Buildings Insurance Queries

Options
We’re in the process of buying a new house, however, we sold our old property last year and as it was flat we only had contents insurance anyway (buildings insurance was covered under our factors policy as we’re in Scotland). I now need to get contents and buildings insurance for the new property but I’m a little confused...

Firstly, we had issues in our flat where our upstairs neighbour flooded us on 3 separate occasions. On one occasion the damage was so severe that the communal buildings policy was claimed against. I’m trying to track down the exact details but finding it a bit difficult as I’m no longer a resident they aren’t able to tell me. Do I need to declare this as a claim? It was a communal policy not in my name at all.

We are planning on having some work done (new kitchen, bathroom, potential removal of wall, adding patio doors etc.), however, we won’t be able to get this done immediately as we haven’t got workmen lined up, etc. Will probably start about a month after we get the keys, maybe even longer. I’ve noticed on comparison websites that they ask if you’re having buildings work done. Do I tick yes or do I tick no and phone the insurers once we know when the work will be starting and what exactly will be done?

Also on the subject of patio doors, again we’re planning on adding these on. Do I tick no to this for now and add on later as we won’t have them immediately?

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We’re in the process of buying a new house, however, we sold our old property last year and as it was flat we only had contents insurance anyway (buildings insurance was covered under our factors policy as we’re in Scotland). I now need to get contents and buildings insurance for the new property but I’m a little confused...

Firstly, we had issues in our flat where our upstairs neighbour flooded us on 3 separate occasions. On one occasion the damage was so severe that the communal buildings policy was claimed against. I’m trying to track down the exact details but finding it a bit difficult as I’m no longer a resident they aren’t able to tell me. Do I need to declare this as a claim? It was a communal policy not in my name at all.

Yes you need to declare the claim, it was your property that was damaged. Were any of these claims recovered against the upstairs flat? I ask because 3 claims in your history will make you a poor risk to try and place, so it's better to have information like this to assist you.
    You may be better off using the services of a local Broker (not Swinton) who can speak to Underwriters and plead your case, especially as you're now looking to insure yourself at a different address.

We are planning on having some work done (new kitchen, bathroom, potential removal of wall, adding patio doors etc.), however, we won’t be able to get this done immediately as we haven’t got workmen lined up, etc. Will probably start about a month after we get the keys, maybe even longer. I’ve noticed on comparison websites that they ask if you’re having buildings work done. Do I tick yes or do I tick no and phone the insurers once we know when the work will be starting and what exactly will be done?

At inception you are not doing building work so tick 'no', but check before you buy the insurer can extend to continue cover when the renovations then begin.

Also on the subject of patio doors, again we’re planning on adding these on. Do I tick no to this for now and add on later as we won’t have them immediately?

Tick no, you don't have them yet. Don't forget to update the insurer when you do have them.

Answers above in the text.
  • scottishgirl87
    Options
    Thank you so much for such an informative answer!

With regards to the claims, it was only once we claimed through the insurance. The other 2 incidents we fixed ourselves so never went through the insurance. I understand they were trying to recover the costs from the neighbour upstairs but I don’t know if they were successful or not. I don’t know how much the claim cost but it involved ripping down our ceiling in 2 rooms and replacing it.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you claim for your own damage, or did the Factor claim for the landlord's damage? Because if it was the latter I don't see why you should need to disclose it to your new insurer at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure