IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Options

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done :beer:

The BPA are very lax about these signs. What are they doing about their scammers ???? sitting at a desk drinking tea no doubt whilst collecting membership fees ?
  • Toastrack
    Toastrack Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    PCN issued for "Abused Patron Parking" (left site).
    CP failed to give any evidence.

Decision Successful

Assessor Name Xxxxxx Xxxxxx

Assessor summary of operator case
    In this case the operator has not submitted any evidence within the 21 days allowed, to show why it issued a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) to the appellant.

Assessor summary of your case
    I note the appellant has submitted grounds of appeal. However, as the operator has not given evidence within the time frame allowed, I do not need to consider the appellants’ submitted information in order to reach a decision about this appeal.

Assessor supporting rational for decision
    POPLAs remit is to assess whether a PCN has been issued correctly, in accordance with the terms and conditions of parking displayed on the signage at a site. When assessing a charge the burden of proof initially lies with the operator. It must provide evidence of the terms and conditions of the parking site, how the driver was made aware of the specific parking conditions, how the terms of the parking contract were breached, and how the appellant was made aware of the charge.
    As the operator has not submitted a case file or evidence within the 21 day period allowed, I am unable to assess the validity of the charge. I note the appellant has submitted their reasons of appeal, however I have no need to consider this information.
    I cannot assess the validity of the charge and therefore I consider it was issued incorrectly and allow this appeal.
  • Mum7
    Mum7 Posts: 42 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2019 at 8:05AM
    Options
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6015816

Pcn issued fantasy island Skegness - wrong digits entered
    Smart parking

Decision - successful

Assessor name - Adele Ditchfield

The operator has not provided a copy of the PCN.

The appellant says they purchased a parking ticket, but the first two letters printed are incorrect. The appellant has requested evidence that shows the payment machine was working correctly. The appellant says the operator has not incurred a loss. The appellant has provided evidence of the purchased parking ticket.

The appellant has identified as the driver of the vehicle on the day of the parking event. As such, I am considering the appellant’s liability for the PCN, as the driver. As the operator has not provided a copy of the PCN I am unable to assess if this has been issued correctly. In terms of POPLA appeals, the burden of proof rests with the operator to provide clear evidence of the contravention it alleges occurred, and consequently, that it issued the PCN correctly. Upon consideration of the evidence provided to POPLA, I cannot determine the terms and conditions of the car park were breached. As such, I conclude that the PCN has been issued incorrectly. Accordingly, I must allow this appeal.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ^^ Smart Parking ^^

I wish posters would put the name of the PPC in their reports of POPLA decisions, otherwise it's a rather contextless account.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • goan02
    goan02 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Got lucky on this one, appealed mainly on authority to issue but won on signage. Leeson learned, follow the advice before jumping in too soon. Thanks for all the help

DecisionSuccessful

Assessor NameAdele Ditchfield

PPC: NCP

Original post: forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6025542

The operator has issued the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) for not parking correctly within the markings of a bay space.

The appellant says there was no signage on the fence enforcing the terms and conditions. The appellant says they do not believe the operator has authority to issue PCNs on the land. The appellant says the car park was full, so they parked on a grass verge where other vehicles were parked. The appellant says they did not block any other vehicles. The appellant paid to park. The appellant says the operator has not experienced a financial loss. The appellant has provided evidence to support their appeal.

The appellant has identified as the driver of the vehicle on the day of the parking event. As such, I am considering the appellant’s liability for the PCN, as the driver. The operator has provided photographic evidence of signage in the car park that states: “A PCN may be issued for failure to comply with the terms and conditions (which can be found in and around this car park)…this includes the following breaches: failure to park wholly within an authorised parking bay…PCN charges paid within 14 days – £50…PCN charges paid after 14 days - £75”. The operator has provided photographic evidence of the vehicle parked on a grass verge, outside of a marked bay. Part of the appellants appeal is that there was not sufficient signage. The operator has provided some images of signage in the site, however these are close up so I cannot determine where they were positioned. The operator has also not provided a site map for me to determine if there was sufficient signage. In terms of POPLA appeals, the burden of proof rests with the operator to provide clear evidence of the contravention it alleges occurred, and consequently, that it issued the PCN correctly. Upon consideration of the evidence provided to POPLA, I cannot determine the terms and conditions of the car park were breached. As such, I conclude that the PCN has been issued incorrectly. Accordingly, I must allow this appeal.
  • beamerguy
    Options
    Well done, NCP, one of the scammers the BPA accept membership fees from ??????
  • kayloh1
    kayloh1 Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2019 at 3:44PM
    Options
    PPC: UKPC

Decision: Successful

Assessor Name: Rebecca Fryer

Assessor summary of operator case:
    In this case the operator has not submitted any evidence within the 21 days allowed, to show why it issued a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) to the appellant.

Assessor summary of your case:
    I note the appellant has submitted grounds of appeal. However, as the operator has not given evidence within the time frame allowed, I do not need to consider the appellants’ submitted information in order to reach a decision about this appeal.

Assessor supporting rational for decision:
    POPLAs remit is to assess whether a PCN has been issued correctly, in accordance with the terms and conditions of parking displayed on the signage at a site. When assessing a charge the burden of proof initially lies with the operator. It must provide evidence of the terms and conditions of the parking site, how the driver was made aware of the specific parking conditions, how the terms of the parking contract were breached, and how the appellant was made aware of the charge. As the operator has not submitted a case file or evidence within the 21 day period allowed, I am unable to assess the validity of the charge. I note the appellant has submitted their reasons of appeal, however I have no need to consider this information. I cannot assess the validity of the charge and therefore I consider it was issued incorrectly and allow this appeal.
  • beamerguy
    Options
    Good news kayloh1

UKPC, a scammer still approved by the BPA ???
  • TeddyRascal
    TeddyRascal Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2019 at 12:18PM
    Options
    7 x PCN's and LBCC's for parking at a NHS Hospital.

PPC: Car Parking Partnership

Decision: Withdrawn (7 seperate POPLA appeals)

Reason: Client Request

No other details provided, thread and POPLA appeal can be viewed here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6010682
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done!

Makes you wonder if the NHS Trust is insisting on being consulted for any cases disputed to POPLA stage.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback