unpaid case - ebay

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Clearly this person had plenty enough time to open a case practically to the second it can be done.

Like I said I will admit to being in a mood today (lack of sleep) I would probably not let it annoy so much another day, I am sure I will feel different tomorrow.

I haven't paid yet but I will do, I always do, normally straight away once I realise I have won.

Well, if it was to the second, it was most likely the automated assistant.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Well, if it was to the second, it was most likely the automated assistant.

That was an exaggeration. Auction ended late in the night around 11.30 case was opened 10.00 in the morning.

I suppose they must have had trouble with late payments in the past, I can understand that but its a pet hate of mine when people treat everyone the same. I am annoyed with myself a bit as well I have never had a payment case opened on me before, I always pay before now and the one time you slip up you get penalised for it.
  • iammumtoone
    soolin wrote: »
    I have to admit that as a seller I don't really even think about it. You say yourself that you had a reminder, plus you would have notification when you won I don't see why I need to send anything else before I open an INR.

But I didn't see any of that until today, when I looked I saw everything at once.

Is it standard to send INR after two days with private sellers? maybe it is, it just seems a very short time frame to me, what if someone is ill.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That was an exaggeration. Auction ended late in the night around 11.30 case was opened 10.00 in the morning.

I suppose they must have had trouble with late payments in the past, I can understand that but its a pet hate of mine when people treat everyone the same. I am annoyed with myself a bit as well I have never had a payment case opened on me before, I always pay before now and the one time you slip up you get penalised for it.

The seller has no way of knowing what sort of buyer you are though, how does he/she know if you usually pay on time or not? All the seller sees is a buyer who ignores both the original contact plus the reminder. So as far as any seller is concerned you are the same as all the others that don't respond to a reminder.

Incidentally you have not been penalised at all, you pay and the matter is closed , the opening of a case does not impact you at all.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    But I didn't see any of that until today, when I looked I saw everything at once.

Is it standard to send INR after two days with private sellers? maybe it is, it just seems a very short time frame to me, what if someone is ill.

Two days is what eBay have the system set to allow, so yes it is fairly common. Anyone who has been selling on eBay for a while has probably spent more than enough time chasing non payers , how long would you consider reasonable if a buyer has made absolutely no contact?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • iammumtoone
    The seller has no way of knowing what sort of buyer you are though, how does he/she know if you usually pay on time or not? All the seller sees is a buyer who ignores both the original contact plus the reminder. So as far as any seller is concerned you are the same as all the others that don't respond to a reminder.

Incidentally you have not been penalised at all, you pay and the matter is closed , the opening of a case does not impact you at all.

But I didn't ignore the messages I didn't see them until I logged in and saw all three at once. I didn't realise that about the case, thanks

I take your point the seller has no way of knowing that I would pay.
    Two days is what eBay have the system set to allow, so yes it is fairly common. Anyone who has been selling on eBay for a while has probably spent more than enough time chasing non payers , how long would you consider reasonable if a buyer has made absolutely no contact?

I would consider 3 - 4 days reasonable I could have been away for the weekend and only just returned. I bid on the Friday, I didn't even know I had won until today, must admit I was surprised thought it would go for more than what I bid.

I am not so bothered about it now I know I wont be penalised, I thought it was once the case was opened you got a black mark and then a further black mark if you didn't pay.
  • soolin
    But I didn't ignore the messages I didn't see them until I logged in and saw all three at once. I didn't realise that about the case, thanks

I take your point the seller has no way of knowing that I would pay.

I would consider 3 - 4 days reasonable I could have been away for the weekend and only just returned. I bid on the Friday, I didn't even know I had won until today, must admit I was surprised thought it would go for more than what I bid.

I am not so bothered about it now I know I wont be penalised, I thought it was once the case was opened you got a black mark and then a further black mark if you didn't pay.
    You are not penalised at all for having a case opened, as long as you pay before it is closed.

The only possible issues you might have is firstly being blocked by the seller, most sellers do this automatically for non payers. Secondly, and I dont suspect for one moment this will apply to you, if you leave poor feedback there is a good chance that if the seller can persuade eBay it was left out of spite in retaliation for the case being opened then you may get a warning on your account.
  • iammumtoone
    You are not penalised at all for having a case opened, as long as you pay before it is closed.

The only possible issues you might have is firstly being blocked by the seller, most sellers do this automatically for non payers. Secondly, and I dont suspect for one moment this will apply to you, if you leave poor feedback there is a good chance that if the seller can persuade eBay it was left out of spite in retaliation for the case being opened then you may get a warning on your account.

No I will leave honest feedback, I might have been annoyed (Im not now I know I wont get a back mark) but I am not a vindictive person, at the end of the day I didn't check quick enough to see if I had won.

I think it said I had until Saturday to pay, in fairness that is plenty of time to notice/check you have won and pay before a non payment mark is given.
  • soolin
    edited 11 October 2017 at 9:29AM
    No I will leave honest feedback, I might have been annoyed (Im not now I know I wont get a back mark) but I am not a vindictive person, at the end of the day I didn't check quick enough to see if I had won.

I think it said I had until Saturday to pay, in fairness that is plenty of time to notice/check you have won and pay before a non payment mark is given.

Technically you have 6 days to pay before you can be given a strike, so your time limit would have expired on this Friday night if seller had chosen to set the INR mechanism rolling as soon as possible. That's 2 days before an INR can be opened plus a further 4 days for it to be closed.

The other thing to consider is that the seller may have a time frame to post, I sell on a private account using auction style and would sell up to approx. 7 days before I go on holiday as that leaves me enough time to get an INR open and closed if necessary. If I am unlucky enough to get a tardy payer pre holiday then I also might open a n INR on day 3, purely so I don't have to go on holiday worrying about whether someone pays and how I can get their item sent.

Speaking as a seller I find people either pay within about 2-3 days of purchase and those that take longer often don't pay at all, so I need them weeded out so I can relist and move on.

Lastly bearing in mind there is a possible RM strike next week the seller is probably anxious to get your item posted ASAP so it can be in the system and delivered before any strike action. Many sellers have experienced buyers who pay late and then suddenly find messages insisting on speedy postage and delivery as the item is urgent.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Technically you have 6 days to pay before you can be given a strike, so your time limit would have expired on this Friday night if seller had chosen to set the INR mechanism rolling as soon as possible. That's 2 days before an INR can be opened plus a further 4 days for it to be closed.

The other thing to consider is that the seller may have a time frame to post, I sell on a private account using auction style and would sell up to approx. 7 days before I go on holiday as that leaves me enough time to get an INR open and closed if necessary. If I am unlucky enough to get a tardy payer pre holiday then I also might open a n INR on day 3, purely so I don't have to go on holiday worrying about whether someone pays and how I can get their item sent.

Speaking as a seller I find people either pay within about 2-3 days of purchase and those that take longer often don't pay at all, so I need them weeded out so I can relist and move on.

Lastly bearing in mind there is a possible RM strike next week the seller is probably anxious to get your item posted ASAP so it can be in the system and delivered before any strike action. Many sellers have experienced buyers who pay late and then suddenly find messages insisting on speedy postage and delivery as the item is urgent.

All very good points and it's clear that some buyers only think about their situation and not about what's happening at the seller's end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure