Don't let the Banks rip you off

Options

Comments

• Cas
    Cas Posts: 236 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Keeping your finances in good order is part of our conditions of employment. And I'm permanent staff and have been for 17 years.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
  • Shylock
    Shylock Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spent most of this morning on 'phone to Natwest trying to get a £35 charge for refusing a Direct Debit lifted. Noticed over weekend I'd be up to my o/d limit so arrived on branch doorstep at 9:00 am on Monday when DD was due and paid in more than enough hard cash to cover it. Statement clearly showed cash credited to account as first transaction on day DD was due but they still refused it and charged me £35 for privelage.

Corporate Robotniks on the end of the 0845 number that is jokingly listed as my local branch number (but were in-fact 200 miles away) were incapable of doing anything other than quote me the terms of business. These, apparantly, require enough funds to be present the previous working day to a DD being presented. Quite difficult as these dates tend to vary slightly from month to month. Was expected to wait 3 hours for a more senior Robotnik to ring me back but after stamping feet and scweaming (and holding for 10 mins.) I got to speak to the one they'd obviously sent on the "how to deal with difficult customers" course who repeated the same mantra with Spock-like indifference.

What's really annoying is that they put these complaints through to their Lending Office as they see it as an oportunity to sell a loan. On a previous occasion under similar circumstances they hinted that if I took out a loan to clear my overdraft they'd look favourably on getting any charges lifted.

Eventually spoke to their complaints office where a nice young lady agreed to credit the charge but warned me "not to do it again" (not sure what I'm not supposed to do again...bank with NatWest?).

Now looking for a nice friendly bank manned by real people who value their customers. Doesn't even have to be the cheapest!
  • frepol
    frepol Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    Ulster Bank (same parent company) give you until 12.00 on the day it's due to pay funds in!
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    Options
    Taking some of the points on this thread in turn,

(1) extortionate charges

I don't see what's extortionate about charging you £25 for breaching the terms of your current account. £25 is nothing compared to the costs of operating current accounts - and nothing compared to what banks used to charge their customers before they introduced "free" banking. And then they didn't pay interest on current accounts!

If charges like this are explained in the terms of the account (and under the Banking Code, they have to be) then they are not unfair. The Guardian article might be written by a barrister, but it's tosh. He says "if they were convinced by their charges, they'd go to court over them". P...lease! For £25? Get a life and a brain, Mr Barrister.

(2) Direct Debit and having the funds in your account

It is not unreasonable to expect you to have funds in your account at 0001 on the day the DD is taken. Banks process transactions on a 24 hour basis and DDs are often processed first thing in the morning, so that the systems operate quickly during the working day for customers' benefit. So of course you should have the funds there in time. Putting cash in on the day of the transaction is not a sensible way to behave.

As for "the date of these transactions can vary either way by a few days" ... er, exactly. So why are you paying it in on the last possible day by cash? Try planning ahead some or get an authorised overdraft limit set up (normally free) so that it's not a problem. The interest on £1000 (say) for 1 day at an authorised rate is a few pence - and it avoids all the hassle if you happen to mess up your calculations by 1 day.

Cas's point about asking more than one member of staff to refund charges isn't going to work in general - banks do keep records of customer calls (they have to) and the second person isn't going to overturn their colleague's decision just because you "try it on". If you have a good case, and you are talking about escalating to a senior member of staff, then you might have a chance but I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • Shylock
    Options
    1) Extortionate Charges

It wasn't £25 it was £35, plus probably something similar from the payee who didn't get their money in time. It would appear from this mornings Money Mail that the OFT disagree with MarkymarkD. They suspect that these charges are disproportionate to the cost and are maybe used to subsidise court costs against big-time defaulters? A consequence of this is the banks may be quite pleased when Mr Average (including me!) temporarily flouts the T&C's as it's alleged they make good profit from the charges (so far I understand they're refusing to reveal how much). Hence, I suspect, NatWests beligerance.

2) Direct debit and having the funds in your account

Agreed, putting cash in on the day of the transaction is not a sensible way to behave; but it was the only way to behave in the circumstances (discovering at a weekend that an expected credit hasn't arrived) and was a genuine attempt to stay within the terms of the account. Having taken the time & trouble to withdraw cash from a Buiding Society account and phsically pay it in first thing Monday I didn't think it unreasonable to request the charge be credited (I would for a long-standing, valued customer). Eventually, after a lot of effort, I achieved this; but it has left a sour taste and a desire to find a new bank.

Cas's point worked for me. The Lending Office (which is where you end up by default) refused point blank to credit the charge; no wavering; you've 'ad it son! The Customer Care office (who's number they eventually offered after they gave up trying to sell me a loan) agreed immidiately to credit it as it had been "an honest mistake, but don't do it again".

I know the days of local branch Bank Managers (in the cupboard?) have disppeared but getting put through to a glorified loan shark when you want to discuss a grievance is taking it too far.
  • MarkyMarkD
    Options
    It would appear from this mornings Money Mail that the OFT disagree with MarkymarkD.  They suspect that these charges are disproportionate to the cost and are maybe used to subsidise court costs against big-time defaulters?  A consequence of this is the banks may be quite pleased when Mr Average (including me!) temporarily flouts the T&C's as it's alleged they make good profit from the charges (so far I understand they're refusing to reveal how much).
    The OFT are really missing the point here.

It does not make any sense to try to break down the elements of a banking contract, and to prescribe that banks can't make money on any of the elements.

Banks are profit-making institutions - it's their JOB to make money for their shareholders.

There are elements in a personal current account contract which are loss making - allowing free cheque payments, allowing free cash withdrawals, providing promotional 0% interest free periods when you open the account, or whatever.

These can ONLY be funded by making a profit on other elements of the contract - basically, overdrawn interest charges and charges for breaching the terms of the contract.

I think arguments of extortion and disproportionality are simply mis-guided.

"Used to subsidise court costs against big-time defaulters?" Pah! Court costs are recovered FROM the big-time defaulters when they lose their cases. They aren't skimmed off from other customers through excessive charges.

As I said before (or thought it if I didn't say it) as long as charges are explained clearly up-front, you agreed to them and you should live with it.

I understand your reasons for not having the money there in time - but you agree that you DID NOT have the money there in time. You've "got away with it" this time. I doubt you will again.

And offering a loan to someone who is having difficulty remaining within their agreed overdraft limit (or their £0 limit if that was the case) is not an unreasonable step for a bank to take, is it? A personal loan is a more appropriate way to manage a debt than an unauthorised overdraft and will be less expensive to the customer.
  • Shylock
    Options
    Haven't worked out the quote tool, so apologies for "cut 'n' paste" approach:-

MarkyMarkD said - "Banks are profit-making institutions - it's their JOB to make money for their shareholders."

Absolutely. And I wish a bit more of those profits went towards making up the shortfalls in my Pension and Endowment funds. Probably broaden the discussion beyond the scope of this Forum to get into the "Fat Cat"/Corporate Ethics/Government Interferance debate. As you can probably, tell I'm of the opinion that without occasional interferance by bodies such as the OFT our Financial Institutions and their Executives would be even more self-serving than they are presently.

MarkyMarkD said - "There are elements in a personal current account contract which are loss making - allowing free cheque payments, allowing free cash withdrawals, providing promotional 0% interest free periods when you open the account, or whatever.

These can ONLY be funded by making a profit on other elements of the contract - basically, overdrawn interest charges and charges for breaching the terms of the contract."

So there it is. Penalties for breaches of T&C's are NOT to dissuade you from doing so; they're not to recover the cost of such breaches; in fact they are an important revenue stream that the bank relies on to finance it's business.
    The Marketting men say "We need to be appearing to offer free banking and interest on current a/c's" and the Financial guys say "OK we'll fund it by ripping off the punters who occasionaly get their timing wrong".

You could argue that it doesn't really matter if they make their profit through up-front transaction charges or if it's "hidden" in Penalties etc.. Personally I'd prefer openess and transparancy; and so, it would seem, does RBS Chief Exec. Sir Fred Goodwin. In the Introduction to last years RBS "Corporate Responsibility Report" he says:-

"...we run our business responsibly – with integrity and openness delivering optimum financial results within clearly defined business principles...."

In my opinion he still has a little way to go with regard to Penalty Charges.

MarkyMarkD said - "offering a loan to someone who is having difficulty remaining within their agreed overdraft limit is not an unreasonable step for a bank to take, is it?"

No, your right it isn't. And it's good business practice providing your OPEN about what your doing (it's that word again). But when you dial a phone number purporting to be your local branch to discuss a grievance and get put through to a centralised Lending Office (who do not introduce themselves as such) who are, I suspect, "incentivised" to sell you a loan rather than resolve your grievance...well, I think Sir Fred ought to take a look at that area of his business as well.

We will all have different ideas about what constitutes a "rip off" and if your well organised enough to exploit free banking to it's full advantage without falling in the penalty trap (and I guess the a lot of visitors to this site are!) you're unlikely to have too much sympathy with those that do. But for the majority of people their bank account is one of lifes necessities that they just want to run seamlessly in the background, trusting they're getting a fair deal and without having to read the small print every time a new version of the T&C's drops on the doormat. I suppose I can thank NatWest for waking me from that stupor!
  • MarkyMarkD
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. To quote something just put "[ QUOTE ]" without the spaces and quote marks before it and "[ /QUOTE ]" without the spaces and quote marks after it. Like this
    here's a quote

I don't know why some banks do this "fake local number" thing. It is just dishonest and I can't see any benefit in it. Some banks are even worse, and use 0870 numbers or 0845 numbers for their branches so you have to over-pay for the call.

At least a call centre number should look like a call centre number IMHO!

I think we have Co-op Bank to blame (or is my memory wrong) for starting the slippery slope to "free banking" which is patently a non-runner as banks aren't charities. I agree with you that an open approach is what matters.
  • MAGICCAT_3
    Options
    The point your making about what banks used to charge before 'free' (there's the first joke) banking is a piece of nonsense because that was in the days when you were paid cash in hand and could avoid the banks and their rip off ways altogether. Now almost everyone who works in a legit job must have a bank account to lodge their salary into. It is a total monopoly. I suspect it's also no coincidence that broadly speaking all the high street banks have roughly the same rip off charges as each other. You couldn't put a fag paper between them and unfortunately the more people don't question them the longer they will get away with it
  • johnllew
    johnllew Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know why some banks do this "fake local number" thing.  It is just dishonest and I can't see any benefit in it.  Some banks are even worse, and use 0870 numbers or 0845 numbers for their branches so you have to over-pay for the call.

At least a call centre number should look like a call centre number IMHO!
    Many people know about this handy little site but perhaps worth mentioning again:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

Avoids many of those non-geographic numbers and comes up with a lot of freephone numbers too. It's saved me a fortune.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure