Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • colinw
    • By colinw 25th Jul 14, 3:22 PM
    • 55,649Posts
    • 153,292Thanks
    colinw
    Red Arrows
    • 25th Jul 14, 3:22 PM
    Red Arrows 25th Jul 14 at 3:22 PM
    Currently on route from Bournemouth to Newcastle...you can catch them at

16:38 over Lincoln
    16:48 over York
    17:00 Arriving Newcastle

Hope to see them over Newcastle while walking home.....and hopefully on Saturday and Sunday at the Sunderland Air Show. They are also displaying at 19:30 tonight at Sunderland but the weather does not look great on the coast.
Page 10
    • colinw
    • By colinw 20th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 55,649 Posts
    • 153,292 Thanks
    colinw
    An aircraft used by the Red Arrows display team has crashed at RAF Valley on Anglesey.

The Ministry of Defence confirmed it was a Hawk aircraft and said an air ambulance was sent to the scene at about 13:30 GMT on Tuesday.

It is understood two people were on board the aircraft and eyewitnesses said they saw one figure eject from the jet. Their condition is unknown.

RAF Valley is a base used to train UK fighter pilots and aircrew.

BBC News

Hoping that the two people on the Hawk are OK.

According to other news media the aircraft was flying from RAF Valley to RAF Scampton.
    Originally posted by worldtraveller
    Oh !!!!!! I do hope everyone who was on board that aircraft are OK, the silence on the condition of the crew is worrying as is the conflicting eye witness reports on how many ejected. They are a brave bunch of blokes who are a credit to this Country. Letís just hope they got out of the aircraft without injury.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 20th Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    • 55,649 Posts
    • 153,292 Thanks
    colinw
    Sad news they just confirmed an engineer died in the crash and the pilot is receiving treatment. The engineers often travel in the back seat of the jets when they are transiting between shows or bases, very sad news, let!!!8217;s hope Red 3 makes a full recovery.
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 20th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 12,803 Posts
    • 27,452 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Sad news indeed.

The pilot survived the crash and is believed to have ejected shortly before the Hawk aircraft hit the ground at the base in Anglesey.

An RAF spokesman said: "It is with great sadness that the MOD must confirm the death of an engineer from the RAF Aerobatics Team (the Red Arrows) in a tragic accident today.

"The servicemans family have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released. The pilot of the aircraft survived the incident and is currently receiving medical care."

Telegraph.co.uk
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 20-03-2018 at 5:37 PM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • cbrown372
    • By cbrown372 20th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 1,248 Posts
    • 3,895 Thanks
    cbrown372
    Very sad news.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama
    • colinw
    • By colinw 21st Mar 18, 7:13 AM
    • 55,649 Posts
    • 153,292 Thanks
    colinw
    Very sad news.
    Originally posted by cbrown372
    Hopefully Red 3 is not to badly injured
    • colinw
    • By colinw 29th Jul 18, 2:24 PM
    • 55,649 Posts
    • 153,292 Thanks
    colinw
    Sunderland Air Show Saturday 28th July 2018

• worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 29th Jul 18, 2:26 PM
    • 12,803 Posts
    • 27,452 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Wonderful pics as always Colin!
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • colinw
    • By colinw 29th Jul 18, 2:29 PM
    • 55,649 Posts
    • 153,292 Thanks
    colinw
    Wonderful pics as always Colin!
    Originally posted by worldtraveller
    Thanks Photoshop helps
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Feb 19, 6:35 AM
    • 40,783 Posts
    • 151,368 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Sheffield Flypast of USAF planes 08:45 BBC1
    I have hi-jacked the Red Arrows thread to draw attention to this......

SHEFFIELD FLYPAST at 8:45 this morning!

Tony Foulds, the 82-year old guy who has been tending the memorial to the ten American airmen who died when their plane crashed just past a playground, will get his wish for a commemorative flypast on the 75th anniversary of the crash.....today!

It's all on Breakfast at the moment, and the actual flypast will be a t 8.45. The weather is looking ok so far!

Tony Foulds was an eight-year-old boy playing in the park with friends, when a USAF plane, a B17 Flying Fortress - Mi' Amigo - looking for somewhere to land their damaged plane, deliberately missed the playing field where the children were and crashed in woodland bordering the park.

All ten crew died.
    A memorial was erected there, and Tony has been tending the memorial, in gratitude for the men saving the children's lives, ever since.

A chance meeting in the park with Dan Walker, the Breakfast presenter, who was walking his dog, led to a chain of events in which Tony's wish for a commemorative fly-past on the 75th anniversary of the crash has been plotted behind the scenes!

Family of the dead airmen have come over from the States.

Tune in now!
    Last edited by Pyxis; 22-02-2019 at 7:07 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Feb 19, 6:51 AM
    • 40,783 Posts
    • 151,368 Thanks
    Pyxis
    A very quick photo of the TV screen showing the planes that will be taking part........ sorry for the skewed aspect!

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 22nd Feb 19, 7:00 AM
    • 18,090 Posts
    • 38,748 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Thanks Pyxis, unfortunately too far away for me to see.
    Heard about Tony yesterday - He's been tending the graves all his life.
    Weekly Distance Walked 30km / Total For Year 1046 km
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Feb 19, 7:08 AM
    • 40,783 Posts
    • 151,368 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Are you anywhere near one of the flight routes?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 22nd Feb 19, 7:15 AM
    • 18,090 Posts
    • 38,748 Thanks
    Sleazy
    I'd need to drive NE for about an hour probably.
    Foggy where I am .....
    Weekly Distance Walked 30km / Total For Year 1046 km
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Feb 19, 7:23 AM
    • 40,783 Posts
    • 151,368 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I hope someone nominates Tony Foulds to get an OBE.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Feb 19, 7:57 AM
    • 40,783 Posts
    • 151,368 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I found the Missing Man formation very dramatic, and poignant.

Anyone who didn't see the flypast can get it on iPlayer, etc., although I'm sure it will be repeated on news bulletins.

It was a shame that Dan Walker, who was strategic in getting this off the ground, couldn't be there, but he is out climbing Kilimanjaro for Children in Need.

I think that's a good enough excuse!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• colinw
    • By colinw 22nd Feb 19, 8:04 AM
    • 55,649 Posts
    • 153,292 Thanks
    colinw
    I found the Missing Man formation very dramatic, and poignant.

Anyone who didn't see the flypast can get it on iPlayer, etc., although I'm sure it will be repeated on news bulletins.

It was a shame that Dan Walker, who was strategic in getting this off the ground, couldn't be there, but he is out climbing Kilimanjaro for Children in Need.

I think that's a good enough excuse!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Lame excuse! see what work say next Monday when I use that excuse and tell them I should be back in on Tuesday!
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 22nd Feb 19, 8:39 AM
    • 26,484 Posts
    • 69,874 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I've followed this story on Breakfast for a while.

Dan Walker had met Tony, just by chance, and was so impressed by his dedication to these unknown Americans that he contacted the American embassy. Ironically Dan Walker is way so missed this fly past.

Pyxis, definitely someone deserving of an honour and not a piddling one.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 22nd Feb 19, 5:57 PM
    • 6,385 Posts
    • 4,896 Thanks
    vansboy
    I listened by accident, just trying to find something worthwhile on radio, as I was going to Ikea Sheffield. Too late to see any fly past, though.

Amazing story and the few items, which were recovered, including a pair of goggles, belonging to a crew member, was more than enough to make you think. Just THINK!!!!

VB
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 14th Aug 19, 5:15 PM
    • 8,890 Posts
    • 14,604 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Have just found out that the Red Arrows will be doing a 10 minute display over Boston Harbour next Monday, as part of their North America tour.
    By coincidence, I shall be in Boston next week, so will do my best to catch the display - Iíve not managed to catch a display here for several years (except on TV )
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    YTD £973.85 (£650 offset)
    Jan £105.26, Feb £103.31,Mar £135.77, Apr £104.51, May £100, June £100,
    July £120.64, Aug £104.36, Sep £100.00

Everything will be alright in the end so, if itís not yet alright, it means itís not yet the end
    • colinw
    • By colinw 27th Aug 19, 11:49 AM
    • 55,649 Posts
    • 153,292 Thanks
    colinw
    Have just found out that the Red Arrows will be doing a 10 minute display over Boston Harbour next Monday, as part of their North America tour.
    By coincidence, I shall be in Boston next week, so will do my best to catch the display - Iíve not managed to catch a display here for several years (except on TV )
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    It is good when that sort of stuff works out, I hope you enjoy it or enjoyed it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,582Posts Today

6,016Users online

Martin's Twitter