PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your OS compulsion?

Options

Comments

• Dizzyduck
    Dizzyduck Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    Fabric softner and liquid- have a number of bottles under sink from special offers and BOGOF at Marks & Spencer. I know it'll get used but even 4 bottles of each is excessive. Mind you if I spot another special offer will I be able to resist? Probably not!
  • La-Cara
    La-Cara Posts: 915 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    buying LOADS of cheap veg when it's on offer! bought heaps of carrots, onions, potatoes, leeks, parsnips etc this last couple of weeks. I'm slowly working my way through it but I'm sure it'll last me until the end of the year (that was the idea anyway!)
  • funkymonkey849
    Options
    I do this too!

I go onto mysupermarket.com and check all the offers in Tesco and Sainsburys (as both are within 10 mins of me) Then I do my list and write down what I'm getting where AND how much it is. I will always go to Aldi first (about 100m from Sainsburys) though as they often have many things a bit cheaper and will compare their price to the Tesco/Sainsburys one. If cheaper it comes from Aldi and then the price written in little book so I know to go there for XYorZ.

I spend ages doing the shopping list and meals can often change a couple of times while I'm checking out the offers etc... on MySupermarket! It is an obsession and its means the shop usually takes me about an hour and half beacuse I'm always checking, adding up on calculator, and writing prices!

I'm so glad it's not just me though!! :o

LOL! No it's not just you! I'm going to Aldi tonight before tesco to get the cheap stuff from there, then on to tesco with my list (items listed by location no less!)

I think there is a thin line between OS and madness! :D
  • dumpy
    dumpy Posts: 520 Forumite
    Options
    Dizzyduck wrote: »
    Fabric softner and liquid- have a number of bottles under sink from special offers and BOGOF at Marks & Spencer. I know it'll get used but even 4 bottles of each is excessive. Mind you if I spot another special offer will I be able to resist? Probably not!

Snap! There was a really good offer on some washing stuff about 2 years ago I think in Morrisons, much reduced and with a 50p voucher off the new style packet.

At one point I think I had 15 bottles of the stuff. Just about using the last of it now...

And loo rolls... I'm down to my last 48, I'll have to look for a new offer. (I live alone as well... my relatives think I'm bonkers :rotfl:)
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Mine isn't a buying compulsion- it's making shopping lists.
    *cough* cookery books *cough* :D
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Carbohydrates. I always figure if I have loads of them filling the freezer and the cupboards then we may get bored but will not go hungry!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Saving all the little plastic tubs from marg,spreads etc. WE do use them but it can get to the point of forcing myself to throw them away unwashed otherwise I just have to put them away and they avalanche out of cupboards and take up shelf space.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    I can see myself in so many of your posts :o.

- Whoopsie-hunting is one of my worst/best ;) - I can actually sense a yellow sticker in the next aisle :rotfl:.
    - Washing out freezer bags.
    - Washing out margarine tubs AND stacking them neatly in one of the bottom cupboards - nearly kills me to throw one out :rolleyes:.
    - Asking all my 'gardener neighbours' if they can use any packaging trays for growing seedlings in.
    - Freezing anything/everything I can get my hands on. Eg DS2 arrives with dgs3, opens a tin of soup and uses half to feed him with - I grab the remainder, put it in a small freezer tub and into the freezer :o - he'll be grateful one day when he arrives with no dinner for him ;).
    - Watering down semi-skimmed milk to make skimmed :rolleyes:.
    - Putting the plug in the bath while I'm showering so that my feet get a good soaking at the same time - saves using a separate bowl of water.
    - Using up OH's toothpaste when he buys a new tube because he buys the expensive stuff and leaves lots in the old tube :grin:.
    - Flattening the toilet roll tube so the dgk's can't pull loads off the roll without me hearing them do it ;).
    - Hanging onto Christmas Cards/Wrapping Paper from one year to the next. Rolls of wrapping paper are stashed down the side of the wardrobes :) and Christmas Cards are in those boxes that hold reams of printer paper. Also making gift tags out of the Christmas Cards each year :grin:.
    - Have had a 'gold theme' for Christmas for the past 15years or so - saves having to keep buying new deccies - just get a few new ones each year.
    - Lists - shopping lists, reminder lists, freezer lists, present lists et al.
    - Fabric/Wool stashes - very embarassing. We have an amazing remnants shop in Liverpool that I'm addicted to - I frequently go in there and forget to come back out again :o.
    - Cookery books in Charity Shops.
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Options
    I think there is a thin line between OS and madness! :D

I think I need a satnav to find the line !!! :p
    Although, I am not sure which direction I am coming FROM:rolleyes::eek::o:D

anguk wrote: »
    *cough* cookery books *cough* :D

:T:T:T:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

:D
  • laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Options
    I used four old curtains this week-two to make snuggly duvet protectors for the dks (curtain one side, Asda fleece the other), and two to line the door curtain in the hall.

Having dipped into the curtain box repeatedly over the years to make dressing up costumes for school, and having given the better curtains away to friends who needed them, the old curtain box is now looking...gulp...almost empty.

As I took the curtains out of the box I caught myself thinking...No...I can't USE these old curtains...what will I do if I need to use them for something?

Perhaps I need to join Old Curtains Anonymous....:o
    import this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family