NS&I still worth it?

124»

Comments

• davidwatts
    davidwatts Posts: 354 Forumite
    Not the best option if the £50k is all or most of the money you have to save or invest; perhaps more attractive if it's part of a £1M personal portfolio that you have to manage! Assuming it's somewhere in the middle, you (literally) pays your money and takes your chances.

I'm not a higher rate tax payer but I deem having PBs worth it.
  • inflationbuster
    inflationbuster Posts: 250 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 April 2019 at 11:45PM
    Topaz99 wrote: »
    I did have some Premium Bonds years ago and withdrew as it wasn't much, but now I could afford to invest the full £50k limit (if it was worth it?)

Are they still an attractive proposition? and if so, do you have easy quick access if you need to withdraw?

For the 18-19 financial year l had the full £50K premium bonds invested return was £950 1.9% tax free. Approximately £79.16 a month average return. I'm a 40% tax payer so felt it was worth it and have quick access to the cash if needed. I post my returns/performance monthly on the premium bonds thread. I get far better returns in the stock market but this is one of a number of rainy day pots.
  • Brilley
    Brilley Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So in short, worth it or not? LOL

Yes, No, Maybe.....as per all the above good advice, it depends on your circumstances.....
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I won a nice 3 digit sum this month. :)
    And I don't have that much invested.

So I may as well withdraw the money now!
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,581 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So in short, worth it or not? LOL

If you can get 1.5% instant access elsewhere why bother unless you're a gambler that doesn't want to lose any of their stake. If you're prepared to risk some capital for a better return then I'd use investments instead.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jimjames wrote: »
    If you can get 1.5% instant access elsewhere why bother unless you're a gambler that doesn't want to lose any of their stake. If you're prepared to risk some capital for a better return then I'd use investments instead.

Tax, Jim, Tax.
  • webjaved
    webjaved Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It would depend on your own circumstances on whether NS&I are worth it or not.
    Save £12k in 2019 #154 - £14,826.60/£12k
    Save £12k in 2020 #128 - £4,155.62/£10k
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 15 April 2019 at 3:55PM
    jimjames wrote: »

In my own case, if I get instant access elsewhere at 1.5% as you suggest and then pay 40 or 45% or 60% marginal rate of tax on it, the 1.5% would translate to only 0.9% or 0.825% or 0.6% after I had paid the income tax due.

Whereas with PBs I can reasonably hope to win a couple of prizes a month on a little under £50k, and - with each of those prizes being worth £25 or more - the anticipated tax free rate of return of c. 1.2% is literally a third more net income than would be obtained from a (e.g.) 1.5% Marcus account after 40% tax and is potentially double what would be obtained from a Marcus account net of certain high marginal rates of tax.

As it happens I have a large tax bill to pay next year and so medium risk investments would be inappropriate for such a timescale; and yes I already have a couple of decent current accounts and regular savers for normal day to day savings, before you start down that road. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure