £183.00, baby steps in the right direction. Need to get listing........

Right best go and get ready for work. Have a good day x
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Well done on the savings and sales. Have a good week :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • seahorsey
    Thanks jwil.

It’s a wet miserable morning here today. DS has only been up for an hour (it’s practically unheard of for him to sleep past 6am!) I took the opportunity to get some fb and eBay listings done - fingers crossed they bring some sales. There was another small eBay sale last night, so currently at £24.04 / £183. Long way to go but every £ helps. Also have £5.12 payable in TCB so will put this in the fund pot once it clears.

Think it’s going to be a duvet day today DS is a bit under the weather and the rain isn’t doing much to entice us out of the house. Hoping to blitz the kitchen if I can keep the little man occupied and out of mischief for half an hour. The washing basket is also over flowing so plenty to do as usual!

New smart tracker has arrived for the gas and electricity- need to phone up and get it registered etc so that we can get back on track with keeping the bills down. We were doing well before it broke but things have definitely slipped since it’s been out of action.

Have a great day x
  • seahorsey
    Good morning.
    Another gloomy start to the day today. Had a lovely duvet day with DS yesterday, playing games and watching Disney DVDs. We both loved it and it offered a very welcome recharging of the batteries. Popped out to Iceland late afternoon, as by this point we were in need of a bit of fresh air and a change of scenery. Spent £24 on freezer staples which would have probably cost £10-£15 more elsewhere.

I’ve just opened a Monzo account to run alongside our joint account. I’m hoping that it’ll break down all our non DD spends and help us manage these spends better. We will see - I have read good things about it.

Plan for today.....
    1. Pick up DS medication
    2. Post eBay
    3. Kitchen???
    4. Wrap birthday pressie for a party DS is going to at the weekend (pressie from stash :D )
    5. Check accounts- round down into OD
  • seahorsey
    Morning - weekend at last!!!!
    Work was pretty full on yesterday. There are lots of organisational changes going on at the mo and not necessarily for the best. Time to keep my head down and just get on with things. I try very hard to leave work at work but sometimes it infiltrates my thoughts / moods at home. Yesterday while walking the dogs my mind starting churning it all over and I could practically see the big black cloud over my head! Wasn’t a nice feeling.

So last night was all about a little bit of self care and me time. I’ve found a yoga for runners session on YouTube, so once DS was in bed and OH occupied elsewhere, I popped in on and worked through it. No word of a lie I felt amazing afterwards! My legs especially felt so light and getting up this morning there were none of the usual aches and pains and feeling like I was going to snap in two. Wow wow wow!!!! Can’t wait to do it again.

I’d also been given a £25 amazon voucher from works (it does very occasionally have its perks....). There was a book I’d had my eye on for a while but couldn’t justify the spend, so I ordered it last night and will hang on to the rest of the voucher for Christmas or birthday pressies. The book is an account of how running helped the authors battles with her mental health, so two hot topics in my life right now. Can’t wait to get started on it.

My weight is creeping up again. I’ve been going slimming world but my hearts not in it at all anymore. I’ve previously lost 2.5 stone on it but piled it all (and more) back on. I’ve looked back through my book and in the 13 weigh ins I’ve attended this year at a cost of £4.95 each I’ve managed to gain 5lbs! I feel sick thinking about it and the money (almost £65) I’ve wasted. I’m going to give myself a break from SW and try using My Fitness Pal and calorie counting / macro tracking instead. Will give myself 12 weeks and pay the £5 a week off the debts instead and see how I get on. Hopefully I’ll be lbs lighter and £s better off by the end of it.

I’ve have pay for DS block of swimming lessons this morning that I’d completely forgotten about - £50 unplanned spend so need to do some juggling......

Food shop later, hoping for a cheapish one - fingers crossed.

Have a great weekend - enjoy x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport