PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your OS compulsion?

Comments

• dont know if this counts towards os but handmade soap i love it and at the moment have 10 bars :eek: fabric lots of it and patterns ..it will be all used one day :rotfl:dont get me started on all the wool :rotfl:
  • Mulitple compulsions here...

Huge stash of tinned/dried food
    Freezers bursting at the seams
    Cook Books
    Diet Books
    Kitchen cookware/gadgets
    Bargain clothes for my son `to grow into` though not MS when I take them out and they have already been outgrown :mad:
    Vast collection of various plastic storage crates/drawers/tupperware etc.
    Collection of many crochet patterns, started 25 years ago when they were so hard to find that everywhere I went I`d check out out the wool shops and buy any patterns they had. Built up a lovely pile, mainly baby stuff. Ironically when my son was born I never actually made him a single thing!
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Christmas Wrapping paper - have a large black bin liner full of rolls in the cupboard under the stairs...accumulated over the last decade (I do try and use some of it up each year, but I always end up buying new patterns as well, so replenish the stock each year! :doh:).

Pyrex... It is well known within my family that I have a Pyrex obsession (have been caught by Mr P standing in a department store stroking the Pyrex dishes when I think nobody is looking :whistle: - they are so lovely and streamlined...! :o). I finally realised my family might have a point (that I have too much Pyrex) because we are in the process of selling our house (and therefore clearing our freezer). As we have been clearing out the homemade ready meals, the designated "Pyrex" cupboard ran out of space. I took two boxloads of the square dishes (the clear Pyrex dish with the white plastic lids) up to our new home a couple of weeks ago. I counted 20+ of the small size and more than a dozen of the middle size, plus 5 of the large size...and we still have a few of each lurking in the freezer, and I also left a few in the Pyrex cupboard in case we get a Pyrex emergency between now and moving...!!! :rotfl: In my defence, I would like to blame Woolworths for my addiction - its their fault for having these boxes on offer so often - I only bought a couple at a time, but because they fitted so well in my freezer and I didn't realise how many I had, I just kept buying them. :D

I am also guilty of visiting many supermarkets to do the weekly shop (and I surf the net to catch the offers, too). Well, surely if they didn't want me to shop around, they wouldn't have built a Lidl next door to Asda, would they?! :confused: (Was relieved to find that when I move, Lidl is opposite Tesco, and Aldi - a new experience for me...can't wait! :dance: - is a stone's throw from Morrisons and Asda - phew!!!).

Apart from the above, I think that I am just a normal, non-obsessive, OS-board surfer - move along please...nothing strange or out of the ordinary to see here!!! ;):p

Piglet
    x
  • what a great thread!

I keep buying non-perishables on offer, but unfortunately I don't have the storage space for 28 tins of tuna which I have stashed right now...
  • Books ,wool,making lists,can't throw a card out without cutting off usefull bits for my crafting ,saving Christmas paper,old jam jars,buttons.In fact I find it hard to throw anything out that I can't think I could recycle into something else.Its no that I hoard as such:o I just can't bear to see waste if I can re-use stuff.My DDs say that when I shuffle off this mortal ciol they will have a huge bonfire of all my 'rubbish' But things do come in useful Last week one of the DGS had a shop bought mask for Halloween and had a broken bit of elastic where he would have worn it on his face."Ask Granny I bet she's got some in her sewing box",and sure enough I had some which saved a little boys tears, and a few bob from having to buy some It had sat in my sewing box for about twenty odd years but it finally came into use. Grandma's do have their uses at times:rotfl::rotfl:and no it didn't come from my knickers:rotfl:
  • Mine is lists, definitely. I love making lists of potential meals, and also making lists to shock myself. For example, I'm a bit like the Demotivator tool on this site. I work out how much I'm spending on such and such a treat or item, and then resolve to buy something cheaper.

I also love cook books. I keep trying to tell myself that if it has been published, it is probably online somewhere, but the pictures just look so tempting...

Kitchenbunny xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tights!!!

Just cannot resist a bargain pair of tights. I have two big storage crates full of the things. Every colour, thickness, texture, pattern under the sun :rolleyes:

And I seem to live in jeans or trousers so hardly ever wear 'em :o
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    citroennut wrote: »
    Thriftlady, I got a leaflet thingy from the Book People today and they are selling this book for £9.99. I'm very tempted too.

I had to throw my latest Book People leaflet straight into the recycling because I just KNOW there would be books begging for me to buy them!!
  • I threw my Book People leaflet out too - those things are just too tempting and I don't need any more temptation.

My obsession is buying things for presents for people when I see them at a good price and putting them away. Then I find that somebody in my house has "tidied up" and the present can't be found at the appropriate birthday and turns up in a silly place weeks after. Threats about what wil happen if that somebody moves my present stash seem to fall on deaf ears.

I also fill the cupboard with enough special offers of things that we use that I have to be quite creative about how it is packed away. The cat food lives in (and on top of) a cupboard in my OH's study. There are so few offers on the ones that they like/don't upset them that I tend to go overboard when I happen on a good offer. My OH complained when he worked out that I had a good nine month supply in there... It is just that several good offers came along at once :rolleyes: Then there were no offers for ages so I felt justified.

It is so good to know that I am not the only one with compulsions..;)
  • I didn't manage to throw the Book People leaflet away. I opened it and found the Rachel Allen cookbook I've wanted for ages on offer at £7.99, and thought I might as well get the pressure cooker cookbook that was on the opposite page too as it was only £4.99 and as I had a code for free delivery I was saving money, really :rolleyes:

So my compulsion is cookbooks. I can't resist them. Every time I go into town I pop into the charity shops and accidentally buy another cookbook. I have no idea how many I have. Maybe thirty. And I love them all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure