PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Comments

• My boyfriend makes this recipe daily and it takes him less than 5 minutes. After a few disasters, it's foolproof. The trick seems to be in getting the order of the ingredients right. As it uses very little yeast (an expensive ingredient) it costs less that 25p and is delicious, very filling and good for your digestive system (all that fibre :rolleyes: )

1 and 1/8 cup of water
    1 and 1/2 tablespoon skimmed milk powder
    2 tablespoon oil (I use olive, but other is fine)
    2 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 and 1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 and 1/2 cups strong wholemeal flour
    1 vitamin C tablet crushed
    1 and 1/4 teaspoon fast action yeast

Use basic setting (3 hours)

To make sure the water temp is right, use 1/8 cup boiling water and one cup cold.

To the water, add the milk powder, oil, sugar and salt. Then add the flour and sprinkle the yeast and the crushed vitamin C tablet over the top. Bake and voila!

For a bit of variety and for those who like to get your essential fatty acids in your diet, you can substitute the 1/2 cup flour for 1/2 cup of ground 5 seed mix (made up of 1/2 linseed and the rest equal quantities of hemp, pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds).

For a fruit and nut twist, I add some chopped dates and any random seeds or nuts I find in the cupboard.

If I visit friends or relatives, I often take a loaf as a gift and it is always greatfully received - and a lot more money saving than cut flowers from the supermarket!

I should add, the breadmaker cost us nine pound new in box from local paper and our tin is a large one - makes a 750g loaf - although this bread doesn't rise to high so should be OK in a smaller tin
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    My first do-it-yourself recipe in BM!

Basic White Bread Recipe (MR large loaf)

Water 1 1/8 cups
    Skimmed milk powder 2 1/2 tbsp
    Butter 2 1/2 tbsp
    Sugar 1 tbsp
    Salt 1 1/4 tsp
    Strong white flour 3 cups
    Dry yeast 1 1/4tsp

Throw in at 'beep stage'.....

Left over cooked spicy sausages chopped in small bits. (Veggie)
    Caramelised onions (OK, I burnt them!)
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Specially for Squeaky who can't wait for tomorrow.

Milk 1 1/4 cups
    Egg beaten 1 medium
    Butter 1/4 cup
    Sugar 1/4 cup
    salt 1tsp
    strong white flour 3 3/4 cups
    dry yeast 1 1/2 tsp
    setting Dough

measure ingredients into baking pan and secure in breadmaker. select dough setting and press start. When programme is finished, remove dough and roll to 1/2 inch thick.
    cut into 2 1/2 inch rounds and use something to cut the holes in the middle. leave to rise for about 30 minutes until doubled in size.
    Deep fry at 190o turning as they rise to the surface. Cook until brown on both sides. drain and dip in caster dugar. ( or caster sugar mixed with a bit of cinnamon. Sit back and wait for the compliments, or if like me eat them all first before anyone else gets home:D

This recipe is from the morphy richards bread book and the measures are for their cup sizes. I will try and work out the weights tomorrow. 2 year old daughter permitting.
  • Hi guys!
    Does anybody have a recipe for biscuit/cookie dough in the breadmaker? I've searched the thread and can't find one so apologies if it's here already. I've seen the recipe for the ones made by hand but I've got no kitchen scales at the mo so want to use the breadmaker. Thanks!
    BTW, I have a Morphy Richard fastbake...
    Mortgage-free wannabe!
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have you thought of looking for an American recipe which would more than likely be measured out in cups rather than being weighed?
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Or alternatively there are links in the Old Style Recipe Index to sites that will do conversions so I'm fairly sure that you could change a recipe you like from oz or grams into cups.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • MIRRY_2
    MIRRY_2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Hi , I got my new machine yest at argos reduced from £60 to £39.99 !

Now my son has a milk allergy and in the booklet it says i have to add dry milk powder to the formular.........do i really have to ?
    can i just put a drop of soya milk in it ?

really desperate because my son also has other allergys including NUTS which makes it impossible to buy him any fresh baked bread as they all say may contain nuts. I really want to treat him for the first time to the experiance of fresh bread (hes 11 years old).
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    If I remember correctly from previous posts the dried milk powder is not absolutely necessary and that you can just leave it out.

I'm sure other's will confirm this soon.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Have a read of THIS and see what you think.

I only use the BM at mum's and personally have always added it, but give it a go without and see - worst case scenario is one inedible loaf.
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    I never use milk powder, Vit C tablets or any other extras. Just 600g flour, and a teaspoon each of yeast, sugar, salt and butter (or olive oil for pizza bases or foccaccia), then a cup of water (380ml - ish). Works perfectly every time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure