Should regs be posted on main board?

Blulu
Blulu Posts: 7,633 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
edited 7 October 2017 at 1:48PM in Compers chat corner
A brief discussion on another thread has prompted me to ask, should we be posting regular comps on the main board?

I think we should. When a new comp is posted directly to the regs, I'm sure that lots of us miss out on seeing them. I would have them posted on the main board, and then linking that post to the regulars board. I don't know what the best system would be:

1) Posting on the main board with an end date of E: 31/12

2) Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted

3) What about posting them all with an end date E: 31/13? Would this prevent them from being expired?

4) Any other suggestions?

5) Not posting them on the main board at all.

I have added a poll. Please vote, or if you are not sure, wait to see how the discussion goes and you can vote later when you've decided. Feel free to discuss/explain your choice.

Blu X
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apology
THIS IS ME!

Should reg comps be posted on the main board? 140 votes

Posting on the main board with an end date of E: 31/12
35%
PrudentEnigmatic_Mebecky004chickarooneeaspellathecrossbrownhandbagchocoholic123toniqgrannybikerFiona_Tcristalfionananto3girlsredrose1414RavenRaejanE1956nursey71ness13centsibleImmortalBeloved 49 votes
Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted
42%
libra10Dan29keaskinbabsrosegardenoliveoylyorkie18strawberri_shortcakemellfire**flycagsdspanglishKirrirachel38Salsa16Short-n-SweetbirderMinnibixbishopsgirlMakeandsave 59 votes
Posting them with an end date E: 31/13?
5%
misspriceMarg2k8Vixxx666rugmakerBluluDassiekinsdottyemmaHopefulwaft 8 votes
Any other suggestions?
2%
mjm3346sleepyjonesmorningpostie 3 votes
Not posting them on the main board at all
15%
pesky_princessBenhamsLCleanne2312Chyna-sridmatkittycattyMystic_CharmMidnighterthingamaBobPainkillerblinkeredjmilli2martinthebanditcompingtinkertink2010Charliebeargreedo420liane87bertiewhiteCharley_Boypinkfairy27 21 votes

Comments

• hdh74
    hdh74 Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted
    I find it hard to find things not on the main board and forget to go looking so yes please from me, in any format you like
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The rule in my years of Mse comping has been ALL comps go on main and from there they get syphoned off if need to be to daily/weekly/monthly etc.

No idea why that has changed or when.

x
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • Zanzib
    Zanzib Posts: 5,375 Forumite
    I rarely look at the regular comps thread, though I knew it was there it was just too time consuming to work through- especially if I've only got an hour to go through the latest additions to the main board.

As I sometimes have to comp by end date (during busy times of the year) option 1 would not work for me, so I voted for option 2 as I'd likely see it on the board and go and look at what's been added.
  • deb2112
    deb2112 Posts: 380 Forumite
    I voted option 2 as it seems to work well with the Take a Break and Puzzler mags. I go through all the new comps on the main board at the end of each day and cross comps I don't want to enter and save all the ones I do into a folder to go through whenever I've a spare few minutes. That way I pick up any regular comps on the day they are listed providing they are put on the main board first and then I have another folder for daily/weekly comps that I add them into. I only look on the regular comps threads once in a blue moon.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    Any other suggestions?
    toniq wrote: »
    The rule in my years of Mse comping has been ALL comps go on main and from there they get syphoned off if need to be to daily/weekly/monthly etc.

No idea why that has changed or when.

x

This one from January last year didn't last 48 hours on the main board before it was merged with a post in the regulars

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69932951&postcount=80
  • toniq
    Without raking up a very contentious debate from several years ago, Mse butted in and stated everyone should get a chance to see the comp before it gets put in a different section of comps board. They wanted comps board accessible to all, that's newer compers, ones that pass through here and there and the regs.

Still seems fair, ongoing comps used to be posted with end of year date and every new year they would get posted again, again can't see why it would need to change.

x
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • mjm3346
    Any other suggestions?
    Any other suggestions?

Weekly competitions are supposed to be posted on the Main each week and not just once with a final date as that is no good for end-daters who only see the final week, on that basis just one post with a 31/12 date would mean them missing almost a years worth of draws (though that is still better than not being there at all). Sorting by date also doesn't pick up the mag threads as without a date they don't index and are dropped to one end or the other of the list and the same would happen with an undated thread for the daily "lottery" posts.

My suggestion is to have a post with a month-end date that has links to the sites and/or the individual threads in the regulars section and it is simply copied/quoted and re-posted each month (it's mainly the lottery type sites so there are not dozens of them)
  • toniq
    Though at some stage people do have to take the onus for their own comping and not expect to have it all on a plate, all it takes is a few folders on the taskbar and a routine and people would be fine.

Swings n roundabouts

x

Mse's template isn't that comping friendly and I don't think it ever really will be on a forum like this,

x
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • mjm3346
    Any other suggestions?
    These are various free to enter lottery sites with daily draws that need to be checked each day

By far the biggest just needs a postcode and email address to enter, over £800 a day up for grabs, biggest win so far £2501

https://freepostcodelottery.com/

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3295466

another postcode one

https://myfreepostcodelottery.com/

Date of birth

http://doblotto.com/

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5386645

another date of birth one

https://www.freebirthdatelottery.com/

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5430097
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 October 2017 at 7:03PM
    Posting them with an end date E: 31/13?
    I agree about people taking responsibility for their own systems. I think what works best is to ensure that, with very few exceptions (like C2W and those leading to spam) all comps should be posted on the main board, and all posted in a way that means they are seen by compers, regardless of which comping system they're using. So for end-daters, regular comps should be posted so they get to see them early on in the comp. As long as they have had a chance to see the comps, they can then bookmark them, subscribe or whatever method they like to do them on-going.

I suspect that most of us are singing from a very similar hymn sheet about this one :)

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income