Prosperous soul in the making

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi saving and congrats on your new diary.

Your crafty business sounds like a great idea. I!!!8217;d love to make money from my hobby but I only scrapbook.I used to be a secret craft hoarder and went cold turkey about 12months ago. I!!!8217;ve vowed not to buy anymore until I at least use 5% of what I have.

Good luck with venture, will keep popping by x
    Thanks for posting. What does the 8217 mean? I have seen it on a few people's messages..

I know what you mean about going cold turkey on buying craft stuff. I am trying to use up what I have and use pretty much all of my personal spends on crafts each month. OH and I allow ourselves £50 each free no judgement spend a month. When I had the LBM that I could use recycled glass jars and bottles that definitely helped.

I am hoping I manage to sell what I make but if I don't then everyone I know will get them as gifts LOL. The ones I have given as gifts are all well received.

Could someone please remind me how I can paste photos onto my thread? I have a photobucket account from last time but the url doesn't seem to be showing as a picture...
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • What does the 8217 mean? I have seen it on a few people's messages..

Hello :wave:

Apologies for dropping in but there's a thread about 8217 here.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5786699

Seems there's MSE gremlins about :cool:
    Please put out food and water for the birds and hedgehogs :)
  • Photobucket seems to be a bit of a dead loss these days - I think the only accounts that allow you to post stuff elsewhere now are chargeable. Maybe take a look at Flickr?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • You have a few good things going for you although you have a substantial amount of debt. Having the cards on 0% and being able to clear around £1k per month is good. I urge you to keep a spending diary and post an soa even if you think you have cut down as far as possible.

It sounds like you overstretched yourselves with the cars and as often happens the debt is higher than the cars value. Is there a balloon payment to make with them or will they be yours once the loans paid off?

Ideally you need to be saving for cars, Xmas, emergencies etc so you are not tempted to add to the debt. Your whole attitude to debt needs to change if you are ever to break the cycle. Stop spending on the cards.

If you are going to try and make an income out of your crafting you need to make sure you are running it as a business. If a lot of your expenditure is on craft materials and you are not selling your products this will make your situation worse. You should be registered as self employed and doing a self assessment tax return yearly and making sure you are pricing correctly for the materials and labour.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • savingholmes
    Thanks Essex Hebrid - will look at Flickr or Instagram:)

Thanks Enthusiastic. :) With the cars we bought new/a few months old. With hindsight - my car is probably worth it as I got about £5K off the list price but OH got a couple of grand off but not enough. OH also insisted on doing a PCP type thing with a balloon payment at about 5.3% - £360 pcm. I ended up going via our bank for my car and got a loan that pays it off in full within 5 years at 3.2% £273pcm. The problem is that they are both diesel and because of the emissions scandal and the government's changed attitude to future diesel pricing etc even though they are (or mine is) Euro6 engines they aren't worth what they were. There is always more depreciation when you buy new/newish. I could perhaps look into whether I could add his car loan to the one I have with our joint account bank - or get him to apply in his name - as we would quite like to keep it at the end. Because of the interest reduction - we might still end up paying less doing that (ie total interest) - and he'd get to keep his car at the end. One of the reasons I upgraded my car was I started doing more mileage with work which helps offset the cost.

I agree we need to change our attitude to debt and stop spending on the cards. Last year I managed 5 months where I created an emergency fund, saved for holidays, gifts etc and then everything imploded and I haven't got back to a positive sustained savings position. This was partly because my son went to Uni and we had to help kit him out at a time when we already didn't balance our budget. He also doesn't get a full loan so we have had to help him make up the difference. To be fair to him, he had pre-saved to cover much of his first term and earned money at Christmas but it didn't cover everything and we are now having to make regular payments to help him out.

Any new CC debt we have paid off within the month's grace period recently but it would be better if we didn't have any. Last month I forgot to claim for expenses which put me back about £90. I have now submitted my two months claim which is for £179 (it would normally be more but had time off) which should almost clear the £212 I owe on a CC due to be repaid by 19/2. I will have enough to clear the rest of that this month. I haven't added to it for a couple of weeks which is an improvement.:cool:

Other areas to tackle:
    We allow each other £50 non-judgement spends but still going over
    We spend about £400 a month on groceries (or TBH more if we aren't careful) - need to get this down

While paying down debt is a priority - I also need to get to a position where if my son can't get a local job at uni - we can support him to the tune of up to £400 pcm. This month we gave him about £236 but its not enough. He wants to study abroad from end July - and that country would want to see us paying £400 pcm into his account for at least 3 months as proof he can afford to live out there.

I have done a budget that allows for everything - uni, clothes, holidays, a little maintenance etc and in theory it balances - it just isn't because in practice I - and it is mostly I - am still overspending. If I stuck to my budget rigidly we would be fine.
    3) CC £3.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
  • savingholmes
    If you are going to try and make an income out of your crafting you need to make sure you are running it as a business. If a lot of your expenditure is on craft materials and you are not selling your products this will make your situation worse. You should be registered as self employed and doing a self assessment tax return yearly and making sure you are pricing correctly for the materials and labour.
    I haven't registered anywhere or sorted insurance as I've not sold anything yet. Currently making stock - partly out of things I already have - the rest out of my pocket money :rotfl:. I am one of those people who could sign up to the "use up your craft stash thread" - which is partly why I thought it could be a good business idea. I already have a lot of what I need. But I agree if I don't get around to selling my products then all I am doing is having a hobby - as I said earlier though - they do make nice presents that are still cheaper to make than buying something in.

I have a couple of friends who sell regularly at craft stalls. I plan to connect with them and see if they would let me share their ideas and craft table initially. Will update on how that goes.
  • savingholmes
    Just cancelled Audible saving £7.99 a month. Interestingly they offered me a free credit if I stayed but resisted. Lots of free podcasts I can listen to instead for now.

Agreed with OH he will delay buying train tickets and hotel for a trip he's making until we get paid. If I shrink my grocery budget to less than £100 over the next two weeks I may be able to avoid going into overdraft this month. Even if I do end up in overdraft it looks like it would only be for a day or so / may be within my free overdraft as this month I get paid 2 days earlier than normal.

Having worked through my budget again - I am hopeful that because of the 10 month council tax payments - and the free months you get Feb & March - that I can give my son extra this month. Also because our CC usage has been so much less we should, if I tighten our grocery and other spending, be able to start building an emergency / savings funds for annual bills from mid Feb.

I am going to ask OH to get an early settlement figure from the car loan people tomorrow and see if we can move the loan to one that's cheaper.
  • savingholmes
    Well thank you God and thank you MSE - B@rclays have just paid out £1202 direct into my bank account to settle my packaged bank account claim. Will await the letter to find out how they worked out the amount as I felt it could have been twice that - but for something I claimed for on a whim after reading an article here - I am thrilled. Took less than 40 minutes - 20 minutes or less to apply and 20 minutes phone call! I went via the Res0lver form on here.
  • savingholmes
    :T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:TJust been able to send my son an extra £135 this month which gets him out of overdraft and pays this weeks groceries. So thrilled.:beer:
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,065 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Good luck, great news about the claim :T :T
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts