asda removing option of bags end of july, no alternative offered

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,212 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    aau1 wrote: »
    It's not a cashiers job to bag your food.

Then why do they ask "Are you OK packing" if they have no intention of packing it should you reply "No I'm not"?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 July 2019 at 5:58PM
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    Lets see that work in practice. They will be throwing things in bags to get finished quickly in my opinion.

Whilst I appreciate that the time limit on deliveries is not your problem, I feel sorry for them when they arrive late back to the depot and are then late loading up their van for the next lot of deliveries and then arriving home late but maybe that's just me having compassion for them. Maybe they will be easier on the drivers as I am sure that lots of people will ask for it to be either bagged up or taken and unpacked in the kitchen so, as you say, they may adjust timings allowed etc.

One of my delivery drivers is about 20 years older than me so I wouldn't even think about asking him to bag it up, I would do it quicker than him ! :-)

I am not going to be forceful on anyone, if a driver is unable to bag or lift the crates, or just refuses to (although they have to lift the crates to get out the van, they already need a degree of fitness to do the job they doing) then the result will likely be order is returned and refunded.

Also I never said I had no sympathy for the drivers, I would speculate they are not happy with this change either.

Also as asda requested (I forgot to mention this in earlier post), I will be putting need bagging on delivery notes so one would think asda allocate a sufficiently physically fit driver to the delivery.
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Tesco are going bagless on 18 Aug so Ive been think how I will deal with this .It does annoy me that this process is just pandering to a certain anti-plastic section ..If bags are returned to supermarkets then passed for recycling ( and DO get recycled in the UK and not sent abroad) then wheres the problem,
    At present the driver brings crates up 2 flights and between us we take the bags out the crates and they get put behind me in the hall....I sign for the stuff and off the driver goes. Works well.

Now I have the choice ...I have several of the BAG FOR LIFE bags that can be used to transfer the groceries to OR
    A better idea might be to use three big crates ( same as Tesco etc use) that I have so If I lay the crates down the groceries can be transferred to them and as each one is full I move it out the way and use the next one.
    I did email Tesco and suggest giving customers BAGS FOR LIFE or sell them the crates at a reasonable cost ,,,,we'll see what the say in reply .
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Maybe consider purchasing some fold up crates, I found them really useful in the boot of my car for shopping, as washing baskets when the lads clear there floordrobes,loads of usage for them, they are just generally handy and being fold up no real storage issues.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,212 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    tori.k wrote: »
    floordrobes,l
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Chrysalis
    edited 12 August 2019 at 4:59PM
    Well that delivery was interesting.

Guy said I was the first delivery of the day to "not" reject the order. Everyone else rejected due to been no bags. I was only the 4th delivery but still the accountants cannot be happy about orders been returned fully refunded, whilst taking products off the shelves, paying pickers and paying delivery drivers.

He is also the same guy that delivered my order on 30 july, on that order he didnt use the crates and just carried the bags to the door, I asked him which he found easier, and he replied "no need to ask".

He held up the crates, I bagged the food. He specifically told me to take my time, if he is late, thats not his or my problem, company needs to deal with consequences of decision, in his own words. He clearly wasnt happy.

I dont think this will carry on in its current form, but I also dont see plastic reusable bags coming bag, the government has announced plastic straws are to be banned so social momentum is huge on this which is baffling as there is far worse things than plastic waste.

I think we will start to see paper bags like the Americans use for their food shopping.

To give idea how silly it is, how come plastic bin liners arent been stopped and there will be far more of those in waste than shopping bags given they actually used to hold waste.
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 August 2019 at 6:43PM
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    Well that delivery was interesting.

Guy said I was the first delivery of the day to "not" reject the order. Everyone else rejected due to been no bags. I was only the 4th delivery but still the accountants cannot be happy about orders been returned fully refunded, whilst taking products off the shelves, paying pickers and paying delivery drivers.

He is also the same guy that delivered my order on 30 july, on that order he didnt use the crates and just carried the bags to the door, I asked him which he found easier, and he replied "no need to ask".

He held up the crates, I bagged the food. He specifically told me to take my time, if he is late, thats not his or my problem, company needs to deal with consequences of decision, in his own words. He clearly wasnt happy.

I dont think this will carry on in its current form, but I also dont see plastic reusable bags coming bag, the government has announced plastic straws are to be banned so social momentum is huge on this which is baffling as there is far worse things than plastic waste.

I think we will start to see paper bags like the Americans use for their food shopping.

I don't use Asda but I have been asking the Tesco drivers about this and the impression I get is that they are not happy ....they stop using plastic bags on 19th August

I have three supermarket crates which I can transfer the groceries to so we'll see how it goes.

As I see it the problem is not plastic use....it is the inablity to deal with the recycling of plastic in this country and the pandering to the anti-plastic folk..... Where I stay we have blue recycling bins which I use so what more can I do....what happens to what I put in them is not my responsibilty ....it would make an interesting TV programme to see the process after the bins are emptied...
  • Chrysalis
    I get the impression asda just want to save money and the wastage issue is a nice conveniant excuse.

This is a reply from them, after I suggested paper bags. Talk about clutching at straws. They have at least not ruled it out for the long term tho.

"We have made the decision for the time being not to use paper bags or starch bags instead of plastic ones for sustainability reasons. Starch or ‘compostable’ material doesn’t actually breakdown unless it is industrially processed and at the moment there are no UK facilities to deal with it. Paper bags, although made from a renewable source and are biodegradable, compostable and recyclable, require almost 4 x times more energy to manufacture and transport, use 20x times as much water than plastic bags, and you are not able to use them again."

The paper bags I have had can definitely be reused.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm amazed that people are still using bags with home deliveries, unless there's a disability that means they're needed. I honestly thought nobody would any more! It's just so wasteful and unnecessary for most.

I usually shop with Tesco and always select no bags. I occasionally shop with Asda, Morrison's or Ocado too. I think Ocado is the only one that doesn't give you an option for no bags but they do refund if you hand them back so I do that straight away.

I've never had a driver complain and they always offer to bring the boxes into the kitchen. I tell them just to dump the boxes inside the door, then I put everything into a couple of trugs which I then take through to the kitchen myself, but they would bring things through and unpack them onto the kitchen table if I asked so I don't think it's really a hardship for the customers and the drivers know it's their job. It only takes a minute - that's with an £80-100 shop for a family of four anyway.
  • deely
    deely Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    rach_k wrote: »
    I'm amazed that people are still using bags with home deliveries, unless there's a disability that means they're needed. I honestly thought nobody would any more! It's just so wasteful and unnecessary for most.

I usually shop with Tesco and always select no bags. I occasionally shop with Asda, Morrison's or Ocado too. I think Ocado is the only one that doesn't give you an option for no bags but they do refund if you hand them back so I do that straight away.

I've never had a driver complain and they always offer to bring the boxes into the kitchen. I tell them just to dump the boxes inside the door, then I put everything into a couple of trugs which I then take through to the kitchen myself, but they would bring things through and unpack them onto the kitchen table if I asked so I don't think it's really a hardship for the customers and the drivers know it's their job. It only takes a minute - that's with an £80-100 shop for a family of four anyway.

Iceland for sure make you have bags and there's a standard 25p fee no matter how many bags you actually receive, stopped using them now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure