Is this a polite rejection

Comments

• I'm so old that in my day you didn't need a masters to get employment, in fact it was arguably a disadvantage if you were leaving academia.

Completely OT, but there was a programme on R4 tonight about the dilution or inflation of academic requirements for employment which is worth listening to; it's probably on a podcast.

PS: not meant as reflection on your masters, Brassic, but I know from your posts on MSE that you and other posters on this thread would find it interesting,

Was the radio programme Analysis at 8:30 pm? It is something I'm interested in.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 March 2018 at 6:58PM
    Oi, mush. Some of us do! :-)

PS: I wonder if anyone can guess which Russell Group uni from the above reply. It may take some knowledge of regional linguistic differences. :-)

Out of interest and without prying(!) which one was it? (My wife is very interested in regional linguistic differences).

EIT: Is it UEA?
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    That's what I thought when I read that post! I also didn't know you could get a degree in public relations.

I'm actually someone who doesn't worry too much about what a degree subject was, so long as it demonstrably had academic rigour. Is there a large body of research in "public relations"? (Could be some psychology I s'pose).

EDIT: When I did my masters at a Russell uni you could get a commendation (very few people and not me!) but apart from that they were unclassified.

My masters is a bit out of the ordinary, as it is awarded as a first degree, but like all other ones that I know of, there is no class attached to it. Same with the doctorate. I was awarded it, no class attached.

The OP seems to be a bit of a fantasist. Long-term unemployed, supposedly great degree that sounds pretty poor or made up, and desperate to get an unpaid job in a firm that does not want them.

I know that I may be wrong, but this first class masters just does not ring true.

OP, which UK institution are you saying awards first class masters degrees? This seems iffy.
  • 2018d
    2018d Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2018 at 9:40PM
    John-K wrote: »
    My masters is a bit out of the ordinary, as it is awarded as a first degree, but like all other ones that I know of, there is no class attached to it. Same with the doctorate. I was awarded it, no class attached.

The OP seems to be a bit of a fantasist. Long-term unemployed, supposedly great degree that sounds pretty poor or made up, and desperate to get an unpaid job in a firm that does not want them.

I know that I may be wrong, but this first class masters just does not ring true.

OP, which UK institution are you saying awards first class masters degrees? This seems iffy.

This is turning into abuse now, but just to shut you all up

I have a Law LLB First class
    LLM Distinction, both from SOAS ever heard of it?
    MS Public Relations from NYU (that is in the USA) where I was awarded a first 4.0 GPA, 100% (and yes, it is possible)

Btw Im not long term unemployed I have investments that generate an income, plus I RETRAINED, which ended 3 months ago and it is my choice which firms choose to work for, if they'll have me. If I choose to work unpaid for a set period of time ie 6 weeks in the vein of an internship that is my choice and not what this thread is about

But thanks your 'brilliant' speculation and detective work as well as your psychoanalysis of me being a fantasist John Smith, who no doubt got his Masters in Philosophy at the pub
  • John-K_3
    So you lied about the first class masters then?

Why the lie?

And you don!!!8217;t trump mine, sorry.

Now, get a job.
  • 2018d
    edited 13 March 2018 at 9:59PM
    This thread has served its purpose. Feel free to write whatever vile, dribble you like. I came here for constructive opinion of an unusual email, that was not worded in a typical rejection I have received before - not not to be attacked over everything.
    I thank those posters who have added constructive comments, especially the point of not being too proud in the future when they do contact me.I will accept the position whenever it id offered, and for those ignorant unpaid is a starting position, if they like your work they then keep you on paid and as a permanent employee.I am sorry if many of you are familiar with commercial reality
  • slashlover
    slashlover Posts: 51 Forumite
    2018d wrote: »
    This is turning into abuse now, but just to shut you all up

I have a Law LLB First class
    LLM Distinction, both from SOAS ever heard of it?
    MS Public Relations from NYU (that is in the USA) where I was awarded a first 4.0 GPA, 100% (and yes, it is possible)

Btw Im not long term unemployed I have investments that generate an income, plus I RETRAINED, which ended 3 months ago and it is my choice which firms choose to work for, if they'll have me. If I choose to work unpaid for a set period of time ie 6 weeks in the vein of an internship that is my choice and not what this thread is about

But thanks your 'brilliant' speculation and detective work as well as your psychoanalysis of me being a fantasist John Smith, who no doubt got his Masters in Philosophy at the pub

I really wonder why people find you arrogant OP.
  • John-K_3
    English is my first and only language.Not that for any reason it should even be an issue.

Funnily enough one of my 2 masters is in Public Relations (First Class )

This quote is why I am laughing at you, by the way. You still do not seem to understand that this bit of fantasy shows you to be dishonest.

To explain again to you, no, you do not have a first class masters, masters degrees are not classified like that. If you are going to invent a fantasy life, do some research first.
  • John-K_3
    This thread has served its purpose. Feel free to write whatever vile, dribble you like. I came here for constructive opinion of an unusual email, that was not worded in a typical rejection not to be attacked over everything.
    I thank those posters who have added constructive comments, especially the point of not being too proud in the future when they do contact me.I will accept the position whenever it id offered, and for those ignorant unpaid is a starting position, if they like your work they then keep you on paid and as a permanent employee.

I am sorry if. many of you are familiar with commercial reality

Your English is deteriorating further.

I am pretty familiar with commercial activity, I am a trader in an investment bank.

Would you like to send me your real CV? We pay graduates a pretty good starting wage.
  • 2018d

So you lied about the first class masters then?

Why the lie?

And you don!!!8217;t trump mine, sorry.

Now, get a job.

are you illiterate?

MS is a Master of Science.

Im done, I can't believe Im asking people like this for their opinion
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills