Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Charities Board Welcome and The Rules

Comments

• domgrima
    domgrima Posts: 8 Forumite
    I'm something of a newbie, but have seen references to the MSE charity fund. Having got a referral for an A&L account, from someone on this forum who kindly offered to pay back most of their end of the deal, I would like to pay some of it towards the MSE charity fund. How can I do so?
  • novelli
    novelli Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Quote And while being a registered charity does not completely rule out the possibility of abuse, the necessity for having

a) a constitution or governing document which sets out the charity's aims, and

b) a group of trustees who must always act in accordance with those aims and the best interests of the charity

does make it harder to go 'off the rails'. As long as the trustees do their job, that is!
    unquote

Tho we are not a registered charity we have been in existance for 10 years and have our own website, as well as all of the above. Yet my post requesting people to ocntact us if they were intersted in doing a parachute jump was removed??
    Its always the big charities who get the most support, when us smaller organisations who have no paid staff (unlike most charities), i think you should reconsider listing voluntary organisations that do have constitutions and comiittees etc, as they are always the ones that need the most help and have the unpaid workers!! Under the freedom of information act you can request information from us about any of our work including accounts etc, so you can also easily check out voluntary orgs, but once again we are discriminated against!!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi there, as per my pm I have referred this across to the team and will defer to their decision. However Martin was quite clear that this is the charity board and specifically said:

1. Any links must benefit a UK registered charity. The details of the charity number and link to the website must be given.

I understand the politics of this having an association with a voluntary group that cannot obtain charitiable status, but the rules seem clear to me.

Also, the original post asked for direct contact by pm, which is actually against site rules.

We can only wait for a moderator decision on this as I can't over rule Martin's regulations as I am only a BG.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • novelli
    Ok, i await their response, but do hope that this registered charity situation can be looked at. If a voluntary org are able to provide a constitution, committee details and any other identifying details, including website etc, they ought to be allowed to post requests, as I say its always us that have to really work so hard for no wages to get funding, whereas the bigger guys get the recognition and funding!!
    You do not have to be a registered charity to apply for all the lottery funding and most other funds, as long as you are not for profit, have a constitution and a committee, you are treated no differently to a registered charity, which is how it should be. We have nothing to benefit from becoming registered, but there are cost implications, not to mention time implications, our time is better spent helping the thousands of families we work with, rather than reams of paperwork.

i am happy not to request PMs, but to put website details in the posting.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    novelli, I understand why Martin said what he said as if voluntary groups are allowed then someone has to decide which should be posted and which can't, which makes far too much work for this board.

Your group may be fine, but what if someone else wants to post a quasi Political group if we allow one we allow them all , what about extremist groups, who will monitor what is allowed and what is not? At least setting a rule where they must be a charity makes it easier for me as a BG to say yes or no, I don't have to make any decisions based on my own personal feelings which would of course be exceeding my remit anyway as I am supposed to merely keep the board tidy and on thread.

Can I make another suggestion? Repost over in the MSE arms and open up it up for a full discussion.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hi

soolin's said it for us really. Like you novelli it's simply a matter of funds. The site doesn't have the resources to pay for a team that could monitor the increased number of threads and we'd never ask the BGs to take on such a task so Martin had to draw a line.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Novelli. Your point is well made. However this board was an attempt to help the many people who want to help out charities. While voluntary organisations do a lot of good - there is no easy and effective way to police it and it could result in people spamming.

With a charity, the charities commission does the basic policing. Im really sorry not to be able to help, but please remember this boards only just been born.... in the past even charities couldn't post

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • novelli
    I do understand what you r saying, but once again its those who need it the most that lose out!!

If anyone thinks for one second that ALL registered charities play by the rules and are never ever dodgy, then u are very sadley mistaken.
  • novelli wrote:
    I do understand what you r saying, but once again its those who need it the most that lose out!!

If anyone thinks for one second that ALL registered charities play by the rules and are never ever dodgy, then u are very sadley mistaken.

I would also point out that this is a money saving forum. This board is a concession Martin makes to help charity where we can. This site already gives a substantial amount of money to our chosen charities and we are trying to help charity where we can. Certainly your point is well made, but there is a limit on what we can do and how we can do it. We could simply remove this board altogether, but that isn't what we want to do.

The system is by no means perfect, but we do what we can to help to the best of our ability and resources. We are certainly not saying that this board cannot evolve, but at present this is the best gesture we can make

Follow @MSE_Forum on twitter
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    novelli wrote:
    I would recommend your committee doing a 'cost/benefit' analysis of registering as a charity. Yes, there are cost implications, BUT you are wrong when you say there is no benefit. The main one is that any UK taxpayers who give money to your organisation could Gift Aid their donations. That could well cover those costs - especially when the Gift Aid toolkit makes it so easy to get that message across, even on things like sponsor forms! I quote:

"Use Gift Aid and you can make your donation worth more. For every pound you give to us, we get an extra 28 pence from HMRC. So just tick here. It’s that simple."
    novelli wrote:
    No-one's ever said that. The difference is that there is one single body who concerns themselves with the regulation of charities - the Charity Commission - and no such body for NFPs of other kinds. I have no doubt that your NFP is well governed and that everything is totally above board. But if in the future someone had concerns about the actions of your committee, who could they take those concerns to?

Please don't imagine either that all charities do have paid staff and that all NFPs operate without any paid staff. In some cases it is more cost-effective to pay someone to do a particular job than to rely on volunteers, and there is nothing wrong with that. 'Horses for courses', as they say. The small charity I work for couldn't function without volunteers who give a great deal of time (and money, helpfully supplemented by Gift Aid!) but it wouldn't function well with a small paid staff.

I hope no-one thinks I'm trying to argue with you about this: I know where you're coming from because I've helped run an NFP which struggled to raise funds and was excluded from some grant awards because we weren't a charity. We had our reasons for staying NFP. And your cost/benefit analysis may conclude that now is not the time to go down that path. But perhaps the decision should be reviewed regularly, because it's not an open-and-shut forever-and-a-day kind of decision.

There are some stickies on the Small Biz & Charity Organisers board which may help your thinking!

Good luck!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family