What's the single best tip you can give for all those in debt ?

Comments

• immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't be too harsh on yourself and expect massive results straight away. Be proud of any progress you make even if it's as simple as cutting up a card.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    1) you are a human not an ostrich:D So don't bury your head in the sand. The debts are not going to go away
    2) If they charge then say NO.......to debt management companies
    3) If you need something check https://www.freecycle.org first rather than reaching for the credit card!

cheers
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    1. Destroy all your credit cards - NOW !
    2. Don't buy anything unless you can pay cash up front.
    3. Don't consolidate your existing debts.
    4. Accept that you can't have everything you want now.
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    :T SPENDING DIARY :T

(She says - not having done hers for a month! :eek:)

Catt xx
  • bank_of_slate
    bank_of_slate Posts: 12,922 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Chop up the cards! (See my pic<
    )

I opened a second basic account and put a set amount in there every month. There is no overdraft and it works for me!
    My main account pays all the bills and is paying off the card.
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • Nelle_2
    Nelle_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    dubgirl wrote: »
    for me it was talking to someone and unburdening myself - for a long time no one knew about my debt. My OH was the first person I told and it was such a relief getting it out in the open. It sounds a bit cheesy but it was a liberating moment for me.

that is so true, dubgirl. I spent several years hiding credit card bills and trying to cope alone. When I confessed to my OH and he stood by me, I felt a sense of relief and something else that I couldn't quite explain. You have just hit the nail on the head "LIBERATING". To know that you have the support of someone and can move forward instead of being stuck with nowhere to turn is marvellous. I will take on all my credit card companies now that I know I am not alone.

:beer:
    So happy that I found you:j
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Great thread.

I agree with all of the above posts. I've also found that the easiest way to stop feeling overwhelmed by it all is not to dwell on how long it will take to clear my debts - that would be just too depressing. We're talking massive debt here and a very long timescale to clear it all.

So for me I just work out my budget, clear as much as I can each month and then forget about it and get on with living - dfw style of course!!!

For me the big thing was changing the way I look at spending - I no longer fritter money away on "stuff" and "bargains" and I honestly don't miss the shopping sprees. I now treat extreme budgeting as a game and a personal challenge - how low can I go?

Big tip - if you can't bear to admit to everyone that you are in deep financial doo-doo tell them you are living simply for environmental reasons because you want to do your bit for the planet!!:cool:

Good luck everyone.
  • 1) Spendng Diary/ spreadsheet
    2) ONLINE Banking
    3) Meal Planning

:money:
  • Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My tips would be....

Money diary - makes you loathed to spend money when you have to see it as a constant reminder in print.

Check this site daily for up to date information and inspiration.

Stop being shy/lazy about your cash and get wise.
    If you get short changed in a shop speak up, If you feel as though your purchase is faulty/damaged/doesnt work, dont just bin it because you cant be bothered, take it back or if your not happy with a service complain.

Never consolidate debts as you will end up paying more.

Start enjoying saving and being careful with your cash, it will eventually become as much fun as spending.

Cut up them credit cards and chuck them away. use debit cards only.

Meal plan, use household cleaning products sparingly, cut down on the toiletries (they is no need to have 6 different shower gels with 6 different fragrances) and shop with a list.

Cut back on unecessary spending like Sky/Take aways/Boozy nights out etc
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OH - you said ONE single tip.

Theres soooooooooo many good ones, I couldnt help but gush a few out :D
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport