Martin Lewis: To those who sent me messages...

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You aren't "just the bloke who saves people money" though.

You have a heart and showed it - and of course you got a lot of feedback. That interview will be part of your obituary because we saw a few minutes of the real human, not just the journalist.

Of course you're still in shock a bit, but don't step too far away from yourself & everyone who was impelled to reach out. It'll blow over, and calm down a bit but you will always have a few folk who want to meet you & just hug you, not cheer "You saved me thousands". Though I think the groups may well overlap.

I think the children who need Grief Encounter will grow up a lot less brittle, thanks to your honesty. I hope it becomes PSHE & teacher training staple fodder, so future bereaved children are *much* better supported.

You've said you do not want political office (& fair enough) but you may need to keep saying "this is hard to talk about" for several more years. It isn't going to go away, but I hope you can go forward supported by all the social media stuff rather than buffeted.

There isn't an icon that combines a hug & a handshake.
  • This interview made me recall my own mothers story. She was 8yrs old in 1930 when her mother passed away. On returning to school after the funeral the nun stood her in front of the class and told them about her loss but told her there would be no crying in school. Only a small wall separated the school playground and her mothers grave. Sadly I believe this lack of empathy to a small child shaped how she dealt with life, scared to show emotion to even her own children. Only when she got dementia in later life did she ask for cuddles. Well done for highlighting this cause.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    You aren't "just the bloke who saves people money" though.

You have a heart and showed it - and of course you got a lot of feedback. That interview will be part of your obituary because we saw a few minutes of the real human, not just the journalist.

Of course you're still in shock a bit, but don't step too far away from yourself & everyone who was impelled to reach out. It'll blow over, and calm down a bit but you will always have a few folk who want to meet you & just hug you, not cheer "You saved me thousands". Though I think the groups may well overlap.

I think the children who need Grief Encounter will grow up a lot less brittle, thanks to your honesty. I hope it becomes PSHE & teacher training staple fodder, so future bereaved children are *much* better supported.

You've said you do not want political office (& fair enough) but you may need to keep saying "this is hard to talk about" for several more years. It isn't going to go away, but I hope you can go forward supported by all the social media stuff rather than buffeted.

There isn't an icon that combines a hug & a handshake.

What a lovely sentiment. Thank you and to everyone else who has posted on this thread and in the comments in the blog too.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport