Free Parking space search (merged)

Comments

• Joe_Rossi
    Joe_Rossi Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2009 at 2:37PM
    tobyg wrote: »
    Thanks Joe. Sadly this is not the case; I have live here for 10 years and parking was never an issue until 18 months ago a local major employer HSBC provided their employees with a list of roads where they can park for free. Now when I take my daughter to pre-school there are always cars literally queuing to take the space...and they all have work ID on and don't return until 5pm. My point is that sites like this one (above) will make matters even worse as our available parking is further advertised in the public domain.

Problem with asking for permit parking is 1) is costs residents money 2) we already give too much to our local council for little return and 3) if you have more that one visitor stay on that rare occasion like a party, then they cannot park either (usually get your own permit and one spare I believe). I also don't want to go through all that hassle and bureacracy just because a site like this has caused the problem.

Grrr.

But thanks for the reply though :o

I had this exact problem..my home is a fair distance from the tube, but there is a car dealer nearby and some council offices, who both told their staff to park in our road so as not to fill their own car parks!

As my road is a steep hill this created many problems with visibility, speeding cars and a couple of accidents.

The council have now made my road single yellows, so you can't park for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon, stopping people parking all day. Unfortunately, they only put lines up 3/4 of the road, so now everyone just parks at the top instead!

Luckily, I have a driveway..;)
  • Mandles
    Mandles Posts: 4,121 Forumite
    Joe_Rossi wrote: »
    I had this exact problem..my home is a fair distance from the tube, but there is a car dealer nearby and some council offices, who both told their staff to park in our road so as not to fill their own car parks!

As my road is a steep hill this created many problems with visibility, speeding cars and a couple of accidents.

The council have now made my road single yellows, so you can't park for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon, stopping people parking all day. Unfortunately, they only put lines up 3/4 of the road, so now everyone just parks at the top instead!

Luckily, I have a driveway..;)

Go buy a pot of yellow paint and extend the line! ...wonder if anyone has ever done that?
  • Bowling_4_Gold
    Bowling_4_Gold Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Lol I looked on the site and it said for the town centre you can park adjacent to a well-known hospital (I know for a FACT it has lines on the road) in a town-centre shopping centre car park! The hospital is about 3/4 mile out of the town centre and the shopping centre charges £1.80 an hour flat rate at its only town centre location. Very strange.
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • aloiseb
    aloiseb Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think there might be a law against that......

Luckily for me, our road is residents only, but only for a couple of hours a day to deter commueter parking for the city centre. In practice, there's always a space, thought we do have to pay for our own permits. I'm expecting them to go up a lot any time.....

I work for the local uni which is just about to start charging probably large amounts for its previously free car park.....so it will be interesting to see if more people come to take advantage of the free hours / risk the wrath of the traffic wardens (who are on bicycles so you don't get warning of them coming)

My neighbours did the campaigning several years ago - I knwo it must have been tough,because they always ask me very nicely not to park outside their house!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Great idea in theory, but if it catches on it'll quickly become useless as all the 'free' spaces fill up. Bad news if you live down one of the roads mentioned too.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is a mention in the MSE forums classed as a recommendation by MSE now, which is what they are now proudly displaying at the top of their site?
  • SwissToni_2
    SwissToni_2 Posts: 562 Forumite
    I never have a problem finding free parking, it's diagonally opposite Go. :p
  • BEWARE...

I`ve just checked the website and typed in some streets that i know and it correctly stated the `pay&display` parking times for the area but failed to mention that on Sat. afternoons and between 6-8 on weekday evenings it`s PERMIT HOLDERS ONLY due to fact it`s near a busy football ground (chelsea)

so, thats me still walking then :(
  • Magenta
    Magenta Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    To find FREE parking places anywhere in the UK, when on holiday etc you

can go to this website, put in where you want to go and it will show you

the nearest FREE parking spaces with a map of how to get there.

www.freeparkingspace.co.uk
    :smileyheaMagenta
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family