PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone,

Busy lizzies are one of the plants still doing well in my garden Farway, I reckon they'll be ok for another month or so :)

Haven't a clue MTSTM - would looking at a "size chart" on one of the retailers sites be a starting point?
    It's sunny here at the moment but rain is due later, apart from tomato and bramble picking I'm fairly up to date with the garden so not planning to do anything to it.
    I'm not CFO this evening as my nephew is coming round for dinner, I'm making chicken wings, corn cobettes, sweet potato wedges and I might make some jazzed up baked beans. He's well over 6ft, built like a pipe cleaner and has hollow legs so I want to make sure I fill him up!;)
    I've some pasta & veg LO from last night so that with a poached egg on top will be lunch.:)
  • Morning all (just!),

I've returned home from the garage, nearly £200 cheaper (but hopefully, touch wood, the car won't cost me too much for the rest of the year). I was slightly annoyed inside with the garage people... I was booked in for 8:30, went off for a Sainsburys breakfast. Returned to the garage just before 10, and they hadn't even started on it! They claimed "we had an early rush". Well, when I've turned up with sometime to fix without an appointment, and twice now they've not been able to do anything and I've had to go over to the competition!
    Sat for an hour and a half in their waiting room, alternating between playing on my phone and staring at the wall! I did manage to buy a ticket to see Tim Minchin perform in Birmingham NEXT November, and mentally plotted my to-do list for the next few days. So not a total waste of time I guess.

I shall skip lunch - might just have a coffee and biscuit. For dinner I need to do something with the other half of the jar of pasta sauce I opened yesterday... I'll probably just end up repeating yesterdays dinner!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Things are looking up. Shivers & sneezing have stopped, sun is out & very warm outside now

Black Forest ham, with salad bits inside a PB baguette for lunch

The OOD yeast seems to have worked after made into a starter, pizza made in the Panny & now proving
    It will be topped with ham / mushrooms, toms plus cheese of course, only Cheddar, the Mozzarella I thought I had in freezer has vanished

Never thought I'd be able to say this, confirmed today, I've got a glut of figs:j The warmth has rushed them on.
    I've got at least 6 ripe 'N' ready, looked on U tube, looks like my initial thoughts on cooking were correct, brush with olive oil, slit, butter in slits, honey drizzle over, oven gas 3 about 20 minutes. No calories 'cos it's fruit:)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    Some you win, some you lose

The pizza was a fail, the yeast didn't rise much despite earlier promise. Yeast & pizza destined for the bin. I'll have to buy the sealed sachets in future despite it being more expensive, cheaper in the long run than binning loaves / pizza etc

Honey baked figs a success, I had 7 ripe figs to use, with more still ripening
    If there wasn't a glut I think I prefer them raw & fresh without the prepping & cooking but as I mentioned earlier, these figs don't keep very well so need "something" doing to them. Not enough for jam, and I've enough HM chutney to last long enough for it to be served at my wake;)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    edited 5 September 2018 at 9:47PM
    Good evening everyone,

My nephew has been fed, had a couple of beers, a good chat and headed home. He's coming back next week for "mince & tatties":D. Ended up doing roasted cherry toms instead of bbq beans which though I say it myself were blooming lovely:D

Farway - I store my dried yeast tin in the freezer. It lasts for ages (so far 1 year +) without losing it's oomph.

Toms & brambles remain unpicked as it's been raining, a job for tomorrow.

PS - as PN & I will testify naan bread makes a great pizza base:cool:. I seldom make pizza dough these days, I either use a naan or make a dough with SR flour and yoghurt.
  • Good morning all!

Weather-wise, it currently looks quite pleasant out there! The sun is shining and not much wind. Perhaps I'll plug myself into an audiobook later and go for a walk. Not had a chance to get out for one this week so far.
    Breakfast of yoghurts and banana. That was the last of the bananas, but I don't want to do a "normal" food shop until Monday (Saturday treat day doesn't count!). I do have a couple of tins of peaches in the cupboard, so that'll tide me over for fruit until Monday.

For lunch I have two wraps left, so I'll do them with the last of the cheese, cucumber and bell pepper.

Not sure yet for dinner... I was thinking curry, but then I remembered I'm doing that tomorrow, and don't want it two days in a row. Might just do a "kiddy tea" - chicken nuggets, mash and beans. Sometimes simple, belly-filling meals are the best ones.

Anyway, just looking at today's to-do list (I try and write one the night before) and I seem to have assigned myself some big, open-ended jobs in a fit of enthusiasm!
    I think I'll tackle the simplest one (opening a new online bank account) first, have a coffee, and take the others from there!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
  • caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    This morning just disappeared! I had an errand to run, various chores needing doing and spent far too long working out and setting up a new-to-me phone my friend gave me. Got there with them all just about I think:)
    A real mix of heavy showers and lovely sunshine so far here so I'm hoping it stays long enough to get brambles and tomatoes picked.
    Toast, smelly camembert & salad for lunch, for tonight there is some LO veg from yesterday and I think I'll defrost a HM tuna fishcake to have with those and some chard/calvo nero from the garden.
  • Farway
    Thanks for those Pizza tips Caron, using Naan bread sounds good idea as I often see them YS in Asda I could grab a couple & pop in freezer "just in case"

Today started warm & sunny now clouding over, but usual breakfast porridge, bananas, honey & yoghurt
    Made fresh batch of yoghurt before I trotted out for shop mooching and really needed stuff, like milk & bread

Found YS back bacon in Iceland, along with offer sliced loaf. All one needs for a bacon sarnie in one shop.

W/rose yielded some YS Maris Pipers, dinner decided at that moment

Lunch was some of the YS bacon, grilled & popped inside PB baguette with salad bits

Dinner will be easy, grilled YS bacon, chunky YS Marris Piper chips, eggs & I've got LO mushrooms.
    I've got LO honey baked figs for later if hungry

Must remember doughnut trial buy in L's tomorrow, there were none when I went in Tuesday. I've also got my eye on offer rump steak pack & Lidlbix XXL, though whenever they've been offer before they've gone by time I turn up, another first world problem right there
  • caronc
    Good evening everyone,

New phone has been suitably faffed about with for far too much time today so didn't get much else done:o. I did pick a massive bowl of tomatoes and a cucumber but I will definitely need to tackle the brambles tomorrow in between doing an ironing and putting away a grocery order before they get mushy.
    Fishcakes have been defrosted so and easy dinner. I didn't pick any greens as it pouring and I cba getting wet, I'll check how much LO veg there is and if it doesn't seem enough will nuke some frozen kale or spinach:).
  • Good morning all!
    It's started off sunny again here this morning. But if it follows yesterdays pattern, it'll get cloudier and cloudier, and then rain from late-afternoon onwards.

Yoghurt for breakfast and about to have some coffee.
    I'm out of bread for lunch, so may have soup or cereal. I'll see whether I fancy hot or cold nearer the time!
    For dinner I've got a friend coming round, who has requested curry. She wants a tikka masala, so two large chicken breasts came out of the freezer into the fridge before bed last night, and I have sauce and naans. I also pulled a microwave pack of Uncle Bens out of the cupboard, which I've been waiting for an excuse to use. I honestly don't know why I bought it, because it's far too big for one person, and I was always told never to re-heat rice, but I don't know how true that is any more!

Now I've just consulted todays to-do list... Much more sensible than yesterdays! I'll do the easiest first, then make coffee.
    Have a good morning all!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business