Diabetic dog food recommendations

2»

Comments

• Hello there
    I've just joined this site due to my beloved border collie being diagnosed with Diabetes today. I'm at a total loss where to start with the correct dog food to provide a low carb diet. Any advice would be gratefully received. x
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Malling12 wrote: »
    Hello there
    I've just joined this site due to my beloved border collie being diagnosed with Diabetes today. I'm at a total loss where to start with the correct dog food to provide a low carb diet. Any advice would be gratefully received. x

Hi Malling,

First don't panic, it is daunting to start with. I suggest read my previous posts above for a bit of general advice.

Correct dog food can be a subjective view. We stick with the Royal Cannine dried Diabetic Dog Food. We give our border collie 125g twice a day.

You feed to the desired weight of the dog. I would suggest that you ask your vet- which food and how much. I would also really strongly suggest the UK diabetic dogs group on FB. There is usually someone on FB 24/7 so you can get instant advice, support and discuss concerns.

Good luck

CRV
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Vet
    Vet Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    I would avoid royal canin like the plague, it is such a poor quality food.

You say raw isn't an option, that is a shame because realistically it is the best diet at all for any dog even without diabetes.

How about one of the dehydrated or freeze dried brands? It's almost as good but comes with more convenience, it is more expensive than raw feeding but probably cheaper than feeding some dry brands. There are new manufacturers and suppliers coming up all the time as they realise more people are trying to get as natural a diet as possible for their dogs.

Royal Canin is not a poor quality food, it's nutritionally complete and the diabetic food is tailored to be lower in carbohydrates/uses low GI carbs.
    I'm not a big advocate of raw feeding as since it's popularity increased over the past few years i've seen many more cases of salmonella and campylobacter GI infections. The zoonotic potential of feeding raw is also very evident. However, it's not up to me to lecture you on raw feeding - just be aware it's not the holy grail it's made out online to be.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Vet wrote: »
    Royal Canin is not a poor quality food, it's nutritionally complete and the diabetic food is tailored to be lower in carbohydrates/uses low GI carbs.
    I'm not a big advocate of raw feeding as since it's popularity increased over the past few years i've seen many more cases of salmonella and campylobacter GI infections. The zoonotic potential of feeding raw is also very evident. However, it's not up to me to lecture you on raw feeding - just be aware it's not the holy grail it's made out online to be.

I agree with Vet.

Our diabetic dog has managed to remain healthy, active and well managed on Royal Canin Diabetic Dried. The advantages over raw- apart from infection risks- for us are ease of use, consistent known calorie/ nutritional intake, it can be weighed and bagged up in advance in case someone else needs to feed, can be used for the odd treat, when training a small portion can be kept back for rewarding - if a dog is food driven. It doesn't smell either. Not worrying about the feed is another bonus, when we changed to a different feed we had to run more frequent curves.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • laine79
    laine79 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Hi my dog has been recently diagnosed with diabetes. I was just wondering if anyone gets the insulin /needles online and which sites they would recommend if they do. 
  • Not all dogs accept certain foods well. Even diabetic. Each food has its own flavor. We'll have to pick up.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback