Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Comments

• dnicu26
    dnicu26 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Date, flight number and routing please?
    It was on the 21st, the original flight was BA477.
  • Success! Just received communication from BA that I am entitled to compensation under EU rules for two tickets for delayed flights back in April with BMI. (European route codeshare with Swiss).
  • kazinsomerset
    kazinsomerset Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 28 January 2013 at 1:09PM
    Hi, I have been getting excellent advice from the various forums here, and I am delighted to report that I have just received an email from BA to say they will pay EU compensation of £1032 for a 24 hour delay two of us had on a BA flight from Male to Gatwick in May 2011 due to technical fault! I first wrote to BA on 9 November, followed up with emails and a phone call, followed by more emails, heard absolutely nothing until today! :j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • Hi, I wonder if anyone can help? I sent a letter (recorded delivery) to BA's customer relations which they received 9th November 2012 as I was delayed over 5 hours on a BMI flight Oct 10. Never heard a thing. Contacted BA via their website 31/12 and 16/01. Never heard a thing. Last week emailed CAA and almost instantly received a response from BA (coincidence??).

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can tell me if what they are saying is correct. Basically when they were putting the catering on board the aircraft, the catering truck hit the plane and created a hole in the side which is why we couldn't fly. I would assume that this is their responsibility? Their response is:

Your claim for compensation has been refused because flight xxx on xx October 2010 was delayed due to aircraft damage which was not caused by bmi. Under EU legislation, neither British Airways or bmi are liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

Unfortunately airline operations are subject to circumstances outside the airline's control. British Airways takes all reasonable measures to avoid delaying a flight in such circumstances. Consideration is given to whether there are any operational options available before a decision to delay is made. We are sorry that the delay was necessary in this case.

Is this correct or are they just trying to fob me off?

Any advice gratefully received!
  • topyam
    topyam Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    apuleius wrote: »
    Success! Just received communication from BA that I am entitled to compensation under EU rules for two tickets for delayed flights back in April with BMI. (European route codeshare with Swiss).

When did u make ur claim?
  • apuleius
    apuleius Posts: 95 Forumite
    24 October - but then chased a couple of times, and a nice helpful lady accelerated my claim in the new year, otherwise i think i would still be waiting! How long does it take for the payment to come through?
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    FAQ's

All blue words are links to relevant posts. Some are quoted just to save you doing that ;)

WARNING
    Claiming may not be a walk in the park. So research this (long) thread and the MSE article in order to discover useful information before you ask a question!

Airline bust= no claim

Anything from 17th Feb 2005 -you can claim but if the airline says no - you can't take them to court.

Flight Stats

Small claims time limit Its 6 years

Package holiday flights ARE covered.

Regulation261\2004

MSE article corrected

Technical fault with plane is NOT "extra ordinary circumstances" so you CAN claim
    Extraordinary circumstances + Extra ordinary Circumstances
    Technical issues
    More Technical issues with background

Thomas Cook address
    Thomas cook incident Oct 26 2012

KLM Claim form
    Ryanair address
    Ryanair Irish appeal explained - New!
    How to combat Ryanair using the English Court System New!
    BA Address
    BA complaint web-site

BA forum explaining the regulation in plain english *ESSENTIAL READING*

Jet airways address
    Compensation per person + Monarch email
    Monarch Claim form

Centipede100 Template letter
    CAA Template letter

Airline claims 2 years maximum to claim The UK time limit is 6 years, - that's the Law

Judgement on 22nd NOV confirms the limit is whatever applies in the Country-UK is 6 years
    CAA Denied boarding
    Right to Care
    CAA contact details
    European small claims

Original Sturgeon judgment giving rise to delay compensation:

Legal challenge to Sturgeon judgment:

MCOL : Link to the Court Forms
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    liviboy wrote: »
    First letter posted either 1st or 2nd November

Second letter (and first email/contact form) sent just over 14 working days later.

Follow up letter (LBA) sent recorded delivery and signed for on the 7th January.

Still heard nothing.

I wouldn't mind waiting if they had read my email or letter and asked for additional time to investigate, etc. it's the fact I've had nothing when people who flew AFTER my letter was sent have already been settled!

Patience is a virtue but I think this is testing me a bit!

Well, had a reply from my first letter citing "air traffic restrictions" despite the fact, at the time, we were told it was due to air raft cleaning team running late.

This was announced and not given out in writing as it was only a 20 minute or do delay initially...my claim referred to the fact I was delayed reaching my final destination and that BA refused to put me on an earlier flight up to Edinburgh, instead delaying me in heathrow for 5 hours....

I now await a reply from my 2nd letter before deciding how to proceed...

Any ideas about this first letter though...opinions greatly received.
  • I would like to ask a question on this, Myself, my husband and my mother all went on a flight to Boston USA after (checking it was 5 years ago) with British Airways. We boarded the plane via bus and we had to sit in the plane on the tarmac for over 3 hours before our plane took off because they were having problems clearing a couple of the passengers at the USA airport of arrival. We were not offered any compensation, drinks or food while waiting. Do we qualify for compensation?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    poppet17 wrote: »
    I would like to ask a question on this, Myself, my husband and my mother all went on a flight to Boston USA after (checking it was 5 years ago) with British Airways. We boarded the plane via bus and we had to sit in the plane on the tarmac for over 3 hours before our plane took off because they were having problems clearing a couple of the passengers at the USA airport of arrival. We were not offered any compensation, drinks or food while waiting. Do we qualify for compensation?

How late was your arrival time compared with your scheduled arrival time?
    Compensation would be due if this was over 3 hours and IF the delay was within BAs control. I am guessing that immigration is not their issue but I also expect that it may have made sense for them to offload the bags for the held passengers and go without them avoiding such a long delay.
    You will probably have to write to BA asking for a clear reason for the delay.
    If you spent money on food/drink whilst waiting then you should be able to claim reimbursement. If you did not as I am assuming you were sat on the plane then you may get an apology
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback