The Great ‘Store Returns Policy’ Hunt. Who, what, where and when?

Options

Comments

• julie1974
    Options
    Early Learning Centre have a fantastic no quibble returns policy. I bought a spaceship for my son. After we had unpacked it and he played with it for a bit I realised that it was to old for him and he was frustrated at how fiddly it was. ELC exchanged it without question, they would have given me my money back if I wanted. I did return the spaceship with all it's original packing but I don't know of any other shop that would do that.

They also exchange unused toys without a receipt, I had something for months before I got round to taking it back and they swopped it for me, no questions asked.

It's a bit pricey but their customer service is great.
  • catsonic
    catsonic Posts: 422 Forumite
    Options
    woolworths

Goods can be returned without problem as long as you have reciept and is within the 28 days. Dvds and cds and computer games have to still have cellophane on. Woolworths own products and be returned without reciept as long as they have tags on, but will only be given value at time of refund.

Electrical products have 1 years refund policy, even if there is no box as long as its faulty you'll get an exchange or full refund as long as you have reciect.

If you paid by card and have statement then that will be accepted as proof of purchase.

We are now doing gift reciepts, if the shop you go to arnt doing them yet ask the assistant to write on the reciept that its a christmas present and get her to sign it. (i've been doing that for a few weeks now).

employee

In my store it depends whos in as to wether the assisant can stretch the rules abit and also which manager she speaks to. 1 manager could say no to a refund and she will go to another one and he'll say yes.

It also makes a world of difference if the customer is pleasent when asking for a refund. If a customer comes in with a face like thunder and is totally umpleasant to me i will go to the top boss who says no to everything. If you come in and are pleasant i'll go to my other boss who is very lenient and lets alot of things go through that maybe shouldnt.
  • boosh_2
    Options
    Virgin Megastores (soon to be Zavvy)

Will exchange anything in resellable condition within 28 days, even if it is open. Due to the fact that all their products can be copied easily, they don't offer money back refunds, unless you return it on the same day (eg. "I bought this for my dad but just found out he already has it"). If you ask politely for a cash refund after the first day, the manager will generally give it the go ahead. No receipt no refund.

Topshop
    30 day refund with receipt. 30 day exchange without refund.
  • SPANIEL36
    SPANIEL36 Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    Options
    SportsWorld
    NO REFUNDS, but goods are returnable. Not sure of time limit.
    Credit note offered if you want to change your mind.
    Receipt is required.
    I am not sure of the time limit.
    I was a customer.
    I rang head office and explained that there were no other items in their store which were suitable for exchange. They asked me to write in, including the credit note and they kindly sent me a cheque refund.
    'No refunds' notices are by the tills (I noticed them when I returned the goods DOH!).
    Hope this helps,
    Thanks.

i got a refund last week but items were faulty. i bought 2 pairs of barbie boots for my girls for winter, they had only worn them one day and the sole was coming away. They tried to give me the speil about no refunds and i simply told them that the goods were not fit for the purposse in which they were bought and i did not want another pair, so they give me a refund
  • racheldawson
    Options
    Am upset with woolworths as they don't offer an exchange or credit note for items unopened and unused if you don't have the receipt.
  • pr3ci0us0n3
    Options
    • ASDA
    • My mum got me a skirt from ASDA but it was too small so I returned it in the bag with the tags on but no receipt
    • I asked for an exchange lady behind the till was happy to give it to me
    • No
    • No
    • Customer
    • Staff were friendly and helpful
    Ten minutes later I went to TESCO
    • TESCO
    • I got a pair of trousers a week later (after having removed the tags - big mistake) I had to return them to the store as they were too big
    • I asked for an exchange as I had the receipt.
    • Yes
    • 28 dayts
    • Customer
    • The woman behind the till said TESCOs policy was original packaging and receipt. I explained I didn't have the tags so she asked me to go home and get them. When I asked where the policy was she said. "Well it used to be on the till until we had a refurb in April (please bear in mind this was October 2007!!) and now they are here." She had to move a trolley and open a sliding cupboard door because the policy was hidden. I pointed out no-one buys their shopping from the customer service desk so I would never be able to see the policy from where the till is especially since it was hidden behind a door!!!! She then got the mamger out who didn't acknowledge me but when he eventually did and I expalined the above he told me to "Shut up and let him speak" As you can imagine I didn't stay in the store much longer. I have since spoken to a different manager at the same stoer who apologised for his rudeness and offered me a full refund. When I did go back for my refund the lady on the desk asked for the card I had used to pay with but because I didn't have it she kindly gave me the cash I would have settled for an exhange.
  • Rolo_2
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    What's it all about?

Everyone knows that buy things at Marks & Spencer and you can return it no quibbles. However many think this is a legal right; it isn't, unless there's a problem with the goods bought in store you've no right of return (see Know your consumer rights article).

So I wanted to find out your experience of each major store to compile the info... any help especially from store staff who know the policies would be great.

How to fill out the info

Please reply in the following way...
    • Store/Chain Name:
    • Can you return goods without a problem? Ie you bought it and changed your mind... is this alloed
    • Does it offer a full refund or credit note?
    • Did you need to have your receipt/a copy of the credit-card statement?
    • Is there any time limit? Is it seasonal?
    • Are you a customer or employee/former employee?
    • Anything else people should know...
    Martin :)

PS THANKS IN ADVANCE

threadbanner.gif

B & Q

28 days no quibble with a receipt for full refund in the method used for original purchase, i.e. cash purchase = cash refund, card purchase = card refund. If you want to return something over 28 days just say you haven't got your receipt; they will still refund but in vouchers.
  • susanb1066
    Options
    You tend to find that most large companies, providing you have a receipt, will refund in full within 28 or 30 days. Without a receipt they will offer exchange or gift voucher to current selling value, they will also accept bank statements as proof of purchase. As for faults, they will only do it if they believe it is a manufacturing fault. You usually find that if it is a manufacturing fault, e.g. broken zip or splitting at seams, then it will happen within the first couple of months any longer than that and it will be classed as wear and tear. A lot of small independent companies will use this to full advantage, one store I used to work for refused to refund any faulty item before sending it to be tested. They will only offer an exchange or credit for perfect goods even with proof of purchase. So long as a store has fitting rooms to try clothes on in, they don't have to offer you anything!
  • cam101
    cam101 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jane Norman

Jane Norman are a funny lot, you only get 14 days to return (even if perfect condition with tags and receipt). This can catch you out, as most places offer 28 days.

With sale items an assistant told me it was 7 days, and only for exchanges. I am not sure if this is true but certainly what I was told when trying to return something.

My policy now is not to go in there!

Cam
  • susanb1066
    Options
    If thats the case, its against your rights. If you have proof you paid a certain amount for something then they HAVE to give you that money back the method you paid. Take GAP for example, they may not still do this as it used to be hush hush, but if you bought something from them and it went in the sale, then providing you have your receipt and its within the 30 days they will refund you the difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure