'Beware the ‘Over 50 Sun Life Axa Plan’... blog discussion

Comments

• MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Not necessarily - it could take your money and put it in more complex savings and investments to generate an income on it. So with the income on the money paid in - assuming its done right, you could afford to generate a payout beyond even the average life expectancy.

True, but that would involve Sun Life Axa bearing the investment risk themselves. Instead, the payouts well below average life expectancy would suggest that their investments of your premiums have to perform spectacularly badly before they turn an overall loss on the product. In effect, the policyholders underwrite a nice buffer against failed investments, possibly encouraging them to take bigger and bolder risks. At least the payouts themselves are 90% underwritten by FSCS.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2010 at 10:01PM
    and there was me looking forward to turning 50 next yr so I could take out a policy, collect the free sat nav to leave to my daughter along with the pay out to find the way to the funeral home...............me thinks I would be better off buying a funeral plan with the co-op to meet such expenses in advance, as she is gonna do fine out of my house and her dads house so not exactly gonna be hard up when she reachs middleage.

http://www.co-operative.coop/funeralcare/funeral-plans/pre-payment-plans/Set-Funeral-Plans/Pay-by-fixed-monthly-payments/

for me when I turn fifty next year the amount ranges from £20.59 to £24.50 pm for rest of life but the funeral would be paid for in full -and no messing around with the insurance company to arrange payment either or pay in full from 2700 to 3240 but guess it depends how long you live to see if pays good return but seems better deal than sun axa

I wonder if they offer this on any of the cashback sites .................! well may as well try and get some benefit for me whilst I am here to enjoy it
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 October 2010 at 9:53AM
    lemontart, there's no need to mess around with an insurance company to arrange payment. Present a death certificate and invoice for funeral costs from an undertaker to a major bank like NatWest that you have an non-joint account with and they will send to the funeral director a check for the costs, provided the account has sufficient money to pay them. No need for a will or appointed executor. Check with your bank and find out how they handle it. Takes less than a week for NatWest to take care of it.

£2700 is more than a simple funeral with cremation costs. You've little chance of dying before you're paid out more than the cost of this plan, since it takes only eleven years, ignoring inflation, to pay more than you get out (assuming £2700 and £20.59). At 3% inflation, in today's money that £2700 would be worth just £1950.

Best to enjoy the money while you're alive and just keep normal emergency funds around. Those will be sufficient to cover the funeral costs and your daughter will surely be happier for you to have been better off for the 38 or so years that half of today's fifty year old women can expect to live for.

Most people under-estimate how long they live. Even the press routinely gets it wrong, as the Times seems to have done here, by using life expectancy at birth instead of cohort life expectancy for those of the age being considered. Life expectancy at birth is many years less than the average age to which someone who has already survived childhood illnesses, teenaged accidents and early heart attacks can be expected to live. Women aged 49 today will on average live 39.6 more years, men 36.3 years.

For a man aged 65 today the expected number of years to live is 21.3, to age 86.3. For a woman it's 23.9 years to age 88.9.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    the co-op thing is a pre paid funeral plan with the funeral directors not an insurance company alot of funeral directors have these but have tie in with their federation so if the company goes under (no pun intended) your saving is protected they aslo offer a arrangement to pay in full over a period of time or one off payment which is probally the option I will take so I know that is covered. My mother has already done this. Like many others I live month to month with no savings as cannot really afford to save at moment but want to know this is dealt with having survived cancer 2x and now on 3rd lot it is a peace of mind thing.

when my father died a few years ago it was awful trying the get the money together for his send off and repatriation to Ireland and no way do I want that for my daughter.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • grey_lady
    grey_lady Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    Sadly I have an elderly relative who's been paying into this plan for many years, had he understood the implications of it paying less then there's no way he would have taken it out. How can they do this to vulnerable elderly people and be allowed to keep on doing it?
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As if a Multi Millionaire like MP needs the money, ditto June Whitfield.!
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    I don't think I could ever use companies like AXA or any other "life plan". You are basically giving your money away to these companies. Sticking £10 a month in to a savings account isn't hard work and come death, you'll have much more money than what these companies would pay out.

My grandmother has one of these stupid plans and pays £5 a month to them, she's in pretty good health and she'll no doubt pay in more than what will be paid out. I've told her countless times she'd be better off sticking the money in a savings account but it doesn't seem to be getting through to her. All the money that she has paid in is most likely sitting in the companies bank accounts or whatever, earning them interest so they can buy their lavish mansions, pay for celebrities to do their adverts and whatever else.

It's a total con.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • perhaps you are confusing an insurance prouct with an investment plan.
    If it is insurance, then it means you are paying for peace of mind.
    if you want to make a return on your savings , then as Martin suggested, go for investment advice.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Twenty years ago, my first full-time job was for a life assurance company, and I had to work on the section that administrated the claims on this type of policy - that's how long they've been around. I spent two years having to explain that the terms of the policy were made clear at the outset, that no health checks had been made, and that the policyholder knew what the payout would be. All of which were true, but that didn't make the policy seem any fairer. I hated it.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Comparing savings/pure investment with protection is not really a fair one.

If you say after x years you'd have the equivalent in savings to the guaranteed amount had you put the premiums into the bank rather than paying the insurance, you're completely ignoring the fact that you would have received more than you paid in had you died during those x years. That has/had a value and a cost i.e. probability of dying times shortfall at death (at monthly intervals, say). That 'cost' would have to be deducted from each £6, leaving less to 'put in the bank' and pushing the 'breakeven' point a lot further into the future.

You (and the majority) mightn't have died but some did and your monetary loss was effectively their monetary gain. Insurance is a pooling of experience (some take from the pot, some give to it and the insurer prices to hopefully make an overall profit by analysing likely mortality experience allowing for anti-selection, and admin/marketing expenses, supervisory reserving requirements etc)

It's like saying my house hasn't been burgled or burned down therefore all my house insurance premiums have been a waste of money (and I should have put them into the bank instead - I'd now have a good few grand + interest). You have of course 'lost' if the event didn't happen but as said above you got piece of mind for 'what if'. Meanwhile someone did claim for £10K having only paid a few hundred in total - you and many others subbed that, that's insurance!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback