Do I need a new PC?

Options

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Will you people get a life, yes he does not thank people often, we could all trawl through his history, thankfully I am sensible enough not to trawl your 32000+ posts looking for sensible advice / bad advice / rambling and not helping the thread owner much. Leave tazwhoever to make his/her own decisions.
    The forum exists to help people, not to provide a sounding board for people to disagree unless it helps the OP, there is twitter/facebook etc for that. Perhaps I should contact the forum admins to report all this nonesense and get my own back for the fact my signature was removed because despite the fact I had a stroke and made light of it "I'm afraid we had to remove your signature. It was felt that it could be upsetting to other users who had a stroke"
    So if you all don't calm down you will receive a yellow card for infraction :eek:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 May 2018 at 8:50PM
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    I've no idea of this guy's history or who is is at all. But, even if I trusted him, I'd expect some kind of explanation as to why downloading a BIOS from a "dodgy" source is necessary. Not a post asking a user to blindly follow instructions.

Come on we know who he/she is, I thought you would too:cool: Mind you some on here have gone out of their way to get he/she PPR'd

All anyone has asked for is clarification.

Asking a user to blindly install a BIOS from an untrustworthy source and then refusing to explain why sets off all sorts of alarm bells.

Does using postimg/photobucket etc denote untrustworthy ?

Anyone with a valid reason to suggest someone install such a BIOS would be able to explain why it is a good idea. EveryWhere has repeatedly refused to do so, making it look like he is giving unjustifiably bad advice. So he's quite rightly been "called out" for this.

Do you have access to the pms then?

ChuckMountains examination of the BIOS file suggests otherwise. And EveryWhere was unable to explain why this version was necessary.
    Believe that then, did he compare it to the "original"?

That's not something I've ever come across. The manufacturers sites I've used have always made every BIOS version available.

Again, EveryWhere could have explained this if he wanted to retain any credibility.

I agree. Instead of leaving everyone wondering why on earth you'd want to install what appears to be a hacked version of a BIOS from a dodgy source, EveryWhere could have just explained himself and the thread could have remained on-track and helped the OP. Maybe a more trustworthy source could be found for that BIOS version.

Ha ha! You even went to the effort to post a screenshot! :rotfl:

Clearly I'm not communicating with a peer, as anyone with an ounce of sense wouldn't order a newbie to install a dodgy BIOS without justification.

Please can you put everyone else you disagree with on "ignore" too -- that way we can have an open discussion about any more questionable advice you give without you interrupting all the time when you have nothing interesting to say? (I know you'll take me off ignore again to read this! :-P)
    Come on eshul you are usually quite serious, I am not affiliated to everywhere, also I find his/her posts can often be brusque but he/she has helped many people on this forum since I joined and no-one he/she has helped has ever come back to complain he/she have infected their m/c nor ruined them:beer:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Come on eshul you are usually quite serious, I am not affiliated to everywhere, also I find his/her posts can often be brusque but he/she has helped many people on this forum since I joined and no-one he/she has helped has ever come back to complain he/she have infected their m/c nor ruined them:beer:

I concur.

(ten characters)
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    NO that's why people question the "down load this file"

so I looked

It don't look good

very poor thanked rating for an "expert"

does not like thanking people 32 in 7 months

<260 posts of those 152 are on 56 threads are on the tech forum

There is no substantial history with that contribution

I could trawl through to see the quality of the posts

Posting a link to an unknown file on a sharing site without saying what it is is a basic novice error, and not a way to gain trust

How many of those 56 threads offered the same?

There are 2 basic unanswered questions without simple explanations.

1. what was that BIOS?

2. What is the legal FREE upgrade route from vista from these old Dell 530 machines to an newer MS OS?

Before I answer your questions, I'll explain the two reasons why I put people on ignore.
    The first group are simply troublemakers.
    In this case, you may have noted that their argument changed from; activation that was not legal to now "dodgy BIOS, dodgy website" because their non legal activation argument had been blown out of the water.
    Take note that the person currently arguing actually has no idea about the subject and is basing his argument on an alleged analysis made by someone who didn't even understand the difference between Royalty OEM and System Builder OEM.
    Bluff and bluster being the modus operandi.
    In fact all questions asked have been answered, but because they and yourself simply do not understand the answers, the questions are just repeated ad infinitum.
    Which brings me to the second group.
    People who waste my time and don't appreciate my help.
    They go on the ignore list simply because I don't want to risk wasting my time again.

So now to the answer to your questions....again;

1. It was the version of the DELL BIOS that allowed one to install and activate Windows 7 simply by using DELL media supplied at the time. It is no longer available to the public, other than for those who backed it up.

2. That was your opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7 using Dell's own method. Microsoft does not sell Windows 7 any more, nor do they distribute the image, so there is no 'legal' route as you put it. Most resort to buying COA and Product Keys via eBay etc from discarded machines. Which again is not strictly, 'legal'.
    Strictly speaking, your machine is likely not eligible for the free upgrade' as you may have purchased it too early.
    But since your machine is exactly the same as the machines sold later, it will work in exactly the same way.

So arguments about legality as all moot, since you simply cannot buy a Windows 7 Retail licence via Microsoft or their distributors, as it has been discontinued.
    The only way to legally, as you put it, is to buy someone else's Windows 7 Retail licence. OEM licences are not transferable and are not to be sold without being pre-installed to a device.
    Of course most people and businesses flouted this rule.
    In reality, people either use the System Builder OEM route or the Royalty OEM route. Both work.

So you have clear answers to your questions.

The arguments here are just for the sake of arguing. If they get it wrong, they'll just move on to arguing about something else.
    Like arguing about why I didn't explain all this is my very first post.

Can you imagine the length of the post with all of this, together with step by step upgrade and installation details?
    This for an OP who claims to know nothing about computers?

From years of experience I know the best thing is to keep it simple.
    The fact is, that a couple of people got their noses bent out of shape and decided to hijack the thread to the detriment of all.
    You are only following them because you understand even less than them.

I do my best to help, but if it gets too annoying, better to put that person on ignore. No one here is paying for my time. I decide whom I help.
    In this case I put the BIOS up as there were three people with eligible machines.
    If it has been taken down, I'm happy enough about that. I don't want to help ungrateful people.
    Anyway, I have spent enough time on this thread. I have other people to help.
  • ChuckMountain
    ChuckMountain Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here we go again

Not changing my argument, for clarity:-
    1) Using a modified Bios and "borrowed" media gets a fully activated version of Windows - It however does not grant a legal licence for use of said OS
    2) Bios is from an unknown source with no provenance on a file sharing website - It is a modified version of 1.0.18 with a new SLP 2.1 in the acpitbl.bin file to allow activation of Windows 7 not possible with SLP 2.0. Dell use version control in its bios builds it's not evident in this version

I agree with your points it sucks that there is no legal route for Vista to Windows 7 upgrade for a lot of people. Money saving or not however, that does not give the right for people to bypass it, whether it is this way or an obtained key and activation it does not make a difference.

If the OP wants to do this as others asking also have said then fine but at least caveat it as such. Which you almost seem to do in your last post :)
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    From years of experience I know the best thing is to keep it simple.

Ironically going back to the OP there was never a need for them to install this Bios, they already had a Windows 7 Home Premium they could have reinstalled, fully licenced and no need to explain to a novice what the bios steps from non Dell source where, but you insist on installing Pro with bios upgrade, as you say keep it simple....
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Take note that the person currently arguing actually has no idea about the subject and is basing his argument on an alleged analysis made by someone who didn't even understand the difference between Royalty OEM and System Builder OEM.

You brought the Royalty vs System Builder into when I said that Dell et al still have to count their licences shipped on each machine. What you really think MS does not mind or receive the same amount whether Dell sell 10k or 100k of machines and licences that month ....
  • dogmaryxx
    dogmaryxx Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All this is uncharted ground to me but after a little Google research I doubt very much whether someone like Philip Yip would publish a guide if there was anything illegal about it.

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-vista-oem-to-windows-7-oem-free-upgrade/

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/late-windows-vista-oem-systems-bios-update/
  • ChuckMountain
    Options
    Thanks dogmaryxx it's a useful link and should be the sort of things other should point to rather than arguing :)

One thing all his bios links are back to the main Dell downloads site so have some provenance.

The Inspiron 530s in this case however would not be eligible:-

Quoted from Philip Yip's website (the pages you linked to)

"Once the latest BIOS Update is applied the System License Internal Code in most cases should be updated to version 2.1 from version 2.0. This allows for the activation of Windows 7 OEM using System Locked Preinstallation."

and on the other linked page

Inspiron 530 (Eary (sic) 2007) Legacy BIOS 1.0.18 (SLIC Version 2.0)

So only version 2.0 from Dell on the Inspiron 530s therefore not able nor eligible from Dell to upgrade being one of the oldest machines from 2007.... They never had an upgrade path for it.

Modded bios anybody from a file sharing site with no provenance, no security risk, honest :eek:
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ^^ Now you have finally done a bit of reading, and kind of get the gist of what is going on - (Why didnt you do this first instead of you initial rambling inane posts - i even pointed you in the right direction pages ago)
    Please dont come back thinking you are the authority on such matters, as although you are now on the right track you are still woefully lacking in knowledge and are simply repeating things you read on webpages in the hope you will get the final word..

I dont normally agree with everywhere, but here now, yes, you are making yourelf look like a child that has to be right and YOU have completely ruined this thread, which could have been a nice easy walk in the park for the OP to have a much better running machine ..

Everywhere is very experienced in these matters and has been advising on this board long long before you became a member (albeit under different usernames) - and as somebody else pointed out, he has helped many users in similar positions and all , i reapet all of them have been very happy.

You have added precisely nothing to this thread, apart from silly childish point scoring and been no help to the OP whatsoever

Go you
  • ChuckMountain
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Come on, think about it - I just drop my URL into a normal post on here for example like you see lots of.
    You wouldnt need to interact with it atall, just simply visiting it would have you exploited

Or i could put my exploit code into an advert and insert it on another site - with XP the possibilities are endless

Or you could drop a link to a dodgy bios recommending a novice upgrade .... :rotfl:

Something several other people queried with no other response but trust me ....
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Everywhere is very experienced in these matters and has been advising on this board long long before you became a member (albeit under different usernames) - and as somebody else pointed out, he has helped many users in similar positions and all , i reapet all of them have been very happy.

So we would should always take yours or Everywhere view as you are the only eligible experts in this field....

Everywhere has to change usernames, typical of somebody that can't help but get into arguments with people or does not like it when people disagree.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Track records speak for themselves - Yours isnt looking too clever to date ..

Insert last word Below , im done here
    |
    |
    \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business