PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• pineapple wrote: »
    Round here you are more likely to need a dog cr*p picker. That's because some locals and tourists think it is OK to leave deposits anywhere and everywhere - because it's the countryside innit.
    I'm fighting back and have even forked out for official looking notices from a certain well known shopping site. I'll be putting them up under cover of darkness though guaranteed someone will spot me and it will be all round the village in nanoseconds.

I couldnt possibly comment:shhh: - other than "A woman after my own heart":rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am pleasantlyfull, eaten all nice things today but nothing bad or full of sugars. Taken turkey breast slice out of the freezer, I am going to steam it and then add the rest of the jersey potatoes, will have a few with the turkey and leave the rest to go cold, to change the GI number. Having that rm first thing seems to have kept my tum satisfied for far longer today, no grazing, no cake eaten. I may well consider changing my meal pattern ie main for first meal. I will eat like a king at breakfast, prince at lunch and pauper at tea. I already do the latter, it will just mean swapping lunch and breakfast
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    People who don't pick up after their dogs make me angry, but it is really difficult to deal with them. A few years ago, when I still had dogs, I saw an offender. Time for nice but nevertheless shame call, or so I thought. I pulled a nappy sack out from the stack I carried in my 'dog bag' and offered it. Oh no, she said, you'll need that for your own and walked off quickly leaving said mess behind.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I saw an offender. Time for nice but nevertheless shame call, or so I thought. I pulled a nappy sack out from the stack I carried in my 'dog bag' and offered it. Oh no, she said, you'll need that for your own and walked off quickly leaving said mess behind.
    :rotfl:
    I had to smile at this, quick thinking by her, but annoying of course

Nothing of interest found int the shops, so dinner is the last YS cheese & onion pasty with brown splodge

I still have some of my non scones, had a couple after lunch, quick nuke to warm & refresh them

Promised warmer & sunny again tomorrow, so bed stripped & they can go on the line tomorrow morning

Checked one of my begonia pots, blooming vine weevil there:mad: Squidged it;)

Looks like reading and cuppa in the conservatory is due
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kittie wrote: »

I have been reading about some very interesting developments in the mortgage markets ie interest only mortgages for oldies, they are not equity release. Would make a very good lifeline for those who definitely want to stay in their homes but want/need cash. Looks as though the rate is <4% worth looking into if you want to stay where you are and need updating.
    Watching this one with interest (no pun intended). So far the only (first?) product I've found is just lending to people whose properties are worth a lot more than mine and who want to borrow at least £75,000 :(
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kittie wrote: »
    Having that rm first thing seems to have kept my tum satisfied for far longer today, no grazing, no cake eaten. I may well consider changing my meal pattern ie main for first meal. I will eat like a king at breakfast, prince at lunch and pauper at tea. I already do the latter, it will just mean swapping lunch and breakfast
    Tried that and failed.
    I can go all day till evening without breakfast or lunch and no hunger pangs. But give me a decent breakfast and I am really hungry by lunchtime etc etc... I know it's not supposed to happen like that but the more I eat at the start of the day, the more I want to eat later... :(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 May 2018 at 5:45PM
    sorted: for breakfast, one lamb cutlet with carrots/cabbage/fennel/jerseys. Lunch will be steamed fish/salad leaves/tomato/thin celery slices and pud will be home bottled gooseberries with ice cream. Tea spelt toast/peanut butter. Mid morning hemp/cacao/blackcurrant drink. All food eaten by 4.30

Steamed turkey was lovely. I found some turkey wings and a leg in the freezer, so will make a few ready meals to freeze for breakfasts. I also have a small piece of gammon ham, may make a turkey/ham combo, I can always add pasta and call them pasta bakes. I have some garlic soup in there too. Will combine
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    caronc - re your barbecue tongs for picking things up - and you might find a litterpicker even handier? They are longer-handled and can get a firmer grip of things.

I know this - because I bought a litterpicker - community litterpicking for the purposes of...as there is a HECK of a lot of litter round here (well - there was.....). I've got my suspicions by now that one could trace out an ever-increasing circle which, coincidentally, has my house as its epicentre within which there are "normal" litter levels (ie very little of it). All part of making my environment feel more "familiar" to me LOL - as I'm used to not noticing any litter in most places and very little in more countryish places (not vast amounts of litter in loads of places - as this town did to start with). But the area is getting more normal on that front bit by determined bit by a group of us...
    I did have one of those but I broke it so adopted the old tongs instead. It's six & 2 x3 between which one I got on best with:)
    pineapple wrote: »
    Round here you are more likely to need a dog cr*p picker. That's because some locals and tourists think it is OK to leave deposits anywhere and everywhere - because it's the countryside innit.
    I'm fighting back and have even forked out for official looking notices from a certain well known shopping site. I'll be putting them up under cover of darkness though guaranteed someone will spot me and it will be all round the village in nanoseconds.
    Same here, it drives me nuts.I'm not sure which annoys me most, those that leave it or those that bag it and then hang the bag from something:mad::mad:.
    Farway wrote: »

Well done on that, some of mine have survived but there are gaps to fill, vine weevils:mad:
    I'm not sure if 've had vine weevils, every other critter though so probably have. I lifted the bulb at the end of last season and stored it in dry compost in the greenhouse. I repotted it and brought it indoors just after Easter. It's even bigger today:)

Good evening everyone,

Late on parade today as it has been another cracking day so spent most of it in the garden. Not as warm as yesterday, cardi required, but lovely just the same. I didn't venture to the front as I'm not feeling very bendy today, I contented myself with jobs I could do while mainly seated and managed to get a fair bit done:).

I skipped breakfast, had a banana mid morning and then a naughty but nice lunch of tattie scone, lorne, black pudding, egg and tomato. It was scrumptious:D. I've defrosted a lamb steak for tonight which I'll griddle and have with shallots, steamed baby spuds, broad beans & runner beans.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 May 2018 at 8:38PM
    Walked into town late morning with my sister and stopped for a early lunch in the m&s cafe, just a cheese and ham toasty. We hadn't realised there was an event in the town a mix of knights in armour and expensive British cars and to quote my sister 'the scary looking Morris men' :eek::eek: with pheasant feathers in their hats and dark purple faces no bells just sticks. I think whoever arranged the English festival may have been smoking something during the planning stage as it was such a mish mash :rotfl::rotfl: although the folk singers were good as was the gin sampling (all local gin):beer:

Dinner was baked 'fried' chicken with HM coleslaw and new potatoes. There's some left over for a couple of lunches. I've just taken my no knead fruit and nut bread out the oven, I don't think I allowed it to prove enough the test will be in the cutting but it's still too warm, the texture looks wrong. I've made it once before and it did rise better, time will tell :cool:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Well - if your fruit and nut bread works out okay eventually Brambling it would be good to have the recipe please.:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback