Orange Cash Card (Prepaid Mastercard) service shuts down 23.59 September 30th

Options

Comments

• samieuk1
    Options
    I strongly urge anyone thinking of using this card to read here and more in depth post i will be writing soon
    it has been a catalogue of inept failures and woeful communication of a don't care company .It has left me stranded in Thailand having to try and unload £4500 of my money at huge cost to us customer service is a failure fail fail fail don't go near it there are many other reputable pre pay company's
  • samieuk1
    Options
    I strongly urge anyone thinking of using this card to read here and more in depth post i will be writing soon
    it has been a catalogue of inept failures and woeful communication of a don't care company .It has left me stranded in Thailand having to try and unload £4500 of my money at huge cost to us customer service is a failure fail fail fail don't go near it there are many other reputable pre pay company's
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    samieuk1 wrote: »
    I strongly urge anyone thinking of using this card
    Which card? None of those mentioned here are suitable for foreign use.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    Which card? None of those mentioned here are suitable for foreign use.

Both are.

"The OPTIMUM Prepaid MasterCard is accepted anywhere that MasterCard is accepted – that’s over 36 million locations worldwide."
    http://www.myoptimumcard.co.uk/benefits/

CAT TalkHome
    "Apply for an additional card specifying a friend or family member overseas as the card holder."
    https://www1.talk-home.co.uk/CCReadMore.aspx
  • eDicky
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    Both are.

"The OPTIMUM Prepaid MasterCard is accepted anywhere that MasterCard is accepted – that’s over 36 million locations worldwide."
    http://www.myoptimumcard.co.uk/benefits/

CAT TalkHome
    "Apply for an additional card specifying a friend or family member overseas as the card holder."
    https://www1.talk-home.co.uk/CCReadMore.aspx
    I used the word "suitable". With their bad exchange rates, high foreign usage charges, likely problems and mediocre CS to resolve them, it would be a mistake to use such cards overseas, especially when there are much better alternatives.
  • eDicky
    Options
    I was surprised to discover that I can top up my Revolut prepaid MasterCard using the Optimum card - I expected it to be rejected as a credit card. Anyone not happy with the Optimum card and using an iPhone or Android might consider the Revolut, astonishingly versatile and charges no fees (for the first year at least) worldwide.
  • PerfectChristmas
    Options
    I only got mine today after waiting since September and being fobbed off (on the rare occasion they actually replied to my emails!)

If it wasn't my source of funding for ebay/paypal, I wouldn't use the card after all this hassle. I thoguht it was just me who was on the receiving end of such poor customer service but it seems everyone is...!

I've just logged in and the old balance (all 13p of it) is there alongside all my details. Really hoping I don't need to ring them to activate it and waste a pound as all the info is already there and attached to the card.
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is now two years since the Optimum Card to replace my Orange Cash card arrived much belatedly.

On 6th August 2017 I received an email "Your OPTIMUM Prepaid Mastercard® will expire soon. We can't believe it's that time already - it's been great having you with us. And because you've been actively using your card, we're sending you out a brand new card - free of charge."

The old card expires on 30th September but there is no sign of a replacement . In my experience most card providers issue replacement cards 2-4 weeks before the old ones expire. Not Optimum. Once again I have taken the precaution of reducing my balance to £0 as I have no confidence that a replacement card will arrive before the old one expires. This time I will not be chasing.
  • eDicky
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    This time I will not be chasing.
    I should hope a not, why pay all their fees when you can have a prepaid card with zero fees such as Loot or Monzo, or a basic bank account with card..?

I never used the Optimum card that replaced my OrangeCash, except to unload it by using it to top-up my Revolut.
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    I should hope a not, why pay all their fees ...

As I have not withdrawn cash, spent only in the UK and topped up by bank transfer I have paid no fees to Optimum. It has served my purposes at no cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure