Debt Collection Referral & Credit Score Impact

Options
Hello,
I am brand new to these forums, apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere. Back in December I sold, for the first time, two items on Ebay. To cut a long story short, sellers fees were incurred on both sales and, after a period of approximately two months had passed, the debt was referred to a collection agency. The debt was 20-odd pounds worth and was paid immediately upon me being informed that it had been passed to an outside agency, I received no contact from them other than the very initial email before I paid up. Would this have a lasting detrimental effect on my credit score?
Thank you!

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Satzenbrau wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am brand new to these forums, apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere. Back in December I sold, for the first time, two items on Ebay. To cut a long story short, sellers fees were incurred on both sales and, after a period of approximately two months had passed, the debt was referred to a collection agency. The debt was 20-odd pounds worth and was paid immediately upon me being informed that it had been passed to an outside agency, I received no contact from them other than the very initial email before I paid up. Would this have a lasting detrimental effect on my credit score?
    Thank you!

Hi,

Ebay does not report on your credit file does it, and neither does the tame debt collector for that type of debt, so it will not affect your credit report in any way, shape, or form.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    eBay often use Transcom as their collection partner, as I had a friend in a similar situation to this previously.

I wouldn't listen to threats about credit reporting or coming to your house, their scariest tactic is sending hostile letters and repetitive phone calls.

As you paid the debt, I can't see any further action on their end being exercised. Normally Transcom will attempt to charge a non-existent admin fee, but if you haven't heard anything from them regarding that since, then the case should be settled.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure