(UC) forced to look for work.

WelshY1987
WelshY1987 Posts: 10 Forumite
Hi

Looking for advice my partner works 32-35hrs week we have 2 young children age 8-10 our claim for HB (housing benefit) was stopped due to care allowance income that was later closed as the claim affected the pension income of the person i cared for. now there is a break in the claim of HB council has said we gotta claim UC (Universal credit) to get a small amount of help of HB.

So I attended an interview along with my partner, they require me to look for work 35hr a week and to work with a work coach even though they are not paying me JSA or any other benefits. and even though my partner work pattern is all over the place a job for me is a no as she been in this job for 9 years and for me to get a job to fit around her and kids school runs, days off, night time is impossible they even threatening to sanction me(Us) even though they pay me nothing.

Is this allowed?

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They're paying you housing benefit as part of Universal Credit. Nowadays both adults in a couple are expected to work
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Im going to sound harsh but here goes. You can always do something, the kids are in school so you can find work, why have children if you cant support them without assistance?

If the HB help is small then you could always turn it down and not work at all.

Yes, its allowed fortunately.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    The rules under UC are considerably more stringent than they were under previous benefits. They expect people who are capable of working to look for work. Whether that is reasonable or not may be questionable depending on individual circumstances but it is what it is.
  • WelshY1987
    edited 7 June 2018 at 8:05PM
    my partner works, 6am-4pm 11am-6pm 2pm-12am 11-am-12am where do they expect me to find work that fit around her hours and still be there for the kids. what happens during school holidays. weekends. what employer is going to give this flexibility i know my partner employer want. so she can do it. and if it unsettles our finance it put the strain on the household that will cause a bigger effect on the system if we split/lose her job.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Perhaps your wife could ask to increase her hours so that you can continue to look after your children. I'm a SAHM and my husband works 50+ hours per week so that I have the luxury of taking our daughter to school/ collecting her and looking after her during school holidays.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    WelshY1987 wrote: »
    my partner works, 6am-4pm 11am-6pm 2pm-12am 11-am-12am where do they expect me to find work that fit around her hours and still be there for the kids. what happens during school holidays. weekends. what employer is going to give this flexibility i know my partner employer want so she can do it. and if it unsettles our finance it but the strain on the household that will cause a bigger effect on the system if we split/lose her job.

There’s many term Time jobs available, plus part time ones only in school hours.
  • WelshY1987
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Perhaps your wife could ask to increase her hours so that you can continue to look after your children. I'm a SAHM and my husband works 50+ hours per week so that I have the luxury of taking our daughter to school/ collecting her and looking after her during school holidays.

she has asked for more hours but the employer refused. she has been looking for a more hour job 45+ but none so far in her work role as a chef.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    my partner works, 6am-4pm 11am-6pm 2pm-12am 11-am-12am where do they expect me to find work that fit around her hours and still be there for the kids. what happens during school holidays. weekends. what employer is going to give this flexibility i know my partner employer want. so she can do it. and if it unsettles our finance it put the strain on the household that will cause a bigger effect on the system if we split/lose her job.

Your children are school age, not babies that need you to be home all day. You have 8 hours Mon-Fri when the children are at school. For school holidays you do what all other working parents do and take your 5 weeks holidays at different times/ask family to help out/use holiday clubs.

How on earth do you think most people living in the real world get by? You can't afford the luxury of being a SAHP, get over yourself and get a job.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

So get a term time job.

Teaching assistant, admin role in a school, school cleaner etc...

Most schools have very reasonable priced breakfast and after school clubs. I pay only £9 for 7.30am until 4.30pm.

Holiday clubs are also very reasonably priced if you cannot work term times.

Stop thinking what you CAN'T do, but what you CAN do.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • I'd just play the game. Last Saturday I applied for 2 jobs by Monday they had expired apparently... Employers never to be heard about again.

Employed and looking for work - today I had to take half day to attend an interview that was going to be an hour long but in and out in 20 mins I could have cried at money and time spent getting there, let alone wasted on work time/impacts my annual leave - it wasn't hard to be the less then ideal interview candidate, especially when claustrophobic in a small space. Could kick myself as the decline button was there even after I'd accepted the interview - live and learn! I've had 8 interviews in 2018 whilst working a 6 month temporary job (and 7 I simply had to turn down as some of the Employers made it clear they didn't want to interview me, fortunately, there is always tell tale signs if you look hard enough) as I can't put a gun to an Employer's head and make them give me a job, until they are despate for someone to start next day or whatever else so don't sweat it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure