MMD: Should Mrs Robinson leave all her cash to Simon or Garfunkel?

Options

Comments

• heleen
    heleen Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Equally.

Although part of me thinks Garfunkel should get more since Simon has been relying on family money for so long, one could argue that he's already used up part of his inheritance!
    I love it when a plan comes together :rotfl:
  • Rhino666
    Rhino666 Posts: 559 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately the only trouble free will is equality for siblings, whatever the personal circumstances. Seems a shame that money is a stronger driving force than emotions these days.

I had heard that if a sibling is treated unequally in his parents will he will automatically be awarded an equal share if the will is contested - perhaps someone can confirm this.
    PLEASE DO NOT STEAL
    The Government will not tolerate competition

Always judge a man by the way he treats someone who is of no use to him
  • arealhighlander
    Options
    Give it to neither - spend it all yourself before you snuff it! Take up one of those "buy your house before you die" schemes and spend all that as well.

YOU have spent your life earning the money, who should some relatives get it?? The same as I disagree with people who complain that they have to use their savings to pay for their care in their old age "but then I wont have anything to pass on to my Grandchildren".

Aww, tough.
  • haveiwon
    Options
    Avoid family feuds - do the only fair thing - spend it all before you die!:rotfl:
  • rc3675
    rc3675 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    If it was a gift, reward or assistance whilst alive then I'd happily consider differing amounts as part of the reason could then be to teach them something, however when it's all you wordly goods, it's not to cover a need, rather it's the final show of love you can give to your children, and hence it should be an even split.
  • Nicki24
    Nicki24 Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    The money should be split equally between both sons........however I also agree with one of the posts above in that Garfunkel has done well for himself and never asked for anything......where as Simon for whatever reason still relys on his mother to bail him out so he has already spent half of his inheritance. He needs to grow up sort himself out and also needs to realise that his mother wont always be around, nor will her money.

Ultimately I have to agree with another one of the posts above and say the best decision has to be that the mother spends the money now and enjoys it for herself whilst she is alive. We work hard all our lives.......why not enjoy the fruits of your labour whilst we are alive. Our children shouldnt rely on money being passed down to them.....if it comes then thats great but it shouldnt be expected. We all have to take responsibility for ourselves and make our own way in life. Personally I have told my parents to enjoy their money......retire, go on holidays, eat, drink and be merry, your a long time dead and scrimping and saving whilst you are alive only to leave it all to your kids when you are dead seems such a waste.....if there is any money left over after the mother has partied hard then thats a bonus for the kids. Personally I would take greater pleasure out of knowing my parents had the time of their lives than to find I had a big cheque waiting for me after they have passed away.

Im deviating from the subject at hand though......in all fairness should there be money left it should be split equally.
  • anney
    anney Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Equal split, I would also go further & have a disussion with both to tell them of the decision & make it clear that any further borrowings before they inherit would be counted as an advance on their inheritance, thus lowering their final sum.
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spend as much as possibl e enjoying herself, then leave whatever is left to the two equally. Why should one benefit more than the other?
  • esthomizzy
    Options
    It depends why Simon is bad with money, if for example he's an alcoholic or has a drug problem it would be stupid to give him more money so he can kill himself (I'm not saying that's the case, it's just there could be more information that we don't have). I'd say either split equally or spend a load and then the rest equally. If there is any sensible reason not to give any to Simon then I'd explain the situation to both of them and explain that neither of them was getting the money. If it's not cash tied up in a house, I'd probably hand a load of it over before I got too old as well so the 7 year gift thing would hopefully have time to apply.

Although Simon might squander the money, if she loves both of them she should treat them equally regardless of what they might subsequently do with the money. It's possible that Simon has a very worthy but low paying job anyway and that she hasn't resented bailing him out from time to time as she has been able to afford it.
    MFi3 member 105 - MFW date Oct 2023 - 12 years 9 months more
  • JoolsToo
    JoolsToo Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    She should leave it to neither.

She should go SKIING

Spend the lot!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing