The Great ‘Store Returns Policy’ Hunt. Who, what, where and when?

Comments

• funky04 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experiences of returning goods at Tesco....and if you dont have a receipt do they give you a gift/money card?
    I've taken a couple of things back to my local Tesco without receipts (bought in error, not faulty) and they allowed me to exchange them for any goods in the shop to the same value. But on one occasion they were less flexible and would only allow me to exchange a pack of too-small nappies (my baby wears cloth so it takes us months to use up a pack of disposables) for a different size of the same brand.
  • twig1_2
    twig1_2 Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    Asda has a good returns policy on

:j practically everything.:T

i bought a camera last december, it packed up this week i took it back and got a full refund £130.00

i went across the road to see what offers they had on other cameras, currys, comet etc! much of a muchness.

went back to asda and spent my money there.

i dont think anyone has a fairer returns policy 10 months down the line. :money:

This week also my phone camera packed up. yes i know how lucky can one get. took it back to car phone warehouse.:confused: they want to send it back for repair takes a month. and no they wont give you a phone to use as a temp phone . B. A. S. T. A. R. D. S:mad:

all this took place in Carlisle were very hard folk up here.:rotfl:

Beware not flexible if you try and take back skiwear or occassion wear ie wedding stuff to another store.

Tried to take some skiwear back to 2 local stores 2 weeks after buying with a receipt and refused by both and told to take back to store 20 miles away
  • rb1
    rb1 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Argos can be horrible. I returned a faulty phone bought for my daughter. I couldn't find the receipt but had all the packaging complete with the Argos catalogue code still on the box etc. They were extremely rude about the fact they could do nothing (they said) without the receipt, even though I wanted a replacement not a refund, and seemed to be implying some kind of dishonesty on my part. When I challenged this the asistant brought the manager who was equally rude and almost threatened to throw myself and my husband out of the store. I found the receipt a short time later (same day) and returned and they processed an exchange no problem. An apology?- no chance. The 'manager' wanted to know if I could see why he had to be strict-huh!Not impressed.
  • ptyks
    ptyks Posts: 317 Forumite
    Store/Chain Name: Boots
    Can you return goods without a problem? Ie you bought it and changed your mind... is this allowed: Yes, with receipt up to 30 days, without receipt no limit -- but be sure that item is still on the shop floor and only for boots branded items (except medicine and cosmetics)
    Does it offer a full refund or credit note? Full refund with receipt or exchange only without receipt -- used to give a gift card, but not anymore (only boots branded item) If you get an unwanted gift from Boots branded item, you can exchange for stamps or mobile topup voucher too.
    Are you a customer or employee/former employee? Customer

Anything else people should know...
    I used to return some online items to store. The online delivery slip didn't have the price. So I got my money back based on the store price. Once I was lucky as the online price was 75% off, but it was full price instore. However, I didn't mean to do this as I can't remember exactly how much I paid for those 4 returned items (can you remember each price with more than 20 items in an order?) and didn't watch the price scan carefully at the till. Saw this after arriving home from the receipt.
  • mothercare returns policy is you can return most things if they are unused and within 28 days you will get a full refund if you have your receipt, we will still return without receipt; but you will not get cash back ,we issue a gift card
    exceptions to returns policy is nappies, baby milk, medicines, books and dvd's
    please note we can tell when an item is used so please dont embarrass yourself by trying to bring it back
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ptyks wrote: »
    Store/Chain Name: Boots
    Can you return goods without a problem? Ie you bought it and changed your mind... is this allowed: Yes, with receipt up to 30 days, without receipt no limit -- but be sure that item is still on the shop floor and only for boots branded items (except medicine and cosmetics)
    Does it offer a full refund or credit note? Full refund with receipt or exchange only without receipt -- used to give a gift card, but not anymore (only boots branded item) If you get an unwanted gift from Boots branded item, you can exchange for stamps or mobile topup voucher too.
    Are you a customer or employee/former employee? Customer

Anything else people should know...
    I used to return some online items to store. The online delivery slip didn't have the price. So I got my money back based on the store price. Once I was lucky as the online price was 75% off, but it was full price instore. However, I didn't mean to do this as I can't remember exactly how much I paid for those 4 returned items (can you remember each price with more than 20 items in an order?) and didn't watch the price scan carefully at the till. Saw this after arriving home from the receipt.

Eh? Without a receipt -no limit and with a receipt 30 days?
  • was very surprised to read catsonic's version of woolworths return policy.Recently i was given a rechargable lantern(woolworths own brand)as a gift.Took it the local store and asked them that as this was given as a gift to me i dont have the receipt but would like to exchange it with something else.The employee over there flatly refused saying that without a receipt they will not take it back.....even though it was their own product!
    Was very disappointed with that as i was not asking them to give me the money back just wanted to exchange with something else or even a credit note.
  • angeltoad wrote: »
    WE discovered that we could not return a DVD recorder under the 30 Day guarantee as it was exempt. this was marked by a tiny tiney cross next to the catalogue number which you would nto normally notice. Watch out for this. All these items are exempt from theri much publicised 30 day return policy.

You can't return MP3 players either. The assistant did point this out when I ordered.
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • My friend bought from Lakeland and wasn't satisfied with the purchase so telephoned them and they not only refunded her money to her card but said dont sent the item back, just donated it to a charity of her choice.

Wow, thinks me, now thats good, but I hope it doesn't get abused....

That happened to me several years ago but it was for a really cheap item, more expensive stuff would have to be returned. No idea what the limit is though.
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Sammz wrote: »
    Next
    Never any problems returning anything
    I've never had problems returning clothes, but they can sometimes get funny about the method of original payment if you paid part-cash, part-giftcard.

I've returned shoes that have cracked after several months use, complaining that they were not fit for purpose as I expect much more use from a pair of shoes and they were fine with that and gave me an exchange.

The one thing to really be aware of - especially with Xmas looming - is buying toiletries from Next. They explicitly state on their receipts that refunds are not given on toiletries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure