Housing help

Options
I'm looking to move in with my grandfather who is in a council house being paid by housing benefits. I am working full time and willing to pay the rent and tax. Will there be any issue with me doing this, will he still keep his pension?. He's getting old now so I wanna be there to help him while I'm single. Also would it cause a d issues if I left in a few years? Would he ba able to keep the home and 're apply for housing benefits? Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes he will keep his pension no I see no issues down the line and if you leave he should be able to reclaim HB.
    Does he have care needs? and if so has he considered applying for Attendance Allowance?
    https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance
  • Aaronlm
    Options
    Thanks venison. No care needs just starting to struggle to get up the stairs and basic household chores so I just wanna be there to help out. I didn't think there would be an issue but he was worrying he'd lose his pension. I've only really decided to do it today, do u know if there is any delay in joining the tenancy or is it straight forward. My current tenancy runs out next month so I'd like to just move in asap. We are in Wales or sure if there's any different rules here to England.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You wouldn't want to become a joint tenant, not if you're planning on moving out in a couple of years. You would just live there as family. Your grandfather would need to tell the Housing Benefit department of the change in circumstances so his HB would be reviewed.

Does he actually want you living there?
  • Aaronlm
    Aaronlm Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Yes he does want me there. How do I chose to live there as family and not a joint tenant, and why shouldn't I do it as a joint tenant? I don't know for certain I'm going to leave but if i met a girl and settles down it may happen.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Aaronlm wrote: »
    Yes he does want me there. How do I chose to live there as family and not a joint tenant, and why shouldn't I do it as a joint tenant? I don't know for certain I'm going to leave but if i met a girl and settles down it may happen.

You just move in. No need to be put on the tenancy. If you choose to pay the rent that doesn’t require you to be on the tenancy.
  • Aaronlm
    Aaronlm Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Ok thanks. Can u explain why I wouldn't want to be on the tenancy please? Just curious. I really don't know what I want to do in the future. If I wasn't on the tenancy would it mean I'd have to leave of he died.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Aaronlm wrote: »
    Ok thanks. Can u explain why I wouldn't want to be on the tenancy please? Just curious. I really don't know what I want to do in the future. If I wasn't on the tenancy would it mean I'd have to leave of he died.

Not necessarily, the tenancy could transfer to you should he die and you are living there.
    I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t go on it now but the housing may not just add you anyway. It’s their decision and not already living there may be a problem for them.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your grandfather would need to talk to the council if he wants to add you to the tenancy. They then make a decision as to whether to do so.

In your circumstances it seems sensible not to be added to the joint tenancy as you may wish to leave in the future and have no need of social housing.
    Also even if you were able to get added to the tenancy and your grandfather died then you would be over occupying (I am presuming there are at least 2 bedrooms) and the council would probably not allow you to remain.

As already said if you move in you must notify the council about the change of circumstances and your grandfather will have a non dependent deduction made to his HB.

See this link:https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/housing_benefit_deductions_when_living_with_non-dependants

You can put your grandfather's details into the benefit calculator on https://www.turn2us.org.uk to find out what he will continue to receive.

If his CT is being paid for him as well as HB then check he isn't getting a top up to his state pension with Pension Credit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure