Working mum

Hello, I’m struggling to find anyone who can help me. My partner and I both work full time and I am expecting my first child in July. I have started saving money each month to help as maternity pay is so low but I want to know if I will be entitled to claim anything else as we are trying to work out how long I can stay at home with the baby for before returning to work?

Comments

• katie4
    katie4 Posts: 430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    i received £500 from sure start grant anyone can claim for first child i think https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity-grant
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Child benefit?

Also that site will help you work out if you can claim anything else, I'm not up to date with all the latest things, and it will depend on your partner's income.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Looks like you need to be claiming some form of benefits to get the sure start grant.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Other than maternity pay and child benefit there’s nothing else you can get pretty much I’ve found. If you’re not getting full maternity pay you can apply for universal credit, which could possibly help with getting the sure start grant, but as it is we all just have to cut our cloth to survive
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • CrunchyHorse
    CrunchyHorse Posts: 11 Forumite
    I think you can apply for the sure start grant after baby’s born, once you’re claiming child benefit. If you use a benefits calculator it should tell you whether you can claim child tax credits/universal credit as well as maternity pay
  • neeneenoo
    neeneenoo Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My advise would be to avoid tax credits. We were told we were entitled to it, to help pay for childcare then 2 years later they wanted it all back. Same happened to my friend too.
  • You would probably be referred to Universal Credit rather than Tax Credits now as they are (depending on area) sending all new claimants to UC. If you go online you can use a calculator to see if you will be entitled to anything or not, this takes into account your housing costs etc.

UC differs from TC because it changes month to month depending on income, so will change if your partners income per month (overtime etc) and if/when you begin to pay for childcare. Other than UC you should be entitled to Child Benefit about £80 p/m. x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure