The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Today is going to be a dull indoor day, although I am quite tired after yesterday's activity!

I need to sort out our financial records and gather them into a file so the accountants can work out our income for 2017 -2018 and calculate our tax returns. We got the pension during this period, but we've already paid (hefty) tax on that, but it may complicate matters.

This is my most hated job of the year but I can't procrastinate any longer as we're running out of time and DH doesn't have time to do it :mad:. There's always a statement or something missing as DH and are a bit useless at record keeping :mad:.

Our accountants mentioned a possible tax return because we paid so much tax on the pension money, so I hope we do get one as we could really use the money.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • fingers crossed for the tax return for you. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Just a suggestion re the DS board contribution, we used to have to remind SS and then he would say 'oh but I thought I had paid it' which I hated so we ended up with a note on the fridge that had dates (rather than amounts) on so that we knew and he knew, and it acted as a reminder. He also used to do things like 'buy us all a chinese' and use his board to do it which was really frustrating as that was at the height of famine, and the only cash I had access too was his very nominal board contribution!

Grief is an odd thing isn't it, hits each of us differently.
  • Thanks Redo that's a good suggestion :). We tend to communicate with DS2 by messenger mostly (as he's a bit nocturnal) which gives us some record.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 18,825
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Glad DS paid his keep. Fingers crossed for the tax return x
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Thanks Jwil :). We wouldn't get it until January but it would be useful then. Fingers crossed.
  • NPow3r just sent me a Customer Satisfaction Survey :mad:. Incredible :mad:. So I just told them in no uncertain terms how very unsatisfied I am with their shoddy service. Not that it will make any difference but it felt good to get it off my chest :).
  • NPow3r just sent me a Customer Satisfaction Survey :mad:. Incredible :mad:. So I just told them in no uncertain terms how very unsatisfied I am with their shoddy service. Not that it will make any difference but it felt good to get it off my chest :).

Sending a Customer Satisfaction Survey? What a cheek:eek:. That and your brilliant reply made me laugh out loud:rotfl:. I wonder if the people who send them ever read what we put in our replies.

I'm still revelling in my warm home:j, the heating is on now for a bit as it's teeming with rain and there's a howling gale. I received an email early this morning reminding me a meter reading is due:eek: I agreed to doing one every 3 months to fulfil my online tariff requirements but I usually send one more often than that. Have submitted it and they told me my DD from next month has gone DOWN by £9 a month:eek:. Can't understand that as the new monthly cost is the same as it was last year before they decided to increase it when I updated my 'fix' after the electricity unit cost had supposedly gone up. Maybe they overestimated my potential usage then but as it doesn't vary much from one year to the next seeing as how I've already cut out any absolutely inessential usage I'm baffled. Happy though:j
  • Had a phone call from OH early this morning. I thought it would be to let me know which trains he'll be on and when he needs picking up at the station tonight.

My friend has managed to get an appointment for her brother with his favourite GP tomorrow. She might have been able to get a home visit but it would be with a locum and she didn't want to get her brother being seen by someone who doesn't know him when his usual Doc has known him for many years. The surgery is a long way from his home and she was worried that getting him there might be a problem if he resists or downright refuses to go. It would involve a long walk to any bus route or a taxi all the way so she asked OH if he would mind staying another night so he can drive them there and generally give a hand tomorrow. He was phoning to ask if it was OK with me:rotfl:

Certainly is:j. I hope I managed to contain my glee;)
  • Had a phone call from OH early this morning. I thought it would be to let me know which trains he'll be on and when he needs picking up at the station tonight.

My friend has managed to get an appointment for her brother with his favourite GP tomorrow. She might have been able to get a home visit but it would be with a locum and she didn't want to get her brother being seen by someone who doesn't know him when his usual Doc has known him for many years. The surgery is a long way from his home and she was worried that getting him there might be a problem if he resists or downright refuses to go. It would involve a long walk to any bus route or a taxi all the way so she asked OH if he would mind staying another night so he can drive them there and generally give a hand tomorrow. He was phoning to ask if it was OK with me:rotfl:

Certainly is:j. I hope I managed to contain my glee;)

I was going to say I hope you're enjoying your time on your own - and now an extension !

HHOD - Customer satisfaction ??? You wish. I'm sure your reply was most trenchant and I really hope they read the replies.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback