How to haggle

A couple of people mentioned haggling in the teenager thread but rather than going off topic I thought I'd start a new thread.

The British hardly ever try it and are hopeless when they do. So here are my top 10 tips on how to go about it. Feel free to add more.

1. Haggle with the right person. Don't waste your breath on a shop assistant with no authority to negotiate. Ask to speak to somebody who can. Ignore any comments from low ranking shop assistants who say the prices are fixed.

2. Always haggle on high value items. Low value, fast moving items such as food have little room for negotiation as the market is already competitive and margins small, it will only work if you are buying in large quantities. However slow moving goods, e.g. fridges, have much more potential as margins are high, often 100%. That is not to say they are ripping you off - slow moving goods mean poor cash flow and lots of expensive store space, but it does mean they have room to maneuver to secure the sale.

3. Be prepared. You should have checked on the internet what prices you can get there before walking in to a shop so you know where to start. Printouts can help. I'd conveniently forget about the delivery costs though.

4. Don't lie. OK, sometimes it can work but more often you will come unstuck. I've heard people saying "somebody else said they will give it to me for £50 less" but then get unconvincingly evasive when pressed on who. If they think you are talking bull any hope of an offer will vanish.

5. Consider non-cash alternatives. To give you a discount on an item you want means a straight loss of profit for the seller. However they may be much more willing to give a discount in the form of a freebie, such as throwing in a kettle or free insurance. That kettle probably only cost them half the advertised price. Only do this if there is an additional item you really want. Also I'd suggest this later in the negotiation to further lower the price rather than straight off.

6. Ask for an offer. A good starting point is to ask them to make the first move. "I'd like that but it's too expensive, how much of a discount can you offer me?". They won't give their best price but it will give you a feel for their willingness. Follow it up with "Hmmm, I was hoping more for X".

7. Be prepared to walk away and try elsewhere.

8. Be prepared NOT to walk away. I was once offered a 5% discount. I said I'd look around other shops and see if I could improve on it - I might come back or I might not depending on what their competitors offered, but then said if they offered me 10% I would buy it there and then. After token resistance they caved in as soon as I said I was leaving. They just can't risk you going and not coming back.

9. Don't empathize. Don't feel sorry for them or buy because they were friendly. I still sometimes hear people say they bought something because the salesman was "such a nice young man". Amazing. Treat them with respect but they are not your friend. To them you are a business opportunity, and that is how you should view them too.

10. UNDERSTAND THE SALEMAN'S POSITION. This is perhaps the most important and comes into all the above points. They are keen to make a sale but not at a loss. You must strike them as a serious rational customer who has already made the decision to buy, you just haven't decided who to buy FROM. Do that and they will do whatever they can to get the sale. If you don't they have failed as a salesman. Making ludicrous offers or messing them around will just weaken your position.

Comments

• JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    A couple of my favourites are How much discount for cash? and How much discount if I buy 2? (or some other number greater than 1). ie. quantity discount. This can often work in book and record stores where you are buying a large number of books or CDs etc.
  • You'll often find that paying in cash for high value items will actually go against you. These places get commissions from finance companies so they WANT to sell the thing to you on the never never, so much like offering cash for a car from a dealerwon't get you any special discount, it's unlikely to be fruitful on white goods or whatever either.

Best thing to do is to pretend you want the thing on credit, find out what price they will give you then, and THEN turn round and say you'll actually pay cash. Makes it a lot harder for them to turn around and withdraw the offer without feeling very silly indeed.

Good luck!

Chris
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This just won't work in some stores - e.g. don't try this in Argos unless you're prepared to go when it's very quiet and find a member of management to talk to - none of the other staff can reduce prices and it's unlikely that management can without some sort of reason (e.g. clearance item/damaged packaging/missing instructions etc. on a particular item of stock. It may work to say it's cheaper elsewhere although I have known a member of management to say to a customer who said this just to go elsewhere then! Argos don't have a price match policy although sometimes they will do it.). If you go in when it's busy you're not likely to get anywhere as even management staff will be engaged with other customers.

Other stores with a more face-to-face sales approach may be better targets for this sort of thing.
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • It is indeed quite difficult to haggle in some stores (forget Army & Navy, they were so affronted I thought I was leaving by the nearest window!) but the independent shops seem to be more agreeable to negotiate on price.

One point I would make is that its not 'financial combat', you are dealing with a person and if you can be polite and relaxed about it and show a bit of humour it all helps (that pantomime horse outfit and penny whistle saved me pounds!!!!). However it does help to research the mark-up on goods if you can so that you are not pitching at a ridiculous discount. e.g. new cars used to start off with about a 14% dealer's margin so a 5-7% pitch maybe a good starting point.

Be interested if anyone has had a few good results with haggling......and if you need to wear a long false beard??

Peter
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Yes I have had good results. I don't do it often, just whenever I am spending large sums.

Here is an example. I was booking a group skiing holiday and I knew operators refuse to negotiate. However if you go through a travel agent they are paid commission and that is up for negotiation. So what I did is I arranged the holiday direct with the ski operator making sure I got all the usual group discounts. However instead of confirming it I put it on "Hold" which you can do for a day or two.

Next I phoned up a discount travel agent (I think it was Hayes Travel) and said that the holiday was all sorted, if I let them take over the final booking how much of a discount could I have. For a travel agent to take over an on-hold booking is as simple as giving them the reference number.

From their point of view all the hard work of selecting a resort and hotel had been done already, so this was easy money. As I result I managed to get a sizeable discount (sorry I forget the figure now). In fact I negotiated so well he phoned me up a couple of days later to say he had just realised he was making a loss and please could he increase the price slightly. I took pity on him and agreed.
  • Nice one Reaper.

A terrific example of knowing how the system works and using it to your advantage.

Nice to know even hagglers have a heart!!

Peter
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • Also - pick the right time of the month. If you go in at the end of the month the salesman will be more likely to give you some money off to try and boost his figures. At the start of the month he's probably not looking as closely at his target.
  • Big_Nige
    Big_Nige Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post
    Be interested if anyone has had a few good results with haggling......and if you need to wear a long false beard??

When I bought my house 3 1/2 years ago I went into Scottish Power (now powerhouse) & bought a cooker washing machine & fridge freezer. Not only did I negotiate a discount of £125 I also haggled for free delivery, & installation of the cooker (£15 for delivery & £15 installation.) I then had the cheek to get it 0% finance for 9 months which i also got.
    ;D
    Every day above ground is a good day.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Visit the site more or less every day - great content. Anyway, my first contribution...

My best ever haggle was when I bought my one and only brand new car (a Ford Mondeo) in June 2003.

I'd done some homework and checked the competition etc. Ford were selling off some old (3 months old) stock from the "airfields", to make way for the 2004 model year Mondeo to be released in September 2003. The dealer was doing 1.8LX's in base paint for £11,495 (list price earlier that year was £14,500).

I sat down and said "right - I'm buying today!". I then started to negotiate FREE...

1. Metallic paint
    2. Alloy wheels
    3. Mudflaps
    4. Carpet mats
    5. 12 months tax
    6. Full tank of fuel

And as if that wasn't enough, I managed to get 3 years interest free credit as well.

So, a £15,500 car for £11,495 over 3 years INTEREST FREE.

And yes, I did feel a little guilty walking out of the showroom.

I put most of my success down to...

1. Fords own need to get rid of old (albeit unregistered) stock.

2. Placing the order on the last Saturday of June (end of month/quarter/half-year etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure