PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tons of vegetables to use quickly!! Help please!

Comments

• dawnylou
    dawnylou Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Thank you everyone for all of your help :)

Am off out for a couple of hours - hopefully when I get back I will have the motivation to crack on with a whole lot of batch cooking!!! :)

Is it possible to make a vegetable curry, freeze it, then when I defrost it cook some turkey and stir it in??

I am defrosting some sausages and will pop them in slowcooker overnight with some veg, chopped toms etc.
    Also found a recipe to bake bread with cherry tomatoes in! That might be nice!

Will also hopefully get round to the vegetable bake - will that freeze ok?
    And some pasta sauces too :)

Thank you everyone :)
    Dream of being mortgage free....
    APR 2007 - £109,825 FEB 2012 - £98,664.53:beer:

• dawnylou wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for all of your help :)

Am off out for a couple of hours - hopefully when I get back I will have the motivation to crack on with a whole lot of batch cooking!!! :)

Is it possible to make a vegetable curry, freeze it, then when I defrost it cook some turkey and stir it in?? Yes ;)

I am defrosting some sausages and will pop them in slowcooker overnight with some veg, chopped toms etc.
    Also found a recipe to bake bread with cherry tomatoes in! That might be nice!

Will also hopefully get round to the vegetable bake - will that freeze ok?
    And some pasta sauces too :)

Thank you everyone :)

Good luck........
  • You can freeze most cooked veg in a sauce - when I make soup / stew / pasta sauce to freeze I often make it concentrated so it take up less space in the freezer - if you mark the top of the plastic box / bag that you need to add stock / water / tinned toms etc you wont forget when the time comes to serve it up.

Cheers again

Matt
    :Dmattogier
    Total Debt Including Mortgage:
    [strike]July 2006 - £179k[/strike] [strike]July 2007 - £159k[/strike] [strike]October 2007 - £154k[/strike] [strike]December 2007 -149k October 2008 - £126,525.40[/strike]
    December 2008 : £120,040.38
    Target: Debt Free before the 2012 Olympics :j
  • ive bought cherry toms, new spuds, peppers, other root veg when they are reduced in s'brys and frozen them on trays; chop em all up to even sizes, drizzle with a good glug of olive oil, season well (add garlic and or any other herbs you fancy) then put them onto small baking trays or on bottom of large sarnie box and freeze; you can then get them out and bake in oven as a mediterranean roast veg medley ... lush!
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • You could make a lovely stirfry with the carrots, peppers, cabbage, beans and baby corn.
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite

I rarely blanch anything (too much like hard work)

blanching is really easy and quick if you happen to have a pressure cooker!
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Having read all these lovely suggestions I'm tempted to take Dawnylou's list out to purchase just so as I can try some out - great ideas!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    YOu could get a bok out of the library called-Too many tomatoes- for when you have a glut of vegetables.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I use the steamer for blanching, cold water runs thru theholes nicely when 2-3 mins is up!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • If you take out the potatoes and tomatoes, you could make a cracking stir fry. You could either use a bottled sauce, or make one, eg sweet and sour (vinegar and maple syrup etc) or peanut-butter based sauce.) Theres a lot of veg. so you may need to invite round some friends or neighbours.
    Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport