Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    New cat? You appear to have a dud. :)
    i have 3 duds! :rotfl:
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Update: we got home from work, the cats were sniffing around a bit in the corner by the sofa so we built a corral and pulled out the sofa.... to reveal a very frightened shrew. Were able to pick him up, put him in the handy bucket and released him way up behind the house in some trees.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • 20400keith
    20400keith Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a rat problem. I'm not bothered about them outside but this week they've started coming through the cat flap.

Quote from Rentokil - £462

Quote from my Council - £41 and they contract the work to Rentokil.
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    I had to pull a few skirting boards up from the kitchen and when moving the washing machine out of the way, noticed that there were a fair few mouse droppings. I don't know how old they are, but immediately hoovered them all up and cleaned around the general area. I read somewhere to put down talc powder along the walls and that way if there's footprints the next morning, then you still have a mouse.

So this morning I've no footprints/mouse, but I want to be sure.
    Id like to put everything back to the way it was, without the uncertainty that a wee mouse is still hiding behind there somewhere. I looked around B&Q for some sort of spray, but nothing seemed to be targeted for the job.
    Can I spray bleach etc to fend them off? Its the area under the sink, if that makes a difference.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can see gaps such as where pipes enter the house, you can stuff them with wire wool to stop the critters coming back.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Put a mouse trap with some chocolate on it,they love this,a bit of Mars bar caught loads for me in my old shed,if you catch one keep re-baiting the trap till you catch no more then put the skirting board back.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Put a mouse trap with some chocolate on it,they love this,a bit of Mars bar caught loads for me in my old shed,if you catch one keep re-baiting the trap till you catch no more then put the skirting board back.

This is the bit that scares me. What do I do with him if I catch one?
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you have a humane trap take the mouse a long way from your house (a mile should do) then release. If you have the leathal traps throw the mouse in the rubbish (outside bin).
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Peanut butter is usually an excellent bait. According to several sources, catching a mouse humanely and releasing it far away is as good as a death sentence; I prefer to give them a chance.

if you use a humane trap, be sure to check it a couple of times a day, otherwise it's not so humane.
  • naf123
    naf123 Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    daivid wrote: »
    If you have a humane trap take the mouse a long way from your house (a mile should do) then release. If you have the leathal traps throw the mouse in the rubbish (outside bin).

do you throw away the trap with the mouse/rat? I am so squeamish about mice/rats I cannot bear the thought of handling a dead rat!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback