What is the best change you have made in your DFW journey?

Options

Comments

• t4mof
    t4mof Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having the courage to look at the online banking every day and making sure I can get to the end of the month with money still left in the account.
    CC Debt at LBM Nov 08 - £25000+ DFD Dec 2012
    Second DFD May 2021
    Starting my MFW journey: Opening Balance: £138,000; July 2019: £135107.33; July 2023 £119450.87
    2024 MFW #45
  • Mikeone
    Mikeone Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    For me it's the financial education I have received as a result. The 'bad' years during which I was accruing the debt and getting into a mess provided me with an education on how companies can exploit ignorance. The DFW years (still going) are providing an active education in how to win as a consumer.

The attitude change is also good. My LBM was delayed because I thought that the DFW journey would be restrictive. I was wrong -it is liberating. I now know exactly where my money is going, and where to get the best deals. I'm still on the journey, still learning, but I no longer fear window envelopes or withheld numbers. I no longer cross my fingers when I use a cashpoint, I no longer worry that I will have enough money to get through the month.

I'm a DFW and it feels good! :j
    I'm a...I'm a real traditionalist of course
  • Jazzie99
    Jazzie99 Posts: 289 Forumite
    Options
    For me its been a number of things,

1) change in mindset
    2) checking my on-line bank accounts
    3) learning about money ie. interest rates/mortgages/isa's
    4) haggling and checking for the best deals
    5) and most importantly, keeping my beloved spreadsheets up to date!!

The one thing I havent yet got to grips with is the food budget. We spend £400 a month (family of four and includes nappies/wipes). I'm sure i could bring that down with a little forward planning.
    Friend Debt: 5,000/3,850
    2013 Start Mortgage: 306,585/306,585
    Overpayments: 0
    ISA Saver:
    £10
  • ceejaydee23
    ceejaydee23 Posts: 433 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2011 at 9:40AM
    Options
    Jazzy i don't know how old your little ones are, but there are 4 in our household too, At the moment I'm giving myself £60 a week as a household spend budget, I've struggled this week, mainly because i didn't make a list, and tried to do my shop with little man asleep in his buggy as didn't want to wake him up and I've forgotten things! so need to go out again, :( which means for first time I will have spent over my budget, But thankfully there is funds to do it. My youngest is 14 months, My Nappie/wipes budget is separate though. I have found it really tough though, But i think its because we are still learning.

From next month, I think were gonna do a big stock up shop when other half has been paid, then do smaller top up shops, and also go to our local fruit n veg growers place, and buy in bulk for our fruit n veg, as i already know the prices of loose peppers there are 20p cheaper each, than my local morrisons! so for buying 3 peppers, Id save the cost and beable to get a 4th lol.

And I'll see how much we can save on a "weekly budget" doing it that way, So watch this space!

Just to add I've also been buying £5 a week morrisons saving stamps out of that £60 a week budget aswell! (doing them as christmas savers for us and both of our mums)
    Jazzie99 wrote: »
    For me its been a number of things,

1) change in mindset
    2) checking my on-line bank accounts
    3) learning about money ie. interest rates/mortgages/isa's
    4) haggling and checking for the best deals
    5) and most importantly, keeping my beloved spreadsheets up to date!!

The one thing I havent yet got to grips with is the food budget. We spend £400 a month (family of four and includes nappies/wipes). I'm sure i could bring that down with a little forward planning.
  • Jazzie99
    Jazzie99 Posts: 289 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Ceejay - my two are 5 and 2 years old (hopefully the nappies will be gone within 6 months!). I think I'll do a food plan for April and see if I can reduce the monthly food bill by £50.... set myself a little challenge!!
    Friend Debt: 5,000/3,850
    2013 Start Mortgage: 306,585/306,585
    Overpayments: 0
    ISA Saver:
    £10
  • debtfreedebs
    Options
    Wow you are all doing wonders and have given me some inspiration. Im going to start paying for everyday things in cash and just use my bank account to pay essential direct debits. Thank you
  • DebtFreedom_2
    Options
    For me its getting my OH to have her LBM too. I tried doing it alone but it led to arguments and resentment. Now were a team again, and I don't care we don't have money, we have each other. We're really making inroads to the debt now.
    Credit Card (Mar 2011: £11,171; Mar 2012: £14,494; April 2012: £13,329) :(
    Mortgage (Mar 2011: £199,200; Mar 2012: £190,340; April 2012: £189,635)
    Debt Free date: May 2013 :eek:
    :xmastree: Clear debts by December 2012: £3,000/£12,000
  • dollybeads
    dollybeads Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    Love this thread :heartpuls

As others have said, budgeting, recording all spends, weekly meal plans, downshifting on the shopping has saved me hundreds.

But also, If I am tempted to spend on something, I try really hard to invoke the 24 hour rule, ie I don't impulse buy and give myself some time to see whether i really do need it. This has worked every time so far. I did impulse buy a sewing machine in the sales recently, but took it back the next day for a refund.

This has really helped me to manage the mindset of "i work hard, therefore I deserve a treat" mentality that I still struggle with.

Have a good weekend all.

Dolly x ;)
    Sealed Pot Challenge #1247 = £111.41/£500
    2011 Made on ebay to date £368.31 (exc P&P)
    Freebies £15 Amazon Voucher
    DFW Nerd * 1366, DFD September 2013 :j
    The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away
    Tom Waits, Small Change :mad:
  • LAM2011
    LAM2011 Posts: 1,432 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The single biggest thing that has helped me is finding this forum! Everything else has been a result of the advice and interaction from all you lovely people. I now :
    • have a better grip on finance in general and keeping my spreadsheets and note of daily spend
    • checking my banking and organising payments
    • not spending on credit card as though its free money
    • getting out of my overdraft
    • cutting down on shopping and spend of everything by making proper grocery lists and sticking to budget
    • joing Q, TCB, and some survey sites which have provided much needed extra pennies.
    :D
  • ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I would still be in £19,000 of debt if it wasn't for the help & support of this forum! And even though that is paid of, I still visit and I love this place!

Also learnt a lot about myself, and not as shallow and materialistic as I was, and love a good bargain! xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure