The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Gherkins

mimi1234
mimi1234 Posts: 7,949
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
Hi all,

After trying the gherkins in Subway sandwiches, I love them! I've always thought they would have tasted awful but that is not the case.

I got a jar of baby pickled gherkins from Aldi but they were very crunchy. Does anyone know where they sell softer ones? The Aldi ones felt like I was crunching through an apple which was not for me.

Also, might anyone know if they sell sliced gherkins anywhere? I know I could slice them myself but already sliced ones would be better.

Thanks.

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Both Aldi & Lidl are good for Gherkins - and cheap, too. (Large jar of standard gherkins was 69p last time I bought them).

Generally I think people prefer them crunchy. Lidl have sliced Gherkins (sliced length-wise unlike the Subway ones), which are softer than whole ones.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 18,825
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It's easier to get the whole ones than the sliced ones, but most of the supermarkets have them sometimes.

When Lidl had their last USA promotion they had massive jars of the sliced ones, they are lovely. The current jar I've got is from Morrisons.

I prefer the ones sliced across rather than lengthways.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,681
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The "baby" ones from Lidl are "cornichons", they are crunchy and expensive. The standard gherkins are about the cheapest of all supermarkets and are medium firm. They also sell lengthways sliced ones.
  • mimi1234
    Forumite
    Oh thanks all. I didn't know the smaller ones were crunchy hence getting them.

I shall be on the prowl for the regular ones or the sliced ones. Instead of chomping on crisps in bed, I am going to become a gherkin chomper. Hopefully the lbs will drop off!
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,123
    Forumite
    You will have to beat the guys off with a big stick :D
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,

mimi1234 wrote: »
    Instead of chomping on crisps in bed, I am going to become a gherkin chomper. Hopefully the lbs will drop off!

mmm, could think of better things to do in bed, and looking at your avatar, no need to lose lbs, ;)

Good luck though.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,725
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    jwil wrote: »
    It's easier to get the whole ones than the sliced ones, but most of the supermarkets have them sometimes.

When Lidl had their last USA promotion they had massive jars of the sliced ones, they are lovely. The current jar I've got is from Morrisons.

I prefer the ones sliced across rather than lengthways.

I love the Lidl’s sliced lengthways ones.!
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 846
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 July 2019 at 8:52AM
    Hi,

mmm, could think of better things to do in bed, and looking at your avatar, no need to lose lbs, ;)

Good luck though.

You're aware that's an album cover, no?

Anybody know of any offers on water for this thirsty guy?
  • Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 996
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Asda do sliced ones....just to add look at the foreign food section too as they might have them in a Tesco.....
  • mimi1234
    Forumite
    Went to Aldi but couldn't find any sliced ones, just saw some baby ones.

Will pop into Lidl next and see if I can get any.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure