PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How MSE is your chilli plant?

Options
Now I've finally got the [STRIKE]year-round greenhouse[/STRIKE] south facing conservatory I've always longed for, I can go all tropical with my plant collection :dance:

First on the list is a red chilli plant from Lidl, which was bought the other day for £4.99 (let's say £5). I eat it rarely, it's great on veggie pizza and I have been known to freeze and then slice them down the middle when it's G&T time :D but most will be passed straight onto others for their enjoyment. I thought it would be interesting to keep a tally of how cost-effective this plant is, by dividing the cost in pence by the yield.

Thus far, 20 ripe red chillies have been picked, at a cost of (500p/20) 25p each. I expect the price per chilli to go down as more pop up, I can see another 8 ripening on the plant nicely so it's something I can easily keep a track of.

Just a bit of fun! Tbf I probably wouldn't do this with higher-yielding plants such as tomatoes and berries [STRIKE]where the yield goes straight from plant to mouth without passing Go[/STRIKE].
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• penny-wise
    penny-wise Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations on your conservatory!

What variety of chilli is it? Chillies grown alone, inside are unlikely to cross pollinate & should be true from seed. You could save seeds to plant next year and technically have infinite chillies :beer:.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Most people grow chillies as an annual but you can keep them going for years, even continuing to produce chillies through the winter, as long as you keep them warm
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's dying already :cry:

Not down to a lack of water, purely because the environment was just too hot for it :o

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got chilli seed pods - so far nothing exciting is happening but we shall see!
    Living the simple life
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    It's dying already :cry:

Not down to a lack of water, purely because the environment was just too hot for it :o

They're pretty good with heat but a shut-up conservatory can reach ridiculous temperatures.

They seem happy at 20-30 degrees C
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just thought I'd offer an update. The chilli plant has been outside in the sunshine and is watered every day, so is growing and looking v healthy. What it's not doing is giving me any fruit. Am guessing the solution would be to bring another chilli plant into its vicinity to encourage a bit of pollination?

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Chillis are self pollinating so they have both the male and female parts within one flower. They have to be able to touch though so what I do is just give any flowering greenery a bit of a shake to loosen.

As your plant has been under stress (too hot) then it's likely the stress has halted flowering.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got a free chilli plant a few years ago. I had hundreds of chillis from it and it was really wasted on me as I can't eat spicy or hot food so I dried them all. Laid them out in the conservatory and they dried in the heat. Then I filled a glass vase and put them on my kitchen windowsill and they looked very decorative. Along came daughter in law number 2 and off they went home with her.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We LOVE chillies ! I grow 'Ring of Fire' in the greenhouse, and 4 plants will see us through until next year's plants start cropping (they freeze really well).

A packet of bought hot chillies costs about the same as a packet of seeds - so even after factoring in the cost of compost, etc, the money saved must be quite considerable !
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Just thought I'd offer an update. The chilli plant has been outside in the sunshine and is watered every day, so is growing and looking v healthy. What it's not doing is giving me any fruit. Am guessing the solution would be to bring another chilli plant into its vicinity to encourage a bit of pollination?

As fuddle says, just give the flowers a gentle shake to pollinate. Are you feeding your plant? Tomato food will be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure