Moved into new house. ordered SSE pay as you go meter..

Mxpro
Mxpro Posts: 12 Forumite
Just moved into a rental house, it has a quarterly gas payment plan i asked for it to be changed to a pay as you go meter, the payment card came this week and gasman will be converting it to pay as you go this month.

just some queries i would like answered..
will it be on a smart meter? or do i first need to get the pay as you go meter installed then apply for a smart meter to be installed?
is it free?
is smart meter better than the old paying by card in the shop?
i think thats all the info i need to know.. if anything else thats useful to know about pay as you go gas let me know!
cheers:beer::beer:

Comments

• alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    I assume you have asked the existing supplier to instal the pay as you go meter?
    When you move into a property you are in a 'deemed' contract with the supplier used by the previous tenant.
    If SSE isn't the existing supplier you should sign up with the existing supplier before you can switch to SSE !
  • Mxpro
    edited 13 April 2019 at 2:13PM
    No havent asked landlord about going pay as you go.. he just asked to change the name of the gas over to ours, nothing else.

SSE was the supplier of the house so we are staying with the same company.

any answer on the smart meter question??
  • alfie1950
    Can't answer you question specifically but I'm with SSE and they are constantly requesting that I change to smart meter.
  • Mxpro
    alfie1950 wrote: »
    Can't answer you question specifically but I'm with SSE and they are constantly requesting that I change to smart meter.

okay thanks for response, any reason why you dont want a smart meter?
  • alfie1950
    I'm not totally against a smart meter but SSE and ScottishPower before them couldn't/wouldn't fit in with my limited choice of access chances.
    I'm never in 6am-6pm on weekdays and don't want to limit my leisure options on a weekend so gave them both the option of between 10-11 am on a Saturday morning which they both declined.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It will most likely be a smart PAYG meter - make sure that they don't load any debt, if any, left by the previous occupiers on to the meter or any topup you make a deduction would be made to go towards any debt.

Just make sure any debt on the meter is yours and not someone else's.
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    Mxpro wrote: »
    Just moved into a rental house, it has a quarterly gas payment plan i asked for it to be changed to a pay as you go meter, the payment card came this week and gasman will be converting it to pay as you go this month.

just some queries i would like answered..
    will it be on a smart meter? or do i first need to get the pay as you go meter installed then apply for a smart meter to be installed?
    is it free?
    is smart meter better than the old paying by card in the shop?
    i think thats all the info i need to know.. if anything else thats useful to know about pay as you go gas let me know!
    cheers:beer::beer:

will it be on a smart meter? - probably not unless you requested one. And as you have not asked for the matching electric one, then definitely not.

is it free? - yes from any Big 6 supplier, but see below
    ... and you will not have access to the lowest price gas tariffs that are available exclusively to credit metered customers
    Mxpro wrote: »
    No havent asked landlord about going pay as you go.. he just asked to change the name of the gas over to ours, nothing else.

SSE was the supplier of the house so we are staying with the same company.

any answer on the smart meter question??

There may be a charge to revert to a credit meter at the end of your tenancy, and if you don't arrange it, the landlord can and pass the cost onto you.
  • Mxpro
    Thanks for all the helpful replies, will get back to you all when its all complete. cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure