PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Simplifying household stock and introducing routines

18910111214»

Comments

• Luciecat63
    Luciecat63 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This is a great thread.
    I can't cope with too much choice - the range of stuff in the supermarket is ridiculous. I have been buying and trying new things, but often ended up throwing them away, so I have now decided that on the whole I will go for tried and tested (by me). I'm on my own so I can eat the same thing two or three days running if I want to, and if it's something that can be batch cooked, I can do that (when I'm in the mood). When the weather is hot, I enjoy simple meals like sandwiches and cooked meat or fish with salad, but I'm happier to cook when the weather is cooler. I have also decided not to buy salad dressings or stir fry sauces (except mayonnaise) - they always look as if they'll be tasty but coat the foot in a gloop. I prefer a simple home made vinaigrette and a dash of fresh ginger/garlic/soy/lemon and lime juice. I have written down a master shopping list which I will try to stick to, but will allow for treats. I generally use soda/white vinegar/lemon juice for cleaning, but I am still using up some commercial products from my sister's house when we cleared that (she had about ten of everything), and all my soft cloths are cut up tee shirts (including some that belonged to my dad who died over 5 years ago.
    January 2021 Frugal Living limit £339.50, target £300
    Fashion on the Ration
    Declutter 2021 items in 2021.
  • Luciecat63
    Luciecat63 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    GreyQueen said on this thread that jams are mostly sugar with a bit of flavour - I bought five different flavour jars of "good" branded jams to make tarts for an event, but they all taste pretty much the same - of not very much. I'm going to use them up this week in jammy sammys, then buy no more. I'll stick with strawberry if I ever buy jam again. I can probably live without it.
    January 2021 Frugal Living limit £339.50, target £300
    Fashion on the Ration
    Declutter 2021 items in 2021.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Our local Aldi does have vegetable stock cubes - they're the Quixo name, and come in a green box. I admit they don't always have them, so when I see them on the shelf I tend to grab a box, but they are there sometimes. They're really nice, too.

I usually go to Aldi as my first choice, but there are some things I've never seen in there - whole coffee beans to grind at home, loose leaf tea, custard powder, drinking chocolate to be made up with milk as opposed to water, vegetarian suet.

Daughter had her plastic free thing going on, so I had a go at making my own drinking chocolate powder to add to milk. I found recipe online and after some experimentation got the balance of chocolate:sweet to my taste. COcoa powder and sugar, but It also has vanilla powder in it, which isn't predominant but does add a certain something. Lots of the commercial ones have this in.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Bit delayed, but I did enjoy reading this thread. We are looking to move hopefully in the next six months so I've started working through our excess of consumables so we don't have as much to move!

I will definitely try and keep it that way as well, I like the idea of one open and one spare, especially to try and keep the clutter down.
  • Planning_ahead
    Planning_ahead Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 31 August 2019 at 12:17PM
    A rainy weekend with no plans, time to sort out the kitchen.
    It has been four months since the kids moved out into their own places.
    There are bottles, jars and sauces which I will not buy again.
    Time to trim the number of items I stock, any unopened I will pass on to my children.
    I have only have one type of breakfast cereal weetabix/oatibix , stopped buying other cereals.
    Will be doing this for all other items, a lot of the stock in my cupboard I do not routinely use
    I have thrown out my microwave, faulty door, will try to manage without it.
    looks cleaner and less cluttered without it.
    My aim this weekend is to declutter the non personal items left behind when the children moved out.
    My cleaning routines are easier and products last much longer now that I do all the cleaning.
    Still working on taking my dinner every day.
    Time to tackle the fridge.
    :j:£12,000 / £28,000 Mortgage free date planned May 2023 Actual mortgage free date June 2030
    Retirement date planned May 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport