PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making savings before it's too late

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fast walking Ilona, I don`t walk fast any more, cycling is much better for my knees hips and ankles. I used to do a lot of walking, fell walking, started when doing mountain leadership, very many moons ago but nowadays I get good exercise and fresh air from cycling. I went out today, just 6 miles but muddy lanes, reeds and rushes on the sides, two swans and one car and one tractor. Birdsong and no other sounds and that is why I prefer to be here rather than go on holiday. I was useless in the heat of malaysia and the heat of maltese ancient ruins. Tbh I far far prefer the temperate climate here and local cycling is free, keeps me in touch with nature and my circadian rhythmn
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2018 at 4:48PM
    Options
    Kittie, I'm not inclined to bother that much about holidays per se any longer.

I've had very few ever - courtesy of the "dreaded single supplement" and low income to pay for them anyway and so I usually couldnt afford them.

Now I've given up flying anyway a few years back and it would be all the more difficult to have any.

Add that I'm doing my best to make my house as comfortable as I can manage for myself - so I've got a nice comfortable 5' wide bed/plenty of bedding. I eat healthily and it has to be vegetarian or vegan. Even vegetarian food isnt nearly as easy to get as "mainstream" food. Plus where I am has to be warm and I can guarantee my house will be.

I would like to see a lot more places yet - but, with the way I personally think (and I know many wouldnt think that way:rotfl:) then I tend to think "Well I'm in my 60s - so I think I'll maybe just leave further travelling until after I'm dead actually. Then I'll explore/explore/explore big-time". When you have the way of thinking I do - then...yes...you can and probably do make really long-term plans for what you fancy doing.:rotfl:

Looking at things the way I personally do - then why would I want to leave surroundings I've made as comfortable as I can and an area that isnt overpopulated to have holidays in areas with lots of other tourists there too and I'd probably go onto a beach and start counting bits of plastic rubbish that might well be there and going into the sea and maybe finding that's full of human "gunk" too. If I wait till then - I get perfect beaches/perfect seas/perfect amount of "company" etc etc - so why would I do it now?
  • blackcatsx2
    Options
    I have family in Spain so that’s where I go for ho,udays. It’s a very familiar location for me, I know the routine associated with airports, I know the hotels I like so it feels like a comfortable place to be to relax, catch up with family and enjoy some sunshine which is a real bonus. There are lots of places in the UK that I want to visit. Visited some lovely places here last year and hope to see more this year.
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I live in a place considered to be a holiday destination. I joke that I moved here so I never need to go on holiday again, I find holidays quite stressful, had a couple of dodgy experiences in my yoof, I loathe and destest camping, and I love my own bed. My idea of bliss is time off at home, so I am with my dogs, and can spend my time pottering around the house,
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Doh, I had some under bra chafing yesterday, wires!! I have ordered two cotton non-underwired bras today. If I wasn`t so boobylicious then I would go without indoors, depending on what I am wearing on top. That is another sum of money to put on my list, for paying off next month. I could feel the restriction while I was knitting last night and the wires against my ribs, uncomfortable

My weather station says -2 and the patio is shiny so I expect lanes and paths are dodgy at the moment. I will have another session outside about 12pm, cycling and breathing in fresh air, makes me feel good as well as knowing that it is helping me to lose weight and is keeping my heart in good condition. My anenoneter is absolutely still so there must be some awful fog around
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    We've got the rain back today, spent the last two days in a t-shirt at work chilly start but soon warmed up, so the house now looking like a laundry once again, not sure if I'm doing more washing than normal or it's just because I'm not getting it out on the line as often due to heavy rain.
    Found out how expensive asda now is did manage a few good buys for us, I've never been able to make a tomato soup that hubby really likes he prefers Heinz that he can't have very often due to the sugar 50p a tin see him 12 for the year, we mainly eat just veg due to DH diabetes
    With some coffee, flour and a cereal for the lad I managed to spend £13 of my £50, I don't spend much in the supermarket as the norn anymore but struggled with the volume of choice, I guess I've been shopping in the cheaper supermarkets for so long I've gotten used to limited lines of products.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    It is a shock when you go back to a 'normal' supermarket, isn't it tori.k? I do all my shopping at Aldi now - it only opened here a couple of years ago, but it's within walking distance (only take the car for the big weekly shop), and saves me having to drive the 20 minutes + to the nearest Asda and Sainsbugs. But there are a few things I can't get there, so I end up at Asda (for the 1% cashback and the cheap fuel) and I wander around thinking 'how much??'

Having said that, one of the things I can't get at Aldi is Actimel, which OH takes for an iffy tummy at the suggestion of his GP. It's just been rolled back to £2 for 12. I also bought a half-price 2018 diary (another £2, reduced from £4). So that's OK.

There's very little at Aldi that I don't like (I tried their washing powder one time but went back to Persil), but ours is quite small so there are some things that they just don't sell at all. But we're getting a new Lidl sometime in the next year or so, and it looks set to be bigger than our Aldi, so that'll help - and it'll be within walking distance too!!

In fact, thinking about it, when we first moved into this house, the town had a small and uninspiring Co-op, and nothing else. Everyone went to the next town, where there's a large Asda, Sainsbugs and Morrisons. Since then, we've now got a Sainsbury's local, an M&S Food, an Aldi, and a Lidl on it's way. It's made the town centre a much busier, livelier place, with a consequent knock-on effect on the other local businesses.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

In fact, thinking about it, when we first moved into this house, the town had a small and uninspiring Co-op, and nothing else. Everyone went to the next town, where there's a large Asda, Sainsbugs and Morrisons. Since then, we've now got a Sainsbury's local, an M&S Food, an Aldi, and a Lidl on it's way. It's made the town centre a much busier, livelier place, with a consequent knock-on effect on the other local businesses.

It's a bit the other way here, I only have local Mr T and Aldi, we lost our Co-op about 18 months ago, and we got B&M which seems to have made town even deader :(
    have found out that Asda delivers here now too, which has helped the choice a bit.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I live in the middle of nowhere and am so glad that asda and sainsbugs deliver to me. For £3 they do it all and bring it, it woul cost us that in diesel to get there and back, nevermind the hassle of doing the shop itself.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

If it weren't for Tesco , our town would have died completely a few years back, the recession hit badly here

We have a lidl as well, and three heaving Spars. Just before Christmas Home Bargains opened and that too is really helping the town. Before you had to travel 20 miles to a larger town for choice

I shop in lidl, just using tesco for some items, Persil,cat food and flora proactive for example. Luckily our Tesco isn't huge so not too much choice

Last time I went to Asda, I just panicked, left my trolley and left the store :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure