Now TV changes ahead?

Just done a very comprehensive user survey for Now TV.

From the questions being asked, it looks like they are considering some major shakeups for their service, including:-

- Introducing ads to catch-up, box-sets and movies.

- Price changes (both up and down).

- Package add-ons for technical enhancements like 1080p & 4K.

- Package add-ons for account enhancements like ad-free, multiple-concurrent access.

- Downloads and mobile access.

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Interesting.

If they introduce adverts, they will lose my business.

And if Netflix go the same way, I'll give up watching TV completely.

Maybe they could offer a choice though. Cheap subscription with ads or a more expensive one that is ad free.
  • lozzy81
    lozzy81 Posts: 275
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would happily pay a higher subscription charge and have no adverts, I'm sure Now TV already are showing their own TV show adverts between shows? Which I actually dont mind too much, at least I can see what else is on, but adverts about coffee or whatever rubbish they are showing these days I do not watch to be watching!
    Virtual sealed pot 2019 member #6 :j
    £0.00/£200 :)
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    The interesting thing to me will be if they introduce 1080p, and if so how much extra they will charge for it.

Unfortunately, the survey engine didn't have access to my actual passes and how much I pay, and my responses to a total monthly cost of £20+ were rather less enthusiastic than they would have been at the true cost of c. £8pm (Entertainment + movies).
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    I just did the same survey. Looks like they want to introduce ads at the existing price, and offer an ad free service for a premium.

Personally, I think Now TV is not as good as Netflix. I only watch NowTV for the box sets. Maybe they could offer a box sets only service.

Now TV's headline price is higher than Netflix. I have typically paid £4 to £5 a month for the service, but I don't subscribe continuously even at that price as I simply cannot find enough to watch.
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,335
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I did not complete the survey as they were asking for far too much personal information.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Disney are setting up their own app/platform.

If so then all their content will probably vanish from sky including ironically The Simpsons which helped sky in the early days. All the marvel and Star wars films are also Disney studios content .
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 June 2019 at 3:28PM
    They need to add more subtitles for more enrertainment channels, finally they habe some after years but not enough.

They need to sort their app out for Windows 10 laptops, it just closes for no reason when trying to play something. I use my PS4 instead.

If they offer a cheap pass for ads I will do that instead.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,344
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Given it's Sky, I suspect Nick_C is right, same price with ads, or pay more for ad free. I've recently ditch entertainment as I get most of it via Virgin TV, and ditched movies as I got 3 free months with Virgin TV, ends next week. Currently have sports on the 9 month pass, but as that is live, there's ads anyway. Can't imagine watching box sets if there's ads. Noticed a long while back that they stopped having ads in the catch up programmes, which was nice.
    I tended to change between Netflix and Now TV every few months for TV programmes - hadn't had Amazon for a while but got a 30 day free trial this month. Rapidly running out of decent content, a week into that though. I suspect I might just stick with Netflix for now as long as it stays the same price for all content. Plus I might get a life so I watch less TV so I run out of content less quickly.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,096
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Given it's Sky, I suspect Nick_C is right, same price with ads, or pay more for ad free. I've recently ditch entertainment as I get most of it via Virgin TV, and ditched movies as I got 3 free months with Virgin TV, ends next week. Currently have sports on the 9 month pass, but as that is live, there's ads anyway. Can't imagine watching box sets if there's ads. Noticed a long while back that they stopped having ads in the catch up programmes, which was nice.

I wonder if that's the contract I had with NowTV from the first day or so in August last year? It was £179 for 10 months which was excellent value. I'm basically only interested in soccer but with the facility I could watch cricket, golf, etc as well, effectively for nothing. As that time is approaching I'm wondering where I picked up the link to the offer. I wonder if it was on here?
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,344
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    schiff, I think you want the footie season pass - should be on the Now TV website. Not sure if you can access it via the app, but if you go to the website via a PC, it should be an option. The F1 pass usually comes out in February - both are about the same, 10 months for about £180.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure