Electric cars

Options

Comments

• welfayre
    welfayre Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I doubt any ICEV's will still be selling/sellable in 2040 anyway, but nice to see Shell on board.

Shell would support UK bringing forward petrol ban from 2040

Hmmm not sure that article is saying Shell are on board with the switch. Read to me that they're looking to minimise their investmeny in the UK before moving production to more prosperous (for them) countries.
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The packs contain the exact same number of cells - 192 - they're just higher-capacity cells, 65Ah instead of 36Ah. They're the same generic 18650 format as Tesla use in the S and X packs.

Not on the Zoe it does not use 18650s it uses an array of plastic pouches, as per the image below

longer-range-renault-zoe-electric-car-introduced-at-2016-paris-motor-show_100568304_m.jpg
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    D'oh. My brain has clearly been fast-charged too many times today. I thought 65Ah sounded rather substantial for an 18650, too. It's the Leaf that uses 18650s. I still can't wrap my head around Renault-Nissan having two such ostensibly similar EVs with so little commonality.
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    D'oh. My brain has clearly been fast-charged too many times today. I thought 65Ah sounded rather substantial for an 18650, too. It's the Leaf that uses 18650s. I still can't wrap my head around Renault-Nissan having two such ostensibly similar EVs with so little commonality.

I know, its like they decided it was best to spend twice as much on research and Development...

Hey but on the bright side at least Renault spent Money on the active cooling in the Zoe so you can rapid charge it multiple times a day without the car melting :rotfl:

This is an interesting PDF on how Renault see things going..

http://cii-resource.com/cet/AABE-03-17/Presentations/BMGT/Delobel_Bruno.pdf
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    welfayre wrote: »
    Hmmm not sure that article is saying Shell are on board with the switch. Read to me that they're looking to minimise their investmeny in the UK before moving production to more prosperous (for them) countries.
    Hi

Odd ... I read it that Shell have accepted that the changeover to EVs will happen in the more prosperous countries first, with less developed economies, such as those in Africa, being the last to change over to EVs (for obvious economic & infrastructure reasons) ...

It doesn't really make much sense to read 'UK' into the decision as the rate of changeover to EVs will be broadly similar across Europe and other 'developed' regions ... it's also notable that petrol prices in less developed countries are normally considerably lower than the UK or Europe, by the looks of it it's mainly between 1/3 & 1/2 of UK litre pricing in African nations ... granted, much of the difference could be related to national tax policies, however, wherever fuel tax is low price volatility at the pump becomes an issue as it drives demand, particularly so in poorer economic regions.

Chances are that they're simply looking whether to have a final round of major plant investment, or extend the service life of what's already in place ... current EV timetables probably provide a date which falls into an inconvenient slot between the optimal position for the two options, leaving them in an investment quandary ... however, what suits Shell's timetable may not suit their competitors!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Reading this thread kind of reinforces my prejudices about electric vehicles. Namely that battery tech just isn't there yet. Li-On batteries begin degrading the moment they pop out of the production line.

300 charge cycles or so and the internal corrosion has knocked off 8% of their capacity, and realistically what is the range of a brand new fully charged Nissan Leaf with the stereo on loud, the heather blowing heat, and headlights on - 100 miles?

Talk me round because I really want this technology to work, but as it stands the human race can't find a way to make a laptop battery that will hold a charge after two years, how are we meant to abandon petrol vehicles?
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Arklight wrote: »
    Reading this thread kind of reinforces my prejudices about electric vehicles. Namely that battery tech just isn't there yet. Li-On batteries begin degrading the moment they pop out of the production line.

300 charge cycles or so and the internal corrosion has knocked off 8% of their capacity, and realistically what is the range of a brand new fully charged Nissan Leaf with the stereo on loud, the heather blowing heat, and headlights on - 100 miles?

Talk me round because I really want this technology to work, but as it stands the human race can't find a way to make a laptop battery that will hold a charge after two years, how are we meant to abandon petrol vehicles?

I don't think that 8% after 300 charging cycles can be right. We've had a Leaf for nearly 4 years (done over 100,000 miles in it), charging nearly every day - often more than once -, and the battery is still at about 96% of the theoretical maximum.

Obviously this is only one data point, it would be interesting to get an overall picture of battery degradation from a good sized sample. I'm sure that Nissan (at least) have this as the car sends info about its performance for every journey.
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 6 July 2018 at 11:59AM
    Options

You have obviously been to @AdrianC school of battery engineering.

Yes the chemical reaction of electricity storage/discharge in your phone/laptop battery is the same as in EV battery packs but to compare the two is just like comparing the internal combustion engine in a petrol lawn mower to a Formula 1 block :D.

Li-on is such awful technology that still good enough provide enough power to keep our 2.5 ton SUV on the tail of a V8 Ferrari convertible.....oh and the battery in our SUV has a 8 year unlimited miles warranty and is the SLOWEST car Tesla currently sell in the UK. How much maintenance will the owner of the Ferrari I followed spend on keeping the engine running over the next 8 years I wonder :).

https://youtu.be/j-uf9hf0jBk
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I think I've read answers to all these points already on the thread. Not sure how your prejudices can have been reinforced as I've found the comments of EV'ers on here really inspiring, with confirmation that the vehicles (and batts) do exactly 'what it says on the tin'.

Does it knock off 8%? I thought the Tesla & Teslanomics studies showed that they could do 200,000+ miles with less loss than that.

OK, a smaller batt would incur more charges for any given distance, but let's go a bit negative and use your 300 cycles for 8% loss scenario. That would be around 45,000 miles for a 40kWh Leaf (I think), or around 1,000 gallons of petrol and £5k.

With a replacement batt swop heading for less than £5k (I assume in the next decade), then that sounds OK, but of course at 92% capacity you wouldn't want to swop out the batt. If those 8% range miles were so critical you'd most likely buy a car with a larger range and sell the 92% EV on, or to another family member for whom 80%+ of original range is more than adequate.

BTW, the heater issue has been covered very recently and seems unimportant. I'm not sure what stereo you have in mind but I suspect permanent hearing loss would be more important than range loss if it was 'booming' enough to have any real impact.

The laptop battery is not a fair comparison. It's not designed to last long term, but for fast charge, and deep cycling. The EV batts don't truly allow 0-100% use as this impacts life expectancy, and simply avoiding a full charge if not necessary, can lengthen battery life.

Regarding the abandonment of petrol vehicles, well that's already begun. We may be in the early stages, but EV's now have the performance, range and infrastructure to cope with the requirements of a significant number of drivers, and these factors will only improve going forward.

Cost is an issue, but (again) referring to the advice/information posted on here by EV'ers, it seems acceptable when all costs of ownership are considered, and for many it appears to be cheaper. As the cost of EV's will only come down (more production, learning curves, and battery cost reductions), then it looks like the fight is over and EV's have won ........ we are just waiting whilst the referee counts very slowly to 10.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gzoom wrote: »
    You have obviously been to @AdrianC school of battery engineering.

Yes the chemical reaction of electricity storage/discharge in your phone/laptop battery is the same as in EV battery packs but to compare the two is just like comparing the internal combustion engine in a petrol lawn mower to a Formula 1 block :D.

Li-on is such awful technology that still good enough provide enough power to keep our 2.5 ton SUV on the tail of a V8 Ferrari convertible.....oh and the battery in our SUV has a 8 year unlimited miles warranty and is the SLOWEST car Tesla currently sell in the UK. How much maintenance will the owner of the Ferrari I followed spend on keeping the engine running over the next 8 years I wonder :).

https://youtu.be/j-uf9hf0jBk

I'm not unimpressed, but realistically, how far can the Ferrari owner go on his tank of fuel and how long does he need to stop for to refill it?

I think he's at the other end of the country while you're on your 3rd recharge point.

The battery warranty is impressive, but what does it cover? According to this if it drops below 70% then you get a replacement.

https://forums.tesla.com/en_GB/forum/forums/battery-warranty-model-s

70%? A car with a notional range of 300 miles on a flat road and constant speed without the heater or air con on, dropping to just over 200 under the same conditions is just wear and tear?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback