Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 6:50 AM
    • 14,095Posts
    • 72,367Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 6:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 6:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 2
  • pixie76
    I know its fairly old but I have the DVD of Sophies Choice which someone recommended to me. Will try & watch it tonight, Is it any good?
    ٩(̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃̃)۶
    • Sheel
    • By Sheel 10th Jan 12, 10:22 AM
    • 44,846 Posts
    • 40,220 Thanks
    Sheel
    ive recently watched cowboys & Aliens that was quite good for a new film.
    Originally posted by hm71
    It hasn't had great reviews , but i'll make my own mind up when I see it soon as it's on it's way to us from Lovefilm.

I agree that Hotel Rwanda is a great film. Two other good films about Rwanda are Shooting Dogs and Sometimes in April.

The Swedish Millennium Trilogy films are really good. Haven't seen the US version yet , but looking forward to doing so.

I'm struggling to think of a good film i've seen recently. Most of the films we watch are instantly forgettable. I liked Source Code though and have just enjoyed watching the 3 Chronicle of Narnia films.

Oh yeah i've got a liking for Korean films at the moment. Enjoyed I Saw the Devil and The Man from Nowhere.
    JAMMF
  • meher
    I took out a dvd last weekend from the library - mamma mia. It is fabulous.

don't know how I missed out this musical; or may be because I've avoided meryl streep movies
    Last edited by meher; 10-01-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    • ladymarmalade
    • By ladymarmalade 10th Jan 12, 7:01 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    ladymarmalade
    The two I watched this weekend were Real Steel and Source Code and Imust say I really enjoyed them both!
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 10th Jan 12, 9:01 PM
    • 6,833 Posts
    • 15,969 Thanks
    barmonkey
    The two I watched this weekend were Real Steel and Source Code and Imust say I really enjoyed them both!
    Originally posted by ladymarmalade
    I watched Real Steel (Rocky with robots) last week with the kids and really enjoyed it.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 10th Jan 12, 9:16 PM
    • 6,833 Posts
    • 15,969 Thanks
    barmonkey
    I have just rewatched Tomorrow, When the War Began,

Seven Australian teenage friends from a small town go on a camping trip to be with nature. During their trip, they see military aircraft fly overhead. What they didn't know was their country was being invaded by another country. Returning home, they discover that they are at war. With no training, they band together to fight the enemy.

Its the first in a series of films based on some Austrailian school books, Its not bad, worth a look anyway.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • hm71
    • By hm71 11th Jan 12, 5:56 AM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 2,685 Thanks
    hm71
    It hasn't had great reviews , but i'll make my own mind up when I see it soon as it's on it's way to us from Lovefilm.

I agree that Hotel Rwanda is a great film. Two other good films about Rwanda are Shooting Dogs and Sometimes in April.

The Swedish Millennium Trilogy films are really good. Haven't seen the US version yet , but looking forward to doing so.

I'm struggling to think of a good film i've seen recently. Most of the films we watch are instantly forgettable. I liked Source Code though and have just enjoyed watching the 3 Chronicle of Narnia films.

Oh yeah i've got a liking for Korean films at the moment. Enjoyed I Saw the Devil and The Man from Nowhere.
    Originally posted by Sheel

No totally agree reviews were awful thats why i waited for the dvd- it was a good way to while sway a bit of time-
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge 128/270 balance 142
    2 saving club 140
    • cydney65
    • By cydney65 11th Jan 12, 10:20 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 5,242 Thanks
    cydney65
    They are both on Amazon. Click Here
    Originally posted by Rikki
    Thanks Rikki much appreciated
    TOTAL DEBT @ LBM : 17082.66 DEBT FREE 7/01/13 Save 12K in 2019 No. 63; Jan 816.08 Total 816.08/5000 Penny a Day 108.50 We all grow old, use your life, the world goes and flutters by
    • ladymarmalade
    • By ladymarmalade 11th Jan 12, 8:16 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    ladymarmalade
    I watched Real Steel (Rocky with robots) last week with the kids and really enjoyed it.
    Originally posted by barmonkey
    I wasn't expecting to enjoy it...and moaned about having to watch it, but my OH insisted and said I would like it.....an he was right
    • nlj1520
    • By nlj1520 12th Jan 12, 6:39 AM
    • 604 Posts
    • 2,955 Thanks
    nlj1520
    Recently watched 'Hunger' about Bobby Sands....quite harrowing but good. Not for the squeamish.
    Also The Butterfly Effect....interesting and enjoyable.
    Have the DVD of Conviction to watch as soon as I get time, can't wait to watch Senna (friend has the DVD)
    Although the Stieg Larsson films are good, the books are SO much better.......
  • Middy
    Watched The Town last night. Really good. I was given a 2 month trial with Lovefilm by a colleague. I will be continuing with the subscription once the trial ends. Saves me paying money on DVDs that I only watch once, still in their shrink wrap (may have to watch a couple of these during my 1.5 weeks off work) and the space to keep them all.
    • psyman17
    • By psyman17 12th Jan 12, 3:44 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    psyman17
    Thor was a good superhero movie. Looking forward to The Avengers in may now :-)
    • Love A Bargain
    • By Love A Bargain 12th Jan 12, 7:52 PM
    • 2,943 Posts
    • 6,610 Thanks
    Love A Bargain
    Always heard and read good reviews on Twilight, finally I got the chance to look at the first three films and I must say they were all very enjoyable. Now am looking forward to parts one and two of the last on (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn).
    You are 48% tight
    "You're frugal, you're thrifty, but on this site that's a little bit fab."
    • globalds
    • By globalds 12th Jan 12, 7:55 PM
    • 8,905 Posts
    • 16,706 Thanks
    globalds
    war horse will make you cry

But it is a bit too soppy ...I realised whilst watching it that I am not a big fan of Spielberg.
    • ericthekidstoner
    • By ericthekidstoner 12th Jan 12, 8:33 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    ericthekidstoner
    Watched The Town last night. Really good. I was given a 2 month trial with Lovefilm by a colleague. I will be continuing with the subscription once the trial ends. Saves me paying money on DVDs that I only watch once, still in their shrink wrap (may have to watch a couple of these during my 1.5 weeks off work) and the space to keep them all.
    Originally posted by Middy
    The Town is very, and surprisingly, good.

For me, Warrior is the best film in 2011.

Others... Crazy Stupid Love, Real Steel, Four Lions (genius but may be an acquired taste)
    #BeAwesomeToSomebody
    • whu
    • By whu 12th Jan 12, 8:41 PM
    • 22,725 Posts
    • 60,620 Thanks
    whu
    Transsiberian was a good film
    Keep the Faith
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 28th Jan 12, 6:17 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    I read all three Stieg Larsson books and then watched all three Swedish version films. They are very good.

I am waiting to watch the Hollywood version. It has a lot to live up too.
    Originally posted by Rikki
    Went to see it this week. It was okay but typically spoilt the way only Hollywood can. It was missing a lot of the story, there was time as it was a long film but they chose to embellish rather then stick to the book.

I watched the Swedish version again and in my opinion is a better film.
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 29th Jan 12, 3:34 PM
    • 26,520 Posts
    • 69,943 Thanks
    pollypenny
    THe last film I saw was 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' - superb!

All the actors are fantastic and it certainly knocks Spooks into a cocked hat!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • cleggie
    The last film i saw was Source Code. I got it from morrisons for about 5.
    i would really recommend it, i thought it was great!!
    Last edited by cleggie; 29-01-2012 at 3:38 PM. Reason: spelling.
    • January20
    • By January20 29th Jan 12, 3:52 PM
    • 3,604 Posts
    • 10,901 Thanks
    January20
    Horrible Bosses (on dvd fortunately): stupid and not funny at all

The well-digger's daughter: great feel good story

Sherlock Holmes-game of shadows: silly but so much fun and so entertaining.

Mission Impossible-ghost protocol: as above silly, funny and entertaining.

The Iron Lady: not the film I expected. Sad and typical lazy Hollywood production (big holes in the story) - but Meryl Streep is absolutely fab!
    LBM: August 2006 12,568.49 - DFD 22nd March 2012
    "The road to DF is long and bumpy" GreenSaints
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

19Posts Today

3,696Users online

Martin's Twitter