Price wrongly

Comments

• Supermarkets are renowned for doing this; deliberately placing a similar item to the one which is on offer on the shelf, and relying on customers to not notice or just suck up the price difference. It's often the same name of product, but a different size to the offer one.

Usually there is a space on the shelf where the actual item should be. They aren't technically doing anything wrong. Morally, however....

Clearly I have been caught by this myself. But only once. I now look at EVERY detail of the "offer" and the product which appears to be nearby to be sure they are one and the same.
    Don't be silly
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Sainsbury’s have been doing this sort of thing for YEARS. I’m told they also like putting yellow stickers on the front of the item but NOT over the barcode. Wonder how many people have paid full price for a YS item!

Well at my Sainsburys they do put the secondary barcode over the real barcode.

But I go have the problem you mentioned at a local Tesco Express. If I pickup more than about 5 YS I always go to a manned till and not bother with the self service.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Don't ever try to buy cheap(ish) toilet rolls from Tesco. It may show a really reduced price on mysuopermarket but they don't even have a space where the stock would have been, even if they did last week before the price was reduced.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If it was a one off, nothing is wrong with it.

However if they do it as a standard practice then it would likely amount to a misleading practice as being likely to deceive your average customer. I don't believe most people do check the details, but I would say it would be a pretty perfect customer to check the price, price per volume/weight and also that the name corresponds exactly to the item on the shelf (particularly when some supermarket abbreviate the names).

As for not thinking shops would deliberately do this....the entire layout of the store, the placement of its offers etc are designed to get you to buy as much as possible. They need to provide the price per volume/weight because they've previously been found to use misleading advertising particularly with regard to special offers. The reason we have laws about trading practices/advertising etc is not because retailers were being honest & upfront.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • I think it can be very confusing when the items themselves don't have a price marked on them - just a barcode. In several of our local supermarkets it can be very difficult to tell which prices apply to particular items of produce if the price tickets are not perfectly aligned with the products - especially if other shoppers have moved items around or they weren't stacked properly in the first place.
  • If you really want to be sure, the shelf edge label has the barcode of the product printed on it (certainly in Tesco, it does). It's written under the barcode on the label. Just check if the last 4 digits on the product match the last 4 digits on the label. If they don't, you've got the wrong product.
  • Choose a supermarket where you can self-scan. That way you are able to verify the price of every single item as you do your shop, rather than relying upon your memory at checkout.
  • 4suzie
    4suzie Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I totally agree with you CardinalWolsey it's a shame there are not many self-scan shops near me only Tesco.
  • I was recently hacked off due to a local Morrisons store displaying incorrect prices on the shelf labels so I complained on line here -

https://my.morrisons.com/help/?clkInTab=ContactUs&utm_source=Groceries&utm_medium=Internal&utm_campaign=HeaderTab

I received a phone call later from a very polite gentleman who told me that he been on touch with the store manager who had corrected the label.
    He also credited my reward card with £5 worth of points.

However, a week later the shelf labels were still incorrect!
    "It's nice to be important but more important to be nice"

John Templeton 1912-2008
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I was recently hacked off due to a local Morrisons store displaying incorrect prices on the shelf labels so I complained on line here -

https://my.morrisons.com/help/?clkInTab=ContactUs&utm_source=Groceries&utm_medium=Internal&utm_campaign=HeaderTab

I received a phone call later from a very polite gentleman who told me that he been on touch with the store manager who had corrected the label.
    He also credited my reward card with £5 worth of points.

However, a week later the shelf labels were still incorrect!

That seems to be the problem with complaints departments. They have people who are trained to be understanding and sympathetic and can offer a small reward. But the don't seem to be able to actually solve the issues and get to the root cause. But unfortunetly most people seem happy with this kind of approach.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure